FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ender fansurvey

Author Topic: Ender fansurvey
katielibertine
Member # 11901

- posted      Profile for katielibertine   Email katielibertine         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there! I'm Kate, and while I've never posted before, I've been lurking the OSC forums since 2007. I'm a devoted fan of both Ender series, the Alvin Maker books, the Homecoming saga and Enchantment. In the Ender's Game vs. Speaker for the Dead debate, after much deliberation I decided that I like Ender's Game better, but that Speaker is a better book. [Big Grin]

Despite the enthusiasm of the fans I've talked to online and in the real world, Ender fan participation on the internet seems surprisingly lacking, given the breadth of the universe and the complexity of the characters. Considering the active nature of other fandoms, even obscure ones, I was surprised at the lack of organized discussion and fan-created literature and art. I'm trying to figure out why this is, so I've come up with a list of basic questions to try to pinpoint the demographics of the fandom.

So! If you guys would fill this out this short survey and add any opinions you might have about the online Ender fan community, here it is! You can answer all of the questions, or only a few; any input at all is appreciated.

Approximate location:

How old were you when you first read Ender's Game?

Have you read Speaker and the other Ender novels?

Did you read Speaker for the Dead and the other Ender novels immediately after Ender's Game?

If no, how old were you when you read Speaker?

Have you read Ender's Shadow?

If so, how old were you when you read Ender's Shadow?

Do you consider yourself part of the Ender fandom?

Do you consider yourself a part of any other book, movie, comic, television series, or videogame fandoms? If so, please list them.

Is the Ender fan community your primary fan community? If not, which is?

At what age did you begin using the internet?

How would you describe your general internet usage? How many hours a day or week do you spend online?

How much of this time is devoted to fan-related discussion?

How much of this time is devoted to Ender-related fan discussion?

At what age did you become involved in fan-related internet activity?

At what age did you become in Ender-related internet activity?

How would you describe your participation in the Ender fan community (Avid, moderate, silent)? Please elaborate.

How would you describe your participation in your other fandoms?

Where does the Ender series rank in your list of fandoms?

Do you read fanfiction or view fanart?

Do you write fanfiction or create fanart?

Do you read fanfiction or view fanart for the Ender series?

Do you write fanfiction or create fanart for the Ender series?

Do you actively support certain pairings/relationships in the Ender series? If so, please list them.

Do you actively support certain pairings/relationships in any of your other fandoms? If so, please list them.

Describe your offline fan activities, if any. This includes real-life discussions of books, movies, comics, videogames; participation in conventions; cosplay; and reading, watching or playing the original material of your fandom(s).

How much of your offline fan activity is devoted to the Ender series?

How much of your internet fan activity leaks into your real-life fan activity? Do you talk to your real-life friends about your fandoms and your activity in them?

What drew you to the Ender books?

What drew you to seek out fellow Ender fans on the internet?

How, in your opinion, does the Ender fan community differ from the fan communities for other books, comics, movies or video games?

Do you have any thoughts on the Ender fan community in general?

Feel free to add any information you feel is relevant, or to discuss anything the questions may have missed. This information will not be used for anything but my own informal research, and names/usernames will not be disclosed or taken into account. This is really just to help me and the rest of the Ender fandom understand more about itself! We seem to be a relatively small but desperately dedicated group, so I hope all of you who fill out the survey try to be as thorough as you can. Thanks!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Approximate location: Maryland, USA

yes

Did you read Speaker for the Dead and the other Ender novels immediately after Ender's Game?
yes

yes

13 or 14

I'm not quite sure what fandom means, but since I'm an active participant of Hatrack I guess I'll say "yes"

Do you consider yourself a part of any other book, movie, comic, television series, or videogame fandoms? If so, please list them.
Firefly
The Office

Yes

How would you describe your general internet usage? How many hours a day or week do you spend online?
1-3 hours a day

not much, mostly facebook and email

I'd say Hatrack is my third-most visited website (after facebook and gmail), and Hatrack is the only Ender-related website I visit regularly

