FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Lusitania makes top 10 list

Author Topic: Lusitania makes top 10 list
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Discover Magazine's top 10 sci-fi worlds
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! (cant believe none of asimov's planets made it)
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Other than Trantor (the original planet-wide city) did Asimov have any really unique worlds?
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

solaria, trantor, aroura, gia, foundation and thats probly it. not all of tham are cool, but most are original, and some are cool [Big Grin]
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I guess I haven't read enough Asimov.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really think of any Asimov worlds that belonged on that list. Trantor is really the only world that stood out from the ones I can remember, but I can't really think of one on that list that should be displaced.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aris Katsaris
Member # 4596

- posted      Profile for Aris Katsaris   Email Aris Katsaris         Edit/Delete Post 
Gaia stood out as a planet that composed a single organism, every human, animal, planet partaking in a single consciousness and having access to common memories while still maintaining some of their own individuality.

And Solaria -- the most sparsely populated of all the planets, each household far apart from all the others, each human serviced by ten thousand robots, close proximity between humans a huge taboo. By the time of the Foundation novels, Solarians had engineered themselves to allow for even less intepersonal contact, becoming asexual (or hermaphroditic, I don't remember) beings that never approached anyone else of their own species at all, and had isolated themselves from the rest of the galaxy as well.

Posts: 676 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aris Katsaris
Member # 4596

- posted      Profile for Aris Katsaris   Email Aris Katsaris         Edit/Delete Post 
And as a sidenote -- no, I don't think these ought displace any planet in the top 10 list either.
Posts: 676 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmmm I was reading the comments and noticed someone wanting Mar Sara fool Korhal was so much cooler, Destroyed twice and Humans still live there.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Solarians had engineered themselves to allow for even less intepersonal contact, becoming asexual (or hermaphroditic, I don't remember) beings that never approached anyone else of their own species at all, and had isolated themselves from the rest of the galaxy as well.
Hermaphroditic.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagobah? Of all the Star Wars planets there are, Dagobah, really?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That list seems to me to be fairly random. If we were to do a vote-off for 10 best SF worlds I imagine that there would be some overlap, but not all that much.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they decided they had to put a Star Wars planet there because it's Star Wars. Noticed the listed all of them. None of the planets in that universe were really interesting or unique of themselves.

Trantor, at least, should have ousted them.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked his reasoning for Dagobah. For how brief we were permitted to visit it, Dagobah had so much to it that was interesting.

The place really was very claustrophobic now that I think about it, which IS in stark contrast to most sci fi planets. It was wet, dank, and covered with plants and grime. I loved first meeting Yoda there, because he looked like some silly little alien you might find in a swamp covered planet, but then he turns out to be so interesting. It's also the only place in the movies with a location infused with power from the dark side of the force.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least they put some thought into putting Solaris at the top of the list.

Stanislaw had that whole incomprehensibly alien thing down pat. Mindscrew.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I found it a fairly random gathering myself, and his reasons for including them were often not listed - and when they were, they were mostly generic sounding.

Of course, I really haven't read that much of what he listed. It was eye opening for me in that respect. I keep reading and reading, and still seem to never do more than chip at the iceberg.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
No Hyperion? C'mon.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:
Originally posted by steven:
No Hyperion? C'mon.

Yeah, I thought of Hyperion too. I figured it might get a spot because of the time tombs.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amka:
I think they decided they had to put a Star Wars planet there because it's Star Wars. Noticed the listed all of them. None of the planets in that universe were really interesting or unique of themselves.

Trantor, at least, should have ousted them.

Usually I get a little annoyed when Star Wars gets the shaft, but this would be a perfect place for it. Star Wars wasn't centered around any individual planet, it was always on the go. They planet hopped in every movie and introduced dozens of different planets. I always thought Coruscant was the craziest, being a massive city planet where only the tallest mountain is preserved as the only piece of ground still visible, and even then it's only like a meter of it. But a lot of that is via the EU, so maybe that doesn't count. I DO think there are some cool planets in Star Wars in the EU, but from the movies alone? I would have been okay with them letting it go. If not? I think Tatooine should have beaten out Dagobah.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Tatooine can't ever make such a list, because next to Arrakis it just pales.

And Dagobah isn't even presented as a planet - we just see a single swamp out of the whole thing.

I think they should have picked Alderan if they wanted a Star Wars planet.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I'm pretty sure that Dagobah is nothing but swamp.

As for Alderaan, why should it make the list? It got about 2 minutes of screen time in the whole saga and nothing unique was revealed about it. I have nothing against it, but I think it's the least remarkable planet seen in the films.

Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
What about the planet Kalgash in Nightfall? That's one screwed up planet.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm pretty sure that Dagobah is nothing but swamp.
but we don't know that and, more importantly, it's absolutely irrelevant to the story. There's nothing about Dagobah thats important except "this part is swampy in a cliche sort of way."

quote:
As for Alderaan, why should it make the list?
It was mostly a joke. But none of the planets in Star Wars movies are important except as settings. All the Coruscant scenes work even if it's a normal planet with at least one big city. Except for Tatooine, there's not even an attempt to exhibit the effects any of the planets' characteristics have on the plot or character. Except for the space battles, there's no particular reason for Star Wars to take place on different planets. Luke could have grown up in a desert on the same planet where Yodah sits in his swamp and the emperor rules from his giant city.

Alderan is unique in that it's a planet that's important to the plot as a planet, even though it's only for a second.

This isn't meant as a knock at Star Wars. It's an action film, and the settings matter only insofar as they support the action. That's fine. But the settings themselves aren't characters in the way Arrakis, Ghedi Prime, and Caladan are in Dune (original series only) or Lusitania is in Speaker.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

I'd vote for Kalgash, i heart that book!
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder, who was the first one to create a planet-that-is-all-great-city? I can think of Asimov, he wrote it pretty early, but I dont know if he was the first one
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

Still, I think Coruscant should have beaten out Dagobah. Unlike other "all city" planes, Coruscant has a character that is VERY important to the plots of several books. Unfortunately, none of the ones Lucas has written deal with it in the slightest. However, the different levels of the city seem to give it a character that surpasses most "city worlds"

I have to say though, that Arrakis is MY all time favorite fictional planet. I was actually a little bit mad when I read Dune because it was just SO obvious how much of Star Wars was stolen almost blatantly.

On the other hand, while I appreciate Lusitania, I think Earth was OSC's best fictional planet ever! The Earth he created for "Earthfall" and "Earthborn" was foreign enough to be more than a merely post-apocalyptic normal Earth. I just love it!

Has anyone ever done a list of the best "fantasy universe's" ever?

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:

I have to say though, that Arrakis is MY all time favorite fictional planet. I was actually a little bit mad when I read Dune because it was just SO obvious how much of Star Wars was stolen almost blatantly.

You know, I'm a pretty big fan of both Dune and Star Wars, and I've never understood why so many people accuse the latter or being a rip-off of the former. SW uses a desert planet as one of its several settings... So?!

quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:

Has anyone ever done a list of the best "fantasy universe's" ever?

I don't know but I'll go out on a limb and guess that Tolkien has clinched #1 on any such list. [Wink]
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

I have to pick a fight with you neo-dragon. I really can't get into Tolkein's universe.

As for Star Wars, it's not JUST the desert planet. That's the problem. There is also "spice", which while it comes from a different source, has virtually the same properties as does spice in Dune. When I read Lucas's original book for Star Wars the similarities become even more pronounced. Oh, and while telekinetic abilities can't really be anyones IP, there is an incredible similarity between the was Herbert explains Bene Geserit powers and the way Lucas originally explains the force. It isn't a direct rip off, but it's the next thing to it.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Whether you like Tolkien or not you know that he'd win, so [Razz]

And as for the Dune-like spice you're referring to (glitterstem is it? Or something like that) that's an EU creation that came from none other than Kevin J. Anderson, who now makes most of his money co-writing Dune novels of questionable quality with Frank Herbert's son, so are we surprised that he's brought some Dune-isms into Star Wars?

I don't really see how the Bene Gesserit's perfect control of their own biochemistry and reflexes which is entirely a product of advanced training is comparable to the mystical life-binding energy field that is the Force. It's like saying that wizards and ninjas are the same. I'll admit that jedi mind tricks can be used to a similar effect as B.G. Voice, although the mechanism is completely different.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it depends on whether they looked to the EU of Star Wars for the rankings. Dagobah actually has a pretty cool backstory, although not as cool as Yavin IV, IMO.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never read any of the EU stuff. What's the backstory for Dagobah?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clandestineguitarplayer
Member # 11571

- posted      Profile for Clandestineguitarplayer   Email Clandestineguitarplayer         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are the ultimate in NERD technology...
[ROFL]
i dont even know anything about any of these planets... Except Dagobah, thats where insane Yoda lives... Right?... I'm pretty sure thats right... I will stop talking now... *backs off in fear of nerds devouring him with their big, hurtful words*

Posts: 93 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
... I'm a nerd hunter! They call us geeks.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

Spice was in the original Star Wars as written by George Lucas.

Also, the original Dune was only partially about complete biochemical control. There was alot in there about Paul and Male vs. Female stuff that definitely is alot broader than just biochemistry.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.