FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » How Long Until Alvin Maker...?

Author Topic: How Long Until Alvin Maker...?
marcmandy
Member # 12430

- posted      Profile for marcmandy   Email marcmandy         Edit/Delete Post 
Waaaaaay back, I read the first Alvin book, Seventh Son. When I realized it would be an ongoing series, I decided to buy the books, but hold off until the series was complete. That seemed viable at the time. Now, Lo these many years later, as my bones creak and my body aches, I am wondering if the series will ever be complete? Is there any idea when the final Alvin book will come out? I'll buy it in hardcover if I have to! I promise!
marc

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Problem is that Card writes of such an amazing Smith that he doesn't himself realize when he has too many irons in the fire.

So many of us are anxious for it, but we don't have any word on it aside from 'it's not next on the list right now.'

Welcome to Hatrack.

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be surprised if it never gets written, honestly.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I fully expect to return in the seventh book as a janitor. So it must get written.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

I won't be upset if it doesn't, honestly. I have to assume that if a series trails off, it's because the author has either butted up against an insoluble problem in the narrative, and weren't able to work around it, or simply lost interest. I'd much rather see an author I like produce something entirely new that they're excited about than put out a hugely flawed book, or a book that was simply written out of contractual obligation.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
The "bones creak and my body aches" phrase, I can identify with. I was 19 when I first read Seventh Son. I'm 42 now. I've read the first three so many times. I've read Journeyman and Heartfire once each. I purchased Crystal City when it was published, but have not read it yet. I will not until the last book is finished, then I will read them all straight through.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

I won't be upset if it doesn't, honestly. I have to assume that if a series trails off, it's because the author has either butted up against an insoluble problem in the narrative, and weren't able to work around it, or simply lost interest. I'd much rather see an author I like produce something entirely new that they're excited about than put out a hugely flawed book, or a book that was simply written out of contractual obligation.
Exactly.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badman
Member # 11886

- posted      Profile for badman           Edit/Delete Post 
This is what happens when Authors write with no clear plan for an ending. There's a lot to be said for that organic style, but it can be pretty frustrating for the reader.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, I think the plan for this series was always pretty much existent.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marcmandy
Member # 12430

- posted      Profile for marcmandy   Email marcmandy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there. Marc again from the top. I decided I'd waited long enough and have just completed listening to the unabridged Audible presentation of the complete series. The books were all very well done and I come out of the experience wanting the "more" That Mr Card does indeed promise in a postscript to one of the early books in the series, *But* [pay attention Sean] I do not feel as though I am left hanging at the end of "Crystal City." Without spoilers I can safely say that he leaves us with the main story-lines tied up neatly and gives hints and forebodings of things to come, but you come away *without* that cliff-hanger, "Oh noooo, Pauline" feeling. I would very much like to go onto the next book, but I can, for now, walk away from it and move on to my next book. If you're holding out to read it, I would say "Don't" It's thoroughly enjoyable and mostly complete unto itself. I'm glad I decided to dive in.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Hey, guy. [Smile] We don't get many people who join and make one post and then actually come back two years later to further respond to the original post.

In any event, glad you enjoyed the series. [Smile] If you haven't already read them, I suggest the Homecoming series.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit, my resolve is weakening.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vineyarddawg
Member # 13007

- posted      Profile for vineyarddawg           Edit/Delete Post 
Responding to dormant threads FTW...

The Alvin Maker series was the first OSC series I ever read