FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Vista

Author Topic: Vista
Vid
Member # 7172

- posted      Profile for Vid   Email Vid         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so I was roused from my forum dormancy by OSC's latest essay about everything, where he laments that one can't buy a laptop without Vista any more. I did a quick search hoping to prevent a double post and came across a thread from June-August with many users sharing their loathing of Microsoft's latest OS.

I'm curious now to see if anyone has been working on a Vista machine for at least a couple months and how they like it. My wife and I bought a Dell with Vista on it (to learn how to use it without worrying as much about drivers and whatnot). After the initial learning curve - which was steeper than XP, but not impossible - and a little issue with Symantec (which was fixed by switching to avast!), we both love using it. Being the nice husband I am, I let her play WoW on the fast, reliable Vista machine, while I endure XP bluescreens on my 18-month-old PC.

I find those Mac commercials kind of funny, actually, with the PC guy campaigning for people to stick with Vista. A number of engineers (electrical and software, mostly) that I work with have switched to Vista and love it, after taking the time to figure it out. In fact, the only person I know who doesn't like her Vista runs a slightly un-legal software downloading operation. So apparently Vista's security measures don't let you illegally download $500 software packages... yes, I hear the violin in the distance too. It's a very sad song.

Anyway, I'll end my monologue and get back to the question:

Have you stuck with Vista? How do you like it?

Posts: 162 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm running Vista on a home laptop and my primary work machine. It's okay, but I would say it's largely a step backwards -- except in terms of stability. It's much more stable than XP so far. I find the UI incredibly infuriating, though, especially the networking components, and think Sidebar is a poor version of Yahoo's widget app. (In fact, Sidebar is responsible for most of the system lag and stability problems I've experienced; with it off, Vista runs much better.)
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razputin
Member # 9522

- posted      Profile for Razputin   Email Razputin         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using Vista Home Premium on my laptop and have no complaints but I am only using it as a email/Net access. For PC gaming I am still using my single-core + DX9 Video card + Windows XP machine...there is still evidence of better frame rates under XP than Vista in cases like mine...
Posts: 40 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
It's much more stable than XP so far.

I think you've had a highly unlikely combination of a stable Vista experience with an unstable XP experience. I have read tons of complaints about driver issues with Vista that are non-existent on XP. XP SP2 is also generally considered the most stable Microsoft OS. It has never crashed on me.

Consider yourself unlucky with XP and lucky with Vista [Razz]

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
The only real problems I've had with either XP or Vista comes with bad hard drives. On both my laptop(XP) and my dad's(Vista), the hard drive failed, causing errors more than once before I realized what the problem was.

Although I prefer Ubuntu Linux, to either, I will always have at least a XP partition, and I may upgrade to vista here shortly. It all depends on the money, really.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Overall I am grudgingly starting to like it. However, from a networking perspective , all of the parity, integrity, and security checks on data makes it much slower then XP--albeit more reliable.

The drivers issue should be resolved by now. I heard that there were problems because they made fundamental changes to the kernal after they released information for third parties to make drivers. But that should all be cleared up by now.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.