FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » My thoughts on BOONDOCK SAINTS

Author Topic: My thoughts on BOONDOCK SAINTS
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Link

It sounds like a fun action flick.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It's actually the best movie ever. Okay not really, but it's excellent in a number of ways. We had to wait ten years for the sequel, which came out last fall, but that was equally as excellent. There was a lot of hesitation on the part of the fans, as after ten years of hyping, no one thought they could make a sequel that would do justice to the original, but I think they pulled it off. It's set up for a third movie too, but I don't know how they're going to do it anytime soon, and I don't know how well it would work if they had to wait.

I met the writer/director, Troy Duffy, at a special event in town a couple weeks ago and he's a pretty cool guy. Met some of the actors too. I have a picture with Rocco and I. He was also a nice guy. They were telling some pretty funny and weird anecdotes about the filming.

Good movie. Not everyone's cup of tea, but good.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott: I liked it alot, but I do not know your philosophy on movie viewing. There's alot of swearing, and some pretty mature subject matter. No nudity IIRC.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
The first one is excellent. I can't believe it never hit theaters. Good action that can poke a little fun at itself. The sequel, in my opinion, tried too hard to pull of what was great in the first one. The female FBI agent trying to be Willem Dafoe was grating the entire time.

SPOILERS

Also, in the first one, they give the great speech about how they are here to bring vengeance and justice on the criminal world followed by an 8 year hiatus in Ireland in the sequel? It felt flat, pointless. Why did they run? I thought they were gonna teach the underworld a lesson, not go raise sheep.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS

Well, with Yakavetta dead, and the cat out of the bag regarding their identities, and for that matter, having lost Rocco, it's no surprise that they left Boston. And without Rocco to show them around as to what their targets were, it makes a bit of sense to leave.

Julie Benz's character grew on me after the second watching, but she's no Willem Defoe. He absolutely nailed that role. She was a poor reflection.

In general though, for die hard fans, BSII did as good as it possibly could have to live up to the hype in the fan community.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.