FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Is Peter all that bad? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is Peter all that bad?
Rome
Member # 12263

- posted      Profile for Rome   Email Rome         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, dissected a live frog. primarily to view the workings of the beating heart, circulatory system and some nervous system information. It was extremely interesting, and also somewhat disturbing. Impossible to learn what I learned about the anatomy of a living creature without doing what I did. but it does kinda creep me out to think about it 9 years later... I took bio in 2001 and graduated from high school in 2004. It was a private collegiate prep school.

So perhaps that makes some of you think I'm evil. I would have to disagree.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's doubtful that you needed to do that in order to learn what you learned. I hope the frog was anesthetized at least.

But no, I don't think you're evil.

I agree with you that we're meant to come around to the view that Peter wasn't torturing animals for the heck of it.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LockeDemosthenes
Member # 11762

- posted      Profile for LockeDemosthenes   Email LockeDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I may be misremembering, but I think there's one scene in which they mention that they knew and how hard it was not to try and do anything about it. Not sure if they gave any reason, but I can think of several possibilities...
Actually, it was their response about him being on the nets. They knew about that all along, but they played along so they wouldn't stifle him.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaneyDMD
Member # 12313

- posted      Profile for LaneyDMD           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Card did something very unique - it is usually easier to portry someone who is evil and make him interesting. It is also difficult to create a very good character and not have him bore the reader.

I found Ender to be a very interesting character, especially in the Ender in Exile. He is easily the most interesting good character I've come across.

Peter, while not boring, seemed almost normal by the end of the Shadow series.

I've not given much thought as to how I could take over the world, so it occurs to me now that creating a character who pulls that off might not be the easiest thing to do. I enjoyed the books, and that is the bottom line with me.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tngcas
Member # 12316

- posted      Profile for tngcas   Email tngcas         Edit/Delete Post 
I think from a personal point of view that Peter taught me a lot about who/what I could be. It's very easy as a young person to look at Ender and feel like he's too brilliant and too good and of course you could never live up to him, never be that smart and good.

But Peter, Peter never was a perfect character and yet somewhere along the line Peter realized that if he was going to 'rule' he might as well 'build something worth ruling' and to that end he created something good and whole despite the fact that he knew himself to be imperfect.

What better moral and higher inspiration for life can you get than that? because I'll tell you it made me believe that anything is possible, because in the end both Peter and Ender did good.

I'd like to imagine that there is a whole generation of sociopaths out there that were able to create a life for themselves from that one principle.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Again, the apology may have been a twisted mind game. Not saying I know it was, but you have have to treat it with some suspicion.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.