How would you describe your participation in the Ender fan community (Avid, moderate, silent)? Please elaborate.
I post maybe 3 or 4 times a week, usually in the books/culture section

much less

first

no

no, not since 6th or 7th grade (that was LOTR)

no

no

Do you actively support certain pairings/relationships in the Ender series? If so, please list them.
haha

Do you actively support certain pairings/relationships in any of your other fandoms? If so, please list them.
no

Describe your offline fan activities, if any. This includes real-life discussions of books, movies, comics, videogames; participation in conventions; cosplay; and reading, watching or playing the original material of your fandom(s).
Lots of my friends like the same books/movies/TV shows as I do (including OSC) we so talk about it a lot -- I haven't reread an OSC book in a while, but i probably will in the future

a small amount

How much of your internet fan activity leaks into your real-life fan activity? Do you talk to your real-life friends about your fandoms and your activity in them?
only one other friend that I know of does online activity related to EG (she posts on Pweb ocassionally). A couple of my friends write and read fanfiction. but we don't talk about it very often.

my friends were reading it

i dont really remember...it was 5+ years ago

How, in your opinion, does the Ender fan community differ from the fan communities for other books, comics, movies or video games?
I can't really say since I don't go to many other fan related websites
but we seem to spend a lot of time talking about the political opinions of OSC
also we talk about other sci-fi books/movies/TV shows a lot

Yes. I can't really find you a link on this, but I seem to remember, some time ago, either on Hatrack on Philotic web (www.philoticweb.net) there being a big discussion about EG related fanfiction, and basically OSC is really, really against it. I think he and a lot of people think it's a copyright infringement even to write it (even if your not publishing it), also I think I remember OSC saying he thinks it's much more beneficial to you as a writer to create your own worlds and characters rather than use someone else's, even if you just want to have fun. Anyway, I think fanfiction in general is looked down upon hereabouts.
Personally, I have no strong opinion since I don't read it or write it.

One interesting thing about Hatrack is that we spend much more time on the non-Ender related section of the website, and we've developed a huge community that sometimes seems to have little connection to Ender or OSC books. I think this is unique of most online fan websites -- but, as I said, I might be wrong, since Hatrack is the only one I visit. [Smile]

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Your survey is far, far too long for me to pay it any attention.

Suffice it to say that I like the Ender books, read them years ago, and tolerate the Shadow stuff. I don't go out of my way to seek out new work in the "Enderverse," but neither will I turn down a chance to read it. I came to Card's Ender books by way of his Alvin Maker books and his short stories, and actually read Speaker for the Dead before Ender's Game.

Anyway, yeah, I'm a fan -- and, being a geek, I'm a fan of lots of things, like Joss Whedon productions and the Order of the Stick and XKCD. But I'm resolutely not a member of any "fandom." I don't see a lot of value in extensively discussing what are after all the fairly shallow entertainments I enjoy with other people. Moreover, I'm not driven to draw pictures or write stories about things other people originally invented; the world doesn't need to see my version of how Bean eventually dies, or what I think the flash suits look like. (Single exception: I have written three scripts for what I think the Star Wars prequels should have been. These will never be shown to another living human.)

And the idea of a bunch of geeks trying to have "organized" conversations about Card's body of work in a forum setting immediately calls to mind the old saying about herding cats. I don't see the virtue of organization in that regard. Why not just talk about the things you find interesting, and see if anyone responds?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
Approximate location: Delaware (aka Jo Bidenville)

How old were you when you first read Ender's Game? 13

Have you read Speaker and the other Ender novels? Absolutely yes

Did you read Speaker for the Dead and the other Ender novels immediately after Ender's Game? No (I read the Bean Series first)

If no, how old were you when you read Speaker? 14 1/2

Have you read Ender's Shadow? Yes

If so, how old were you when you read Ender's Shadow? 13

Do you consider yourself part of the Ender fandom? Yes

Well, Arsenal FC fandom!

Expertfootball.com, but this is a close second

14 1/2

I used to do 1 per day, but now i'm tryin for one every other day

Not so much anymore, 10 minutes?

