FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What is a good name for a historical fiction/nonfiction magazine?

Author Topic: What is a good name for a historical fiction/nonfiction magazine?
BebeChouette
Member # 4991

- posted      Profile for BebeChouette   Email BebeChouette         Edit/Delete Post 
As a perspective author, I've come to feel that we need more good places to publish short fiction. So I want to start a magazine. Ideally, it would be a paying venue (if you want a nonpaying venue, you can just use your blog).

I think there is room for publication focusing on historical writings.

A typical issue might have 5 historical fiction short stories, 2 novel excerpts, an essay, and 1 or 2 biography excerpts. The target reader would be history buffs (not fantasy buffs).

Right now I'm looking for a good name. Here are two I've been considering:
Historical Fiction Magazine,
There and Then.

What do you think?

Posts: 334 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In complete seriousness, I think you should know what word you should have used instead of "perspective" if you want to start a magazine.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Bebe wants to write things like this:

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."

"Man is equally incapable of seeing the nothingness from which he emerges and the infinity in which he is engulfed."

"Eveyone is a genius at least once a year. A real genius has his original ideas closer together."

"[W]hen people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."

"Every generalization is dangerous, especially this one."

"From the sublime to the ridiculous there is but one step."

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I like "There and Then" a lot better.

TomDavidson, consider this: historical fiction writers might legitimately be called "perspective authors." [Big Grin]

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry O'Brien
Member # 12014

- posted      Profile for Terry O'Brien   Email Terry O'Brien         Edit/Delete Post 
You should call it "Historical Fiction/ Nonfiction Magazine Perspectives."
Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
How about "Vanishing Point?"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bebe,

I think the idea of a historical fiction magazine is a really great one.

But if you start a magazine like that, unless you have nothing else going on in your life, you'll not likely be writing any more stories until you're able to get someone else to be your editor, and an assistant editor who reads the slush.

Is this going to be online?

Good luck!

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A typical issue might have 5 historical fiction short stories, 2 novel excerpts, an essay, and 1 or 2 biography excerpts. The target reader would be history buffs (not fantasy buffs).
That's a lot in one magazine.

I like 'There and Then,' too.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
How about "The Time Traveler" because those who dabble in history are always traveling through time.

Keep in mind that while some authors write about past history, some authors, perhaps Orson Scott Card, write about future history. So, perhaps "Past, Present, Future Magazine".

Or you could borrow from the Rolling Stones, and call it "Through the Past Darkly".

Or "Historical Victors" or "History's Victors" , because history is always written by the victor.

Or since it is fiction, "History Re-Imagined" or "History Imagined".

All that said, "Historical Fiction" is pretty straight forward and to the point. Just make sure some one isn't already using the name.

Just some rambling.

Steve/bluewizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.