FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Short little "Orson is Awesome."

Author Topic: Short little "Orson is Awesome."
LukeP
Member # 11656

- posted      Profile for LukeP           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys (and gals), long time lurker, infrequent poster here just wanted to throw this out there.

One of my favorite things about Orson as a writer is just the capacity for storytelling the man has. I feel that some writers are just so... eloquent in their writing that you can just can caught up in the words themselves but loose their meaning. In other words, when I read an author like that, I find myself admiring the writing almost from a distant viewpoint and never actually getting into the story.

What I really appreciate about Orson is how easy it is to just get sucked in. Somehow, every piece of literature to flow from the man's hands seem to just suck you in and tell a story, not show off prose.

So, whenever someone asks me who my favorite writer is I often reply "I don't know if I can pick just one, but by far my favorite storyteller is Orson Scott Card."

/praise

What are a few of your favorite qualities about Orson (as a writer, or a man for those of you lucky enough to know him in person.)?

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
His ability to write real people. Complex relationships. His stories have characters. Much sci-fi is lacking that.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
What Sean said. Especially how those characters have connections to other people - to family members, friends, community. Most sci-fi is about people who have disconnected themselves from their families, or those people are just never mentioned. I find that unrealistic.

I like how he can write both sides of a conflict and both sides seem believable or understandable. I may not agree with the actions of the "bad guy" but at least he writes it in a way that I understand why the bad guy made the decisions he did.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I may not agree with the actions of the "bad guy" but at least he writes it in a way that I understand why the bad guy made the decisions he did.
This was one of my favorite elements of "Speaker for the Dead". It was *almost* the moral to the story, in my opinion. That's not to say that Mr. Card was writing this story with a particular moral in mind like a fable by Aesop, by any means.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree - his characters are just so FULL. It's like that all have a past, present, and future - just like REAL people.

That may sound dumb, but how often is it really the case in the things we read? I've found it a few times in other places, but mostly in series that were over half a dozen books long. Even in many of the things we consider to be great literature, the characters are lacking.

It's sort of funny. Even when the story is about something I'm completely uninterested in, a style of book that just doesn't usually catch my attention, when OSC does it - it works! (Here I'm thinking about Empire and Homebody)

My only serious pet peeve about Card is his lack of internal consistency. It's some of the worst I've seen. However, even that may actually be more "true" to reality - since rarely do the facts remain exactly the same from year to year!

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
The Homecoming series has my favorite prologues to any books.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:
I agree - his characters are just so FULL. It's like that all have a past, present, and future - just like REAL people.

That is definitely a pro. After listening to Sarah and recalling a couple other authors' attempts to 'rewrite' some Biblical tales, all of those other attempts seemed like school kids had gone at them compared to Card's telling of the story of Sarah. It's depth was incredibly satisfying. His telling did the story justice and didn't feel forced upon the Bible's version like so many others.

And yet, while his characters are so REAL, I often feel like his storylines are so safe. Let me explain... Sure, someone dies here or there, but even if you're on the edge of your seat, I never feel close to falling off. Does that make sense? For example, when I read The Time Machine (H.G. Wells) there were some truly chilling moments when I really wasn't sure anything was going to resolve, that the story was even going to go on despite there being several more chapters to go. When the T-Rex in "A Sound of Thunder" (Bradbury) is introduced, goosebumps covered my entire body. Likewise, I'm reading Princep's Fury now by Jim Butcher and have literally (looks down at the lack of thumbnail) been chewing my nails off due to anxiety. Card's books (the ones I've read thus far) don't always take me to that level. I might feel uncertain, but you know that whether or not any tragedy(ies) will befall his characters, you'll likely feel satisfied at the final outcome. I guess you could say that could be a plus as well, if you like that safety.

I write that having read books like Lost Boys (which, okay, did make me sob buckets for the last fifteen minutes of the audiobook and still makes me tear up thinking about it to this day), Empire and The Worthing Saga.

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keivan Ettefagh
Member # 11940

- posted      Profile for Keivan Ettefagh   Email Keivan Ettefagh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LukeP:

What are a few of your favorite qualities about Orson (as a writer, or a man for those of you lucky enough to know him in person.)?

