FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Stephanie Meyer is an OSC Fan? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stephanie Meyer is an OSC Fan?
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard a very large, adult African-American man walking through our bookstore today absolutely GUSHING about the Twilight books.

I still can't get over how many boys buy these books. And its not even like they're buying it to impress girls. They will try to have conversations with me about the books while I'm checking them out.

On a sad note, our new display for Cassandra Clare's "City of Glass" features a quote from Stephanie Meyers promoting the series. Clare is certainly one of the last teen authors I want Meyers throwing her weight behind. Especially since we have like three displays titled "If you like Twilight..." and they all sell-out like crazy.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mockingbird
Member # 5640

- posted      Profile for Mockingbird   Email Mockingbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Shanna - I haven't heard of the City of Glass series before, but have a pre-teen who reads almost everything she gets her hands on. What do you see as offensive in that series?
Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
The same thing I find offensive about Meyers...that extremely poor writers are being rewarded with financial success and notoriety. Clare also built a name for herself in the fanfiction community before being busted for plagiarism, which to my knowledge she has never apologized for. (Besides, when the author's last name, real or not, is ClarE why would they name their protagonist ClarY??)

Clare's stuff reads like someone who desperately wants to be as witty as Joss Whedon. Most reviews make light of how heavily she draws from Buffy, Star Wars, and Harry Potter. I'm glad she's not directly copying from published material anymore, but this is only a slight improvement.

I couldn't get very far into it before I gave up but I have heard comments about some confusing chemistry between a brother and sister.

And employee who works at a small bookstore or in the children's department of a larger chain will happily recommend much better titles.

Titles in our store which are getting high praises for younger readers (juvenile and teen):

"Dairy Queen" by Catherine Murdock - Our kid's lead who HATES Twilight has been pushing this into the hands of every teen girl she can find.

"The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel" by Michael Scott

"The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
Clare also built a name for herself in the fanfiction community before being busted for plagiarism, which to my knowledge she has never apologized for.

I knew I recognized that name!

IIRC, she was busted for plagiarism in at least two (three?) separate fanfic communities.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NickVicious
Member # 12010

- posted      Profile for NickVicious   Email NickVicious         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't see myself getting into the twilight stuff. i try to seperate myself of the trends of the time. they could be great for all i know, but they seem kind of chicky. plus my boss saw the movie and told me "sparkle" in the sunlight...it seems like they butchered the vampire image.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mobester
Member # 12039

- posted      Profile for mobester           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else noticed the similarities between Meyer's vampires all having special gifts, and the Alvin Maker series? It seems to me like she stole Alice's ability directly from little Peggy. The only difference is that the chartacter of little Peggy is so much deeper. Card has an amazing way of showing us deep into the thoughts and emotions of his characters.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Meyer "stole" anything from Alvin Maker. Lots of books have a group of charachters with special powers and one of them is usually the ability to forsee the future, except it is never perfect because the future is always changing.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Alice and Peggy really do quite different things. Honestly, if you want to treat prescience in all forms as a single idea then they've all stolen the idea from somebody so long dead that no one really knows who anymore.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephanie Meyer being an OSC fan as well as a Jane Austen fan makes me feel dirty. I have so much in common with this woman it's scary.

I read a couple pages of Twilight, even watched the movie. (Warning: Don't get into close physical proximity with a Twilight fan if you have negative opinions about the book.)

The movie was fun, I'll admit. Those few pages of reading, however, made me ill. I think what Stephanie Meyer has is a good story. What she lacks is the ability to write well, discipline her craft, and edit out page after page of tripe.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lolcats
Member # 12060

- posted      Profile for lolcats           Edit/Delete Post 
Twilight is escapist romantic fiction. VERY GOOD escapist romantic fiction. I haven't found better books in the genre; can you?
Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

Considering she wrote the book in only a few months, and it was the first thing she really attempted to publish, I think the "pages and pages of tripe" are really more the fault of the editor/publisher than the author. Obviously someone felt they added to the story, or they should have been nixed at that stage.

I didn't actually READ the book, so I can't comment on how long any particular description was. On the whole I thought the first one was quite a good book. The whole series is pretty decent, but disturbing enough for me to have a hard time deciding to read it again.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by lolcats:
I haven't found better books in the genre; can you?

Heck, yeah.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lolcats
Member # 12060

Cool. Suggestions please?
Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Are you on Goodreads?
lolcats
Member # 12060

No. What is Goodreads?
rivka
Member # 4859

Goodreads

From the "about us" page:
quote:
what is goodreads?

