FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Confused about Hegemon/Polemarch

Author Topic: Confused about Hegemon/Polemarch
Salsa
Member # 10530

- posted      Profile for Salsa           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone. I'm new here and..

I just finished reading Shadow of the Hegemon today. I've already read Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow and I'm just a bit confused about wehat Hegemon and Polemarch are.

I kind of understand that the Hegemon is the "ruler" of the world but I'm confused about the Polemarch. Is it a person that works with the Hegemon? Then when I just heard about Strategos I was thinking--what?

Sorry if I'm being an idiot [Smile]

Posts: 49 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Hegemon is like an executive/president thing. The Strategos, I think, is some kind of military master mind. I don't really know what the Polemarch would be by contrast.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, from what I understood, the Hegemon is like a world wide president. The strategos was the "general" of the IF forces stationed on earth. The Polemarch, by contrast, was the "Head Admiral" of the fleet that was NOT stationed on earth.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Based on Greek names for the same positions.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salsa
Member # 10530

- posted      Profile for Salsa           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I pretty much understand it all...just a bit confused about the polemarch. But it's not a big deal.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.