I have had the fortune of meeting the Cards (many of them) in person, and they all share a quality that I believe to be essential to delightful prose and almost the "too real to be true" character development. They all have the gift of deeply understand a person even with little time or interaction. This gift grants them the ability to predict human interactions and consequence much like a chess master knows the moves ahead prior to them actually taking place. Also, this allows them to accomplish two important things socially things. One, through subtle expressions and language choice, they are able to bring out the best qualities of those around them and repress some of the lesser ones. Interestingly, you find this quality in almost all the battle school kids, but more importantly Graff. Second, people (myself included) find it very easy to be drawn in to their superb understanding of the human psyche. This inspires those around them to better themselves through personal improvements. Again, also found in his main characters. Thus, this leads me to conclude that his brilliance in writing and character development stem from observing those closest to him and projecting some of their qualities onto the page.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Kevian,

I think it's funny you mention that he is that insightful in person. Even though I've loved Card's stuff for years now, and have read almost everything (non-fiction excluded) that he's written - the most profound moment I had was right after I finished Ender's Game (which I'd started around 11 pm and finished somewhere around 8 in the morning).

I sat back and thought, "Wow, someone actually GETS it." I grew up as a "gifted" child. More specifically though, I attended two years of a gifted residential program where the students were sure the adults were all stupid. Where the adults, for their part, treated the students as little more than human Guinea Pigs. Granted, none of the students (or at least not many of them) were Battle School level intelligent - but the thoughts and feelings were in many ways the same. After having lived so many years convinced that there was no adult in the world who had any idea at all of what a group of gifted children truly was - reading Ender's Game was truly breath taking. I almost couldn't BELIEVE it.

As far as Card's story lines being safe - well, maybe they are. Maybe that is part of what else I like. While I enjoy books like the Song of Ice and Fire, I really do find it painful when an author kills off a character that I love. I also really HATE when an author drags you on forever in suspense of a mystery you obviously don't have enough information to figure out (Stephen King does this ALOT). However, Treasure Box and Homebody, while not being my favorite Card books, certainly kept me on the edge of my seat in places. And some of his short stories are really just plain frightening!

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:
As far as Card's story lines being safe - well, maybe they are. Maybe that is part of what else I like. While I enjoy books like the Song of Ice and Fire, I really do find it painful when an author kills off a character that I love. I also really HATE when an author drags you on forever in suspense of a mystery you obviously don't have enough information to figure out (Stephen King does this ALOT). However, Treasure Box and Homebody, while not being my favorite Card books, certainly kept me on the edge of my seat in places. And some of his short stories are really just plain frightening!

Yeah... Having reread my little spiel, I hope it doesn't come off in a way that makes it seem like I think it's a horrible trait, the feeling of safety. My brother and I have this ongoing debate when it comes to anime. He actually appreciates it when an anime ends with some real and probably diasterous consequences. If, on the other hand, enough people don't die to make it seem real, he's quick to point it out. So, when one of those 'happy' ending animes comes along, he usually notes that I would like it. [Wink] There are definitely times when I want uber suspense and there are times when I want to feel safe in a book. With Card, safe feelings or not, it really is more about the journey.

Treasure Box is sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. Found it at a B&N not too long ago and was pretty thrilled to see it there since it's supposed to be harder to find. You've mentioned it now, so going to have to put that next on the to-read list!! [Big Grin] Thanks!

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

quote:
If, on the other hand, enough people don't die to make it seem real, he's quick to point it out.
"Just this once, everybody lives!"
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

XD
Wraithfighter
Member # 11948

- posted      Profile for Wraithfighter           Edit/Delete Post 
@JennaDean: ...did you just make a reference to a single scene in Dr. Who?

I think the fact that I recognized it off the top of my head is more frightening, actually.

Anyway, I enjoy Card's books, but pretty much only the sci-fi. Hell, one of my favorite bits about Ender is that he's more or less agnostic. More concerned about faith in his fellow man than in an omnipotent being.

He seems to have trouble writing characters that are, well, stupid. Everyone in the Ender series is a freaking genius, and those that explicitly aren't are still thinking five steps ahead of the normal folk. The stupid (or the blind-faith-in-something-besides-Christianity) types he portray seem inauthentic and a bit moustache twirlingly evil.

Don't get me wrong. He writes great dialog, and I love the Ender series from start up until the last, oh, half of Children of the Dead when it starts getting a bit too fantasy for a sci-fi book, but still. Dude's figured out his limits for the most part and does a good job of not trying something stupid that isn't him.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron Rosenstein
Member # 11949

- posted      Profile for Aaron Rosenstein           Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I wrote OSC a heart-felt email about his works and my life, he responded back to me sincerely and commented on several thoughts and questions to the origonal email. I praise not just his works, but his ability to reach out honestly.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

quote:
@JennaDean: ...did you just make a reference to a single scene in Dr. Who?
[Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.