Goodreads is the largest social network for readers in the world. We have over 2,100,000 members who have added over 49,000,000 books to their shelves. A place for casual readers and bona-fide bookworms alike, Goodreads members recommend books, compare what they are reading, keep track of what they've read and would like to read, form book clubs and much more.

lolcats
Member # 12060

that's so awesome. thank you!
rivka
Member # 4859

It's one of my favorite sites. [Smile] Actually, I recently went from very active volunteer to working for the site part-time.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I discovered that site yesterday.

I'm having fun on it. I need to keep track of all of my books.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

I waste WAY too much time on goodreads!

The second problem is I went from having a semi-manageable number of books that I want to read to an insanely long "to read" list that just keeps growing.

It's a great way of keeping track of what you've read - and what you thought about it.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I spent hours on that site... hypnotized by it... Totally engrossed.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAParent
Member # 11810

- posted      Profile for LAParent           Edit/Delete Post 
Stephanie Meyer's adult book, "The Host" is a better book than Twilight, IMHO. The writing is much better, although it is still a bit too long. The characters are far more mature and interesting.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by LAParent:
Stephanie Meyer's adult book, "The Host" is a better book than Twilight, IMHO. The writing is much better, although it is still a bit too long. The characters are far more mature and interesting.

I love that book.Especially Ian
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

- posted      Profile for Emreecheek           Edit/Delete Post 
I've only read the first Twilight book, and I don't know why OSC liked it, honestly.

I mean, the characters existed, and they had clearly defined relationships with Bella, and sometimes with Edward. But, there didn't seem to be any interactions with each other. There was no character web. Just a line tracing each character to Bella.

And all the school kids with forgetable names - Meh.

I'm sure I could have fallen for Edward, and that love could have carried me eagerly through the series, except my heart already belongs to Severus Snape.

After him, who needs Edward?

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
my heart already belongs to Severus Snape.
Aside from being very brave, what attracts you to Snape?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

- posted      Profile for Emreecheek           Edit/Delete Post 
Um, he's emotionally damaged. For some reason, I've always found that attractive... That, and the idea of helping somebody overcome their hurt so that they can better interact with the world (After I rescued him from Nagini, of course. His being dead really kind of sucked)

It's the whole idea of a man who has a conscience, but is damaged and doesn't act on it. None of his behavior can be excused because he had a sucky childhood, but it bears consideration. Couple that with how drastically misunderstood he was during school, and how very alone he was by the time Harry came along, and you have a lovely emo romance just wating to happen.

I'm weird, I'll admit. But if a normal person can't be a bridge for the relationship between Harry and Snape, and win Snape's love in a delightfully unrealistic and cheesy scene where he finally accepts and loves me for the muggle I am, then I don't want to be normal. [Wink]

[ June 23, 2009, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Emreecheek ]

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Snape? He's interesting, he'd loan people leather books and leer at them until they gave them back, but for me, it's all about Lupin.
Lupin is such a nice guy. Sure he was a bit scared in terms of having a baby, but still, he did the right thing and he was brave and cool.

Snape was too, but I can't get over his attitude. URG ><

dictatorlv44
Member # 11845

- posted      Profile for dictatorlv44           Edit/Delete Post 
So, I tried to read the Twilight series, and I got up to New Moon, and realized how uninterested I was.

I think what bothered me about the series was the lack of depth to the characters. After reading the books, the thing I remember most is how Bella always ate breakfast, or something like that. The worst is Edward Cullen, though. Meyers tells us nothing about him, except for his past and his love of Bella. It seems like his motivation for everything in the books is Bella. Meyers might be writing a book in his point of view, but I feel that without a book in Edward's point of view, Twilight is quite empty.

It's a similar concept to what Card did with Bean, but the difference is that Edward was one of the main characters in the entire book, and Card didn't write a book in the point of view of Graff, or Valentine, but Bean, a fairly minor character with an important role.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Um, he's emotionally damaged. For some reason, I've always found that attractive...
He was also verbally abusive, unsympathetic, cold, and vain. Snape was emotionally damaged, yes-- and he was also a bully.

The idea of Harry naming one of his sons after him is very romantic, but strikes me as particularly untrue to Snape and Harry's relationship-- even after Harry found out why Snape did all that he did.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

It kind of sucked the way Snape kept thinking harry was arrogant and bad, when he liked MOLFOY who really was the arrogant one.
He was rather unforgiving too. Not a very nice guy at all. I'd hate to be with a man who bullies children. Even if he had a good book collection.

But it was rather sweet that Harry forgave him enough to name a kid after him, but still, Albus Severus Potter? His name equals=ASP. Which is kind of cute.
Plus Snape, even though he was a jerk could love and loved Harry's mother.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.