FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What We Dissagree With OSC About (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What We Dissagree With OSC About
Clandestineguitarplayer
Member # 11571

- posted      Profile for Clandestineguitarplayer   Email Clandestineguitarplayer         Edit/Delete Post 
You're Jewish! Sweet! Do you have one of those sweet jewish accents?
Posts: 93 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
O_o

Do you mean a New York accent?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you sound like the Jewish mother on South Park? [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Not nearly as nasal.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GodSpoken
Member # 9358

- posted      Profile for GodSpoken           Edit/Delete Post 
Disagreements, yeah.

Number one would have to be politics. I find I am almost directly opposite on most issues, even though I relate very strongly to many of his characters and story lines and find them nearly perfectly written to my taste (lol-even Ender's vile wife.)

I have noticed many real life political representations are present in some of my best loved books, though. There is autocracy and theocracy (rarely good things in real life), there are shades of aristocracy and militarism (we the elite and we the military know what is good for people, where they, the poor sots, know not..), and there is secrecy and suppression of information for the good of the people, etc.

I also read in a sort of elevation of irrationality - characters who are resistant to self-reflection (or learning) because of emotional damage seem to be put in an exempt and elevated category; as if one should tolerate hideous behaviors (not the actual person) in honor of the emotional handicap, and make others (support people) responsible for the actions of the "actors-out". It seems that if you have a good excuse and can rationalize your personalization of events and paranoia's, you get to wallow in your pain and throw it on everyone else and be honored for it. Very true to life, but kind of funny how the most balanced characters promote protecting the illness, not the person with the illness.

There also seems to be two themes regarding emotion at play, one for males and one for females. Males seem to come to grips and learn from errors and tragedy, where females more frequently remain victims for life and become resistent to sense. The characters who do not represent affliction seem evenly written (any characteristics can be applied to any gender), just seems to me to be regarding damage.

These are only passive observations, and completely opinions without merit or a fact base. Fiction is art for me, and OSC's is the top of my list for the wonderful conflicts and realisms (as above) he puts in. I fear we should not sip tea together at a political gathering, however.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
i dont know
bean shouldnt die i love him

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.