LOL not a ton of it

14 1/2

At what age did you become in Ender-related internet activity? 15

In between moderate and silent, I try not to get online too much if I can help myself

How would you describe your participation in your other fandoms? Same

1st favorite book fandom

Do you read fanfiction or view fanart? No, well a while ago I read some of the virtual battle school

Do you write fanfiction or create fanart? No

Do you read fanfiction or view fanart for the Ender series? Not really

Do you write fanfiction or create fanart for the Ender series? No

Do you actively support certain pairings/relationships in the Ender series? If so, please list them. ??? I guess the Young Peter and whatsername (It's been a while) is allways really interesting from COTM

Do you actively support certain pairings/relationships in any of your other fandoms? If so, please list them. guess not

Me and my one friend used to allways make risk based board games and Just play the characters, but that was when we were 13 lol. Now we're a little grown up for board games and "playing" [Wink]

How much of your offline fan activity is devoted to the Ender series? I re-read the whole series a few times a year

no ... i don't

I was at a book store and i had good grades and my dad was all like, "I'm buying you some books" And i didnt know which to get, and i picked Enders Game and Enders Shadow randomly. [Big Grin]

In an afterward of a book, OSC thanked hatrack

This community is way more mature and intelligent than the crazy people begging for attention on most forums.

Awesome

This was a fun servey

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
How come nobody's mentioning the official fanfic forums on this site? (See Battle School and Hatrack River 1830's.)

I've never posted over there, and it doesn't seem like anybody really does, but it exists. [Smile]

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Katielibertine, it occurs to me that if you're not already familiar with Philoticweb it's probably something that would be up your avenue.

[Edit--never mind. I see you'd already posted your survey there.]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GinaG
Member # 11862

- posted      Profile for GinaG           Edit/Delete Post 
I can answer a few of your questions.

I'm thirtysomething, live in Northern California.

I started reading OSC about a year ago. I had heard of Ender's Game, and on another internet forum people were discussing the prevalence of Mormons in sci fi and OSC was mentioned. Then I joined BookMooch and was looking for books to mooch after I built up a lot of points. Oh and I had heard OSC on the radio, I think he was subbing for Jerry Doyle. I first read Hart's Hope and that kind of hooked me, after which I started reading the Ender novels, Enchantment, and Empire.

I have read the first three Ender books. Thus far I have liked each one better than the last, i.e. I think my favorite is Xenocide.

The only other fan community I've been a part of is Tolkien. I've played Tolkien MUSH (text based roleplaying) for several years. I don't do any offline fan stuff.

When you ask about supporting certain "pairings," are you talking about slash? [Smile] I just think it's so weird that fanfiction tends to go that route. The Tolkien fanfic tends to be really homoerotic for some reason. JRRT would be rolling in his grave. I don't imagine OSC would be much happier. [Smile]

Posts: 117 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit that like many writers out there, I'm an overly opinionated person. So, naturally, when I saw the chance of flaunting my opinions upon reading the word "survey" (I love surveys), I bit but upon overuse of the scrolling bar to get to the end of the survey, all I'm willing to say is:

Wow...

Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

My response was more along the lines of ":: blink ::", but yeah. "Wow" works too.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
No survey is too long if you're bored enough.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

:: laugh ::
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
Approximate location: Vermont

How old were you when you first read Ender's Game? 4th grade

Yes

I tried, to young. I went to Ender's shadow

6th gradeish
yes

4th grade
I guess so.
yes, Final Fantasy. And lets just say i have a relationship with keeanu Reeves movies that most see as strange.
yes, i would say so/.
7....maybe?
10, more for homework since i have an internet textbook. With that its 22 at least.
2 hours
30 minutes?
nine.
nine
moderate.
silent
no
no
no
no
what?
no
i talk to my friends?
some?
yes
My brother
googleing spree
they are (mostly) smart.

I like thier tie.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Xann.:
I like thier tie.

Their ties do nothing for me, but I like the cut of their jib.
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Approximate location: Owasso, OK. USA

9th Grade

Yes

No

11th or 12th Grade

Yes

As soon as it came out

Yes

I really like movies and follow them quite a bit. Mainly thanks to Puffy Treat.

