FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The Iron Man Move, Ultimate Iron Man & OSC *SPOLIERS POSSIBLE*

Author Topic: The Iron Man Move, Ultimate Iron Man & OSC *SPOLIERS POSSIBLE*
Ish
Member # 11579

- posted      Profile for Ish   Email Ish         Edit/Delete Post 
This is more of a speculative topic than anything else...

Though, I would LOoove to hear OSC's actual opinion on the film.

I just wanted to see the temperature of Marvel Comic fans, specifically those who read the Ultimate Iron Man series by OSC and have seen the movie or are interested in the movie.

How did you feel about the characters, design and growth in the movie as contrast to Iron Man and Ultimate. Was there anything missing that you want to see.

Most importantly, do you think there will be an Iron Man two? Or, what kind of universe are they in (It was hard for me to decide the universe myself on this movie).

So thats my challenge, lets pick apart this movie till we hate it (of course label your spoilers or hide them or something).

~Ish

Posts: 44 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
Ish, as someone who has prowled this site for many years, and not to be disheartening, please stick to the other side of the wall. Your throwing OSC into the picture doesn't make for a good thread.

If you want Iron man, just talk about Iron man, we don't need so many Iron man threads.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish
Member # 11579

Apologies,

But none of the other threads (and I did look at them) Seem to want to actually talk about the things I wanted to talk about.

OSC wrote ultimate iron man, and as someone who repsects his opinion and the opinions of those who read his work, I wanted to know what people felt about the three aspect of Iron man we currently have in society. Iron man the Movie, Iron man the previous comics, and Iron man the Ultimate series as written by OSC.

I did NOT want a discussion about "how great the movie is" or how much you should go see it. I wanted to talk about picking it apart, and talking about what makes it a good addition to the iron man saga.

I am in no way "Throwing" OSC into the picture. He did that himself when he started writing for Marvel. I am merely asking for peoples perspectives, and hoping for his own.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked OSC's take on Tony Stark about as much as I liked Mark Millar's, albeit for different reasons.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish
Member # 11579

*possible spoiler warning* (though if you know the comics then there are no spoilers here)

I think the main idea of Ultimate Iron man was much more Futuristic with a realistic "could-happen" tone in it.

Whereas this whole "shrapnel through the heart" thing, while a good motivator to create the suit for stark himself, is not really held up by anything. He moves around so much and is increasing his adrenaline and blood pressure constantly. The ammount of technology it would take to create a variant energy arc that could precisely tune it's electromagnetic pulsations to the rise and fall of Tony's chest and changes in biorythmics.

Whereas, the ultimate series gives him a semi-super power (neural tissue all over the body) and provides his armor with weaknesses and logical faults to provide him with realism. Also, the reasoning for creating the many different armors he wears is simple: The pain he goes through due to his "power" requires something to protect him.

I don't know, I feel like the tension in Ultimate better reflects the realism, as does the movie. Which is why I think the two are incredibly relateable.

I wonder how everyone feels about the AGE of tony stark in the movie as opposed to the comics?
~Ish

Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Batman vs. Ironman. That is what I want to know.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Which one has more money?
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clandestineguitarplayer
Member # 11571

- posted      Profile for Clandestineguitarplayer   Email Clandestineguitarplayer         Edit/Delete Post 
Batman definitely... But I think its pretty close... Batman in my onion though has a larger (and cooler) assortment of gadgets that dont just blow stuff up... Then there's the Green Goblin, yet another super-rich super-hero... Except he's dead so... I think that means he loses... After all, you cant take it with you! [Big Grin]
Posts: 93 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Downey Jr. is hotter than Christian Bale, so Iron Man wins.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on if it's Christian Bale with Katie Holmes or Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Actually, I think Christian Bale is too young for me to really feel okay about lusting after. Not that I should be lusting after anyone anyway. But if I am going to lust after a movie actor, RDJr. seems slightly less creepy.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.