FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Don Sakers disses OSC

Author Topic: Don Sakers disses OSC
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently purchased a (very) short story from Fictionwise by Don Sakers called Gamester. In a nutshell, it's about a child who saves Earth from an alien invasion by directing battle through a video game.

After this 7 page story, Sakers has a 3 page afterword, in which he states the following:

"At last, all those hours playing Galaga at Colossus Pizza would pay off! By torturing my brain at great length, I came up with the then-original idea of someone defending Earth by playing a video game (at that time—did I mention it was 1980?—Ender's Game was still a decade in the future)."

First off, it wasn't a decade in the future, it was 5 years in the future. But even worse, Sakers apparently doesn't know that the original Ender's Game short story was published in Analog in 1977. The smugness I perceived in his claim of the original idea incensed me.

Within minutes, I found a contact email for Saker's and wrote up a civil but gruff indication of his error about how original his idea was. My cursor was hovering over the Send button, and my finger was halfway down. Then I thought, perhaps it isn't really my place to be calling him out like this. I didn't send it.

But I couldn't help expressing my (admittedly mild and somewhat silly) outrage by "telling" on him here.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah -- go ahead and push the button [Smile]

[ May 08, 2008, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: kacard ]

Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
lol
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
In all seriousness, I'd send it. If you were feeling actively angry at the guy when you wrote the message it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a rewrite when you're feeling cooler-headed, but definitely send him a message.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kacard:
Ah -- go ahead and push the button [Smile]

Do it. What a wiener! This guy is a sci-fi writer, yet he doesn't know about the origins of one of the most well-known sci-fi novels of all time?

Who doesn't know that Ender's Game was a short story in analog in the late 70s? I thought everybody who loves the genre knew that.

PUSH THE BUTTON, FRANK!

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure who Don Sakers is, but if he's read Ender's Game and thought his idea was stolen without even doing the minimal research necessary to figure out it was first a short story - then he's out of line.

I have to wonder though, was he REALLY claming that he had the idea "first" - or just saying that he got the idea without first reading Ender's Game. After all - lots of good ideas can be generated independently by different people.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:
I'm not sure who Don Sakers is...

I think he may be most well-known for his story "The Cold Solution", which is a "retelling" of Tom Godwin's "The Cold Equations".

quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:
I have to wonder though, was he REALLY claming that he had the idea "first" - or just saying that he got the idea without first reading Ender's Game. After all - lots of good ideas can be generated independently by different people.

Whichever he meant, the words, "the then-original idea" just rubbed me wrong.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
i remember when i was a kid i was going to write a book about playing a video game to save the world, then osc read my mind and stole the idea!

Also, it seems wierd that he would add that in, since i was the "video game" part of the story very.. insignifigant to the story.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who doesn't know that Ender's Game was a short story in analog in the late 70s? I thought everybody who loves the genre knew that.

I'll go you one better: Not only do i know that it was a short story in analog in the late 70's, i actually got my hands on an original copy of that issue of analog, AND got OSC to sign it!

Now, for the kicker: That issue of Analog perished in an ugly breakup with the girl i had been dating at the time (along with an original copy of Capitol, also autographed). It is a VERY sore spot for me.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"That issue of Analog perished in an ugly breakup with the girl i had been dating at the time (along with an original copy of Capitol, also autographed). It is a VERY sore spot for me."

Punish her by forgetting she ever existed. That kind of behavior is pointless and inappropriate.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

Upon re-reading it Sean, I have to say that it rubs me wrong too... I was just in a generous mood that day I guess. Send it!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say you are right to correct him on his facts but be careful about making accusations. The concept of 'kid playing video games to save the world' is very common. I'm sure at least two or three movies have been made around that theme.

Remember exact stories can be stolen, but ideas can not. 'Video game kid saves the world' is a concept, I don't think it is possible to literally steal it.

But, yes, you are certainly right to correct this author on his facts.

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

"The concept of 'kid playing video games to save the world' is very common. I'm sure at least two or three movies have been made around that theme."

That is ridiculous. The Last Starfighter is clearly a culinary allegory about the woe riddled plight of a tomato.

"Punish her by forgetting she ever existed. That kind of behavior is pointless and inappropriate"

Oh, I am very very happily married to a wonderful woman that I adore (who happens to be 9 weeks pregnant with my child right now *BIG SMILE*). So i am completely and utterly over it. BUT it still would have been a cool thing to have to pass down to my children [Smile]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

Cool Odouls, congrats! babies are great! You'd better be pampering the mommy to be today!
odouls268
Member # 2145

Of course *grin*

[ May 11, 2008, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: odouls268 ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.