Disney and FIRST Lego League are my other fandom things

Yes

Early 20's

I work on-line so I am on the internet 10+ hours a day

30 mins to 1 hour

half that

Moderate.

Moderate

first

No

No

No

No

???

???

I coach a FIRST Lego League team and run the tournament for Oklahoma

I read the books once every year or two

No

Good writing, great story

Info about OSC

I can't answer that

There are some good people here. I have a problem with many of the atheist refusing to give theist any respect. If you stay away from religious talks, you can really enjoy your time here.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I SO DO GIVE THIESTS RESPECT!

>.>

<.<

>.<

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Then you are not one of the "many" I spoke of.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Approximate location: Oregon by way of Utah by way of Montana by way of California by way of Utah

How old were you when you first read Ender's Game? 10

Have you read Speaker and the other Ender novels? I stopped after Xenocide

Did you read Speaker for the Dead and the other Ender novels immediately after Ender's Game? Speaker, yes. Xenocide may not have been out yet.

Have you read Ender's Shadow? Yes.

If so, how old were you when you read Ender's Shadow? 22 (read upon release)

Do you consider yourself part of the Ender fandom? I'm not sure how one decides that. Partly.

Do you consider yourself a part of any other book, movie, comic, television series, or videogame fandoms? If so, please list them. What the heck is fandom? I'm a fan of so many things.

Is the Ender fan community your primary fan community? If not, which is? ...No. I wouldn't limit myself.

At what age did you begin using the internet? 16

How would you describe your general internet usage? How many hours a day or week do you spend online? I live online.

How much of this time is devoted to fan-related discussion? Relatively none.

How much of this time is devoted to Ender-related fan discussion? See above.

At what age did you become involved in fan-related internet activity? What is that?

At what age did you become in Ender-related internet activity? *shrug*

How would you describe your participation in the Ender fan community (Avid, moderate, silent)? Please elaborate. Slightly above silent.

How would you describe your participation in your other fandoms? Fandoms... I enjoy the things I like. I defend those things. I recommend them to others.

Where does the Ender series rank in your list of fandoms? I think Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead, combined, might represent the best science fiction ever written. I'm not thrilled about the new stuff. I think the Shadow series is revisionist. The author has changed, has become more conservative in his thinking -- and by that I mean nothing political. I mean that he used to be the most bold and daring and imaginitive of authors. Now he uses his fiction to erase and invalidate what he wrote back when he was young and intellectually hungry and audacious. So, at the same time, it ranks nearly first, and nearly last.

Do you read fanfiction or view fanart? Oh, God no.

Do you write fanfiction or create fanart? No. I write realfiction and create realart.

Do you read fanfiction or view fanart for the Ender series? Hell no. [Smile]

Do you write fanfiction or create fanart for the Ender series? See above.

Do you actively support certain pairings/relationships in the Ender series? If so, please list them. I'm okay with the canon on that.

Do you actively support certain pairings/relationships in any of your other fandoms? If so, please list them. I'm fine with whatever is.

Describe your offline fan activities, if any. This includes real-life discussions of books, movies, comics, videogames; participation in conventions; cosplay; and reading, watching or playing the original material of your fandom(s). I went to a convention once. I was 15 or 16. Zelazny was there. I couldn't not go. I have never been before, or since. But I could not pass up the chance to meet Zelazny. My God, my God. What a giant. I love his work. I went to a book signing once and met Orson Scott Card. Couldn't pass up that chance either. In person, Card is gracious and funny and warm. Meeting him was wonderful. He'll always be one of my heroes. I felt great about it. Those are the main two authors of my childhood, Card and Zelazny, and I'm glad to have met them both. Other than that, no fan activities to speak of.

How much of your offline fan activity is devoted to the Ender series? 50%

How much of your internet fan activity leaks into your real-life fan activity? Do you talk to your real-life friends about your fandoms and your activity in them? I DON'T HAVE ANY FRIENDS!

What drew you to the Ender books? The cover was cool. I had just moved to a new city where I didn't know anyone. I passed time at the library. I began wandering the grown-up areas of the shelves. I was drawn to the cool-looking cover. It seemed to be calling me.

What drew you to seek out fellow Ender fans on the internet? I was browsing hatrack for a few months or years before posting anything. (I wasn't reading the forums, but OSC's various reviews and news items.) I finally registered on the forums and began to participate.

How, in your opinion, does the Ender fan community differ from the fan communities for other books, comics, movies or video games? *shrug*

Do you have any thoughts on the Ender fan community in general? Fans of Ender's Game tend to be bright. It's not difficult to read, but it is layered with many meanings and contains a great deal of literary and intellectual depth.

-----

A few thoughts: I don't think it's a lack of devotion or regard that prevents most Ender's Game fans from getting involved in the kind of fandom you seem to be looking for. I think it's a combination of things: maturity (though I don't necessarily think fandoms are immature) for one. For another, OSC discourages fan fiction. I also think his stuff strikes a different spark. It strikes, I think, the instinct to write one's own fiction, rather than the instinct to write fan fiction. I don't have a clearly formed opinion of why that is. It may be because he is so encouraging to young writers, and a little bit of a writer-shepherd. But as I look around at the literary landscape, I don't think there are any other authors who have inspired so many amateur writers (and various other forms of imitators); with the possible exception of Palahniuk. There are a few writers who have inspired pro (and very good) writers, which is a different thing. For example, I see a very clear progression from Gene Wolfe and Roger Zelazny to Neil Gaiman... I'm not sure if anyone is as beloved-by-other-writers as Gene Wolfe. But now I'm rambling.

I saw an amazing piece of Ender fan art once. It was posted here, in this forum. It was awesome. Ender was intensely commanding some ships via some kind of console. The palette was of reds and blacks, I think.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Approximate location: Pacific Ocean

How old were you when you first read Ender's Game? 29

Have you read Speaker and the other Ender novels? yes

Did you read Speaker for the Dead and the other Ender novels immediately after Ender's Game? SftD yes, the others were not published for a while after I read the first two, but I read them as soon as they were published.

Have you read Ender's Shadow? yes

If so, how old were you when you read Ender's Shadow? not sure. I bought it and read it as soon as it was released. Don't remember exactly what year that was.

Do you consider yourself part of the Ender fandom? Absolutely

Do you consider yourself a part of any other book, movie, comic, television series, or videogame fandoms? If so, please list them. Maybe the Whedon-verse

Is the Ender fan community your primary fan community? If not, which is? none

At what age did you begin using the internet? I've been using a computer and accessing "online" things since the early 1980's, in my late teens and early 20s.

How would you describe your general internet usage? How many hours a day or week do you spend online? I'm on nearly all day at work and take breaks now and then to check email or other personal things.

How much of this time is devoted to fan-related discussion? almost none

How much of this time is devoted to Ender-related fan discussion? none

At what age did you become involved in fan-related internet activity? never really did, other than Hatrack and the occasional review/blog

At what age did you become in Ender-related internet activity? see above

How would you describe your participation in the Ender fan community (Avid, moderate, silent)? Please elaborate. Other than posting on Hatrack, non-existent

How would you describe your participation in your other fandoms? none

Where does the Ender series rank in your list of fandoms? N/A

Do you read fanfiction or view fanart? no

Do you write fanfiction or create fanart? no

Do you read fanfiction or view fanart for the Ender series? no

Do you write fanfiction or create fanart for the Ender series? no

Do you actively support certain pairings/relationships in the Ender series? If so, please list them. I'm not sure what this means

Describe your offline fan activities, if any. This includes real-life discussions of books, movies, comics, videogames; participation in conventions; cosplay; and reading, watching or playing the original material of your fandom(s). I read the books, even re-reading them from time to time. I've recommended the books to others, given them as gifts and discuss them when I can.

What drew you to the Ender books? Compelling stories about believable characters

What drew you to seek out fellow Ender fans on the internet? I kind of stumbled on to Hatrack many many years ago. Several years before I registered and began posting.

How, in your opinion, does the Ender fan community differ from the fan communities for other books, comics, movies or video games? no experience with either

Do you have any thoughts on the Ender fan community in general? Nope

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
Approximate location: Pacific Ocean

heehee!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Approximate location:Arizona

How old were you when you first read Ender's Game?11

no
no
I havent
Yes
Sixteenish
I diddly do
Joss Whedonverse
Kevin Smithverse
Niel Gaimanverse
anything they do is worth checking
No singular fan site gets my real attention, I barely check Hat Rack as it is
Bite size pieces until a year ago
I play WoW, and I check Dvice daily so I use the internet alot
This is it, and I dont have that many posts for all the time Ive had this account
Very little
I whisper sometimes
Non existent
Nope
Nope
Nope
Nope
Nope
Nope
De nada
none
none
My brother stole it from his school after he read it and said I should read it too
OSC mentioned the site in an epilogue
Not that Ive seen, same topics being recycled
Orson Scott Card is just a man, with a particar imagination and ability to shed the catty silly bits of humanity from his characters, he is not an elected official, a god, or a juggling cosplay enthusiast (no proof that hes not, just assuming on that one) so it seems a bit nanners to hold him to your personal social and moral standards.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BigDAlcala
Member # 11915

- posted      Profile for BigDAlcala           Edit/Delete Post 
Approximate location: Venice, CA

24 years old.

I've read them all except First Meetings.

Yes.

N/A.

Yes.

24 years old.

I definitely and thoroughly enjoyed the books.

Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" Novels.
Dexter.
Still watching Six Feet Under.
I enjoyed many of the earlier Final Fantasy series.
I played World of Warcraft for a few years and will definitely go back when I can afford to.
I'm a fan of the cyberpunk genre, although I've only read Nueromancer (Gibson) and played Shadowrun on Genesis (the best version) and SNES.
I was a huge Star Wars fan until the prequels came out.

Life.

Not sure; probably 15 or 16. Maybe a few years before.

eBay, blogging at times, research. I have no clue how much time I've spent online.

Not sure. Not much, compared to other activities, I would assume.

Very little as of yet. This is only my 2nd post on this forum.

Probably when I first began using the internet.

Um. Today. So 24 years old.

Silent, yet avid. The books were amazing, but again this is only my 2nd post here.

Silent for the most part.

It's high up there.

I wanted to write Final Fantasy fan fiction once, but I never really read fan fiction.

Once attempted to but did not follow through.

No.

No.

I think it sucks for Petra and Bean, big time.

No.

I mainly take part in discussion only.

A bit, but I know only one other person who has read Ender's Game, and that's the only OSC book he has read. It irks me that I can't discuss the complexities of the rest of the series with him.

Only to those who are like-minded in the same "fandom." So far that's one for Ender. That same person, along with my older brother, make up my Sword of Truth network.

A great friend of mine, who felt compelled to thank me for introducing him to the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

I want to know what happens to Bean!

I have not participated in this community enough to be a proper judge.

I just hope you all enjoyed the series as I have. I'm sure you did.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BigDAlcala:
Approximate location: Venice, CA

Hey, neighbor. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Approximate location: WA

10 or 11

Yeah, though not IGMS or Ender in Exile

No.

14 or so.

Yes.

14 or so.

Fan...dom? I like the books and series, but... I'm not really an 'active' fan, as it were.

Oh sure. Batman, Charles Dickens, etc.

Nope. I'm not really in a 'community' for anything.

When I was five or so? Been around it since it started to go public.

Way too much time. (4-8 hours a day.)

Well, I suppose the time I'm spending writing this, but other than that, maybe 10 minutes or so a week?

The time filling this out.

Well... I started off the internet with going to www.mmhp.net for Mega Man. So 5, I suppose.

Huh. I first signed up on the old Young Writers section of this forum years ago in 2001, later I signed up here in 03. But I signed up because I found this website while trying to find out some Ender info.

Silent. I don't really talk about my fandoms online.

Online? Not at all. Other than that, nag my friends about them ad nauseum.

Lower than others because it's not 'active,' but I still like it.

No.

Depends on the thing, but occasional... VERY occasional fanart.

Nope.

No.

No.

No.

I just bug my friends with my fandoms.

None right now.

None.

My father threw the book at me when we went out camping once.

A book report in elementary school.

*Shrug*

Not really.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.