FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Cover Art

Author Topic: Cover Art
GinaG
Member # 11862

- posted      Profile for GinaG           Edit/Delete Post 
Why is the cover art for most science fiction, including OSC's, so... um, well... bad?
Posts: 117 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raskolinov
Member # 11864

- posted      Profile for raskolinov   Email raskolinov         Edit/Delete Post 
I for one wish they had put a picture of the pequeninos on the cover of speaker for the dead.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Define "bad."

Cover art is actually one of the things the publishing industry has done serious studies on-- it turns out most people WILL judge a book by its cover. Cover-art (and word of mouth) are the two things that consistently sell books.

I seem to recall that Intergalactic Medicine Show did a series of columns on cover art...Aha! Here it is. Mostly covers the differences between British and American covers, though.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
First to bring up Alvin Maker *though it's fantasy.

Romance novel ftw.

I dont' mind the Ender series cover art. I do mind the rerelease of Ender's Game where he looks like a smurf.

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the art for the Homecoming saga.

http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&&hl=en&q=Homecoming+saga+cover+art&&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=20

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GinaG
Member # 11862

I didn't mind this cover for Ender's Game. Cute little boy... speaking from maternal instinct, I wanted to snuggle him. The hand gesture is also poignant, like he's saying "stop!"

http://bookwormburrow.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/enders-game.jpg

I didn't understand the cover for Speaker for the Dead at all, however. What is that tower?

Posts: 117 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
It works as long as it says "ORSON SCOTT CARD" in really big letters.

Personally, I've always sort of liked the bad cover art... At least I like it when I get people to read the book in spite of it, and then they go "OMG, Ender's Game is so good, I had no idea!"

Also, I heard somewhere that the cover art for EG -- that is, the one with the yellow letters -- was in fact intended for a different sci-fi book that never got published. So... they just stuck it on, figuring it still looked pretty cool.

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GinaG
Member # 11862

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
I seem to recall that Intergalactic Medicine Show did a series of columns on cover art...Aha! Here it is. Mostly covers the differences between British and American covers, though.

Anglophilia strikes again. I much prefer the British covers in those examples. That Robert Jordan US cover is hideous.
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
What is that tower?
[Smile]

The goal of the cover-- specifically, the sci-fi cover-- is not to depict a scene within the book.

The goal is to SELL the book.

Sometimes you can do both. Sometimes, you cheat.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously! The cover for Xenocide? I mean, i guess it doesn't matter at the point that you are already into the series.

My favorite Card cover is for Empire. Enthralling!

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clumpy
Member # 8122

- posted      Profile for Clumpy           Edit/Delete Post 
I did a review awhile back on my blog of some of the worst OSC book covers (most of them foreign language prints, though the YA printing of Ender's Game is terrible):

http://clumpy.blogspot.com/2007/10/osc-book-covers.html

I love the original covers for the Ender quartet. It leaves more to the imagination and it looks great on a trade paperback (the large softcovers with better-quality paper and thicker plastic covers).

Those of you wishing for Pequenino pictures may think twice when you see the Portuguese cover for SotD.

Posts: 127 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I have that German version, Enders Schatten. I think Pudgy Kid is cute, though I'm not sure which character he's supposed to be.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lynda
Member # 11730

- posted      Profile for lynda           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like the cover of shadow of a giant. It is misleading, it looks like Bean and Petra get on a star ship together to leave Earth. You see two people from behind and you assume that is who they are. well that is not what happend
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GinaG
Member # 11862

quote:
quote:
What is that tower?
[Smile]

The goal of the cover-- specifically, the sci-fi cover-- is not to depict a scene within the book.

The goal is to SELL the book.

Sometimes you can do both. Sometimes, you cheat.

Who are these people who like the covers?? I suppose they must be comic book fans?

P.S. I do recall hearing from another author that publishers decide what goes on the cover, not necessarily the author. Hopefully the person making that decision has actually read the book?

Clumpy
Member # 8122

- posted      Profile for Clumpy           Edit/Delete Post 
"Who are these people who like the covers?? I suppose they must be comic book fans?"

No - our aesthetic impressions of something are often very much defined by superficial elements like packaging and form. For example, I read Ender's Game for the first time in a large softcover and can't read OSC paperbacks as a result. I love the fact that the covers have no direct connection to the stories in the books - something a little more impressionistic usually works.

For example, the cover for Lost Boys makes it look like a mass-market horror book, when in reality it's a family drama or a coming of age story with strong thriller/mystery elements. Yet I love the cover - the "ghost children" one you get when you open the first page wouldn't work nearly as well.

Posts: 127 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GinaG:
quote:

Anglophilia strikes again. I much prefer the British covers in those examples. That Robert Jordan US cover is hideous.
All of Robert Jordan's US covers are hideous.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snow Flake
Member # 12007

- posted      Profile for Snow Flake           Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, those differences. In most case, I feel US- and UK-covers are overwhelmed by the size of title and author's name. Probably because I'm used to French covers who leave much more place to the art-cover: http://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_ss_b_0_5?__mk_fr_FR=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=alvin+le+faiseur&sprefix=alvin

("poche" stands for paperback)

Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Welcome to Hatrack, Snow Flake.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lynda:
I don't like the cover of shadow of a giant. It is misleading, it looks like Bean and Petra get on a star ship together to leave Earth. You see two people from behind and you assume that is who they are. well that is not what happend

True story, and if it's not them that means Bean went off in a star ship with some other woman! If I ever read SOTG again I'm going to read his touching dialogue with Petra in the light of a person cheating who is trying to convince his wife that she can't come on his business trip. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snow Flake
Member # 12007

Thanks, Scott R.

I'm so jealous that you already have all those books to read!! I'm stuck at the end of 4th Alvin book (the 5th is already translated, but not yet in paperback).
I just bought the 3rd of the Shadow series, but it's difficult to start it after re-reading Alvin Maker. I'm still caught in that universe.

The link about the difference between US and UK was very intersting. I wanted to compare with French covers, but couldn't find the books. Funny how the covers of Shadow of the giant are different, having the same art-cover.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snow Flake:
Thanks, Scott R.

I'm so jealous that you already have all those books to read!! I'm stuck at the end of 4th Alvin book (the 5th is already translated, but not yet in paperback).
I just bought the 3rd of the Shadow series, but it's difficult to start it after re-reading Alvin Maker. I'm still caught in that universe.

The link about the difference between US and UK was very intersting. I wanted to compare with French covers, but couldn't find the books. Funny how the covers of Shadow of the giant are different, having the same art-cover.

French
US
UK

At least in this case, I also prefer the French/UK cover.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
The cover of Wyrms always bothered me. It's not inaccurate, but it gives a completely wrong impression of the book, like a teen drama.

Edit: Although this one may have found a way to be worse.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snow Flake
Member # 12007

ricree101, this is not the French book: it's the UK book. The 3rd (Shadow Puppets) was just translated, we don't have this one yet.

It would be better to compare Shadow Puppets:
French
UK
US

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah thanks. I just saw it on the site and assumed without looking.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snow Flake:
It would be better to compare Shadow Puppets:
French
UK
US

The UK one is awesome, so is the french one....
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.