Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Pathfinder is Coming!

Author Topic: Pathfinder is Coming!
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out the front page if you haven't yet! Man, with the exception of Pastwatch: Eden, this is probably the book I've been looking forward to the most. There's an interview giving an outline of the story somewhere as well. (Edit: here we go: http://www.hatrack.com/research/interviews/2010-steffen.shtml )

Ah, sweet anticipation ...

Posts: 1585 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty excited myself, I've heard a lot about it.

[Smile]

Posts: 14181 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Already on my Goodreads to-read list!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got my pre-order in...

[Cool]

Posts: 1502 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we're on the cusp of an OSC renaissance, what with Pathfinder, Mithermages, Pastwatch, the final Alvin and Ender books, etc. Good times, good times. [Cool]
Posts: 1585 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daventor
Member # 11981

- posted      Profile for daventor           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Mithermages is still in the works? I have the Wizards short stories anthology from 2007 (I think) with Stonefather in it and it said the first Mithermage book was suppossed to come out in 2008 so I've been wondering what the heck has been going on with that.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaaahhh. Just read the first three chapters of Pathfinder. I'm already enchanted. November can't come quick enough.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

Agh! All I saw was the notice -- didn't even realize the first three chapters were up! They are awesome, thanks for bringing 'em up Sala. [Smile]

Edit: The quotable lines come fast and furious, and we're only a couple pages into the story. Tell me again why November has to be so confoundedly far away? [Big Grin]

twinv7
Member # 12376

- posted      Profile for twinv7           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh, I hope the book is long! Those chapters read fast, and I hate when a book ends too quickly. Though, I'm guessing Pathfinder will be a series.

***Spoiler***

Does anyone else think that the end of Chapter three gives hints that his father did not die? I think it's pretty obvious. His dad obviously had some kind of powers, maybe a master at pathfinding, and he faked his death because he wanted to be sure his son never saw his body. And I think a pathfinder simply cannot see another pathfinder's trail, except his own. I could be completely wrong though.

..End spoiler

[ August 15, 2010, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: twinv7 ]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

Amazon has it marked as a trilogy, with this book being 672 pages! [Big Grin]
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinv7
Member # 12376

- posted      Profile for twinv7           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That may be enough...until a new Bean book!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:-) This is good news, though I'm a little afraid of the comparison with Treason. I've been working on that book for a while now and it just can't catch my attention.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

Having just reread Treason a week or two ago, I'm seeing fewer comparisons than I thought there would be. For one thing, OSC's writing style has evolved through time, so if you're having trouble getting through Treason (written LONG ago) it may be because his style of writing has changed. His work is much more fleshed out now than it was then.
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So since a Pathfinder can interact with the past could it be that his "dad" was actually a future him?
Posts: 2844 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XenaDancer
Member # 12386

- posted      Profile for XenaDancer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where are the first three chapters available to read?!?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.hatrack.com/osc/books/pathfinder/pathfinder_01.shtml
Posts: 1862 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SingerGuy59
Member # 5934

- posted      Profile for SingerGuy59   Email SingerGuy59         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay:
So since a Pathfinder can interact with the past could it be that his "dad" was actually a future him?

That's certainly a possible storyline, as is twinv7's supposition that his dad is another Pathfinder and faked his death to send Rigg on a discovery quest. However, it is much more like OSC that the dad really died and Rigg has to do all of his discovery on his own with no safety net of dad still being alive. I suspect that all of Rigg's powers have not yet been fully revealed or even hinted at in these first three chapters.

I just placed my Amazon order! Really looking forward to getting past Halloween now. [Big Grin]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the first three chapters. I like the characterization, the way things played out in the village (so far).

I'm a bit nervous about how the fantasy/magic/weird science aspects will be handled. I'd like to understand the rules of what's going on, or at least be completely convinced there are rules, but a few rather arbitrary-seeming things already happened. I know OSC knows it is important to develop such rules and to stick to them, so I'm pretty sure he'll handle it just fine, but...well, time travel stuff is tricky. I don't like a lot of the paradox resolution I've seen attempted by other authors. (I did like the way it was handled in Pastwatch, though, so that's very promising.)

I'm only going on about my qualms because of how much I want this to be a really good book, not so much because I expect it not to be.

Posts: 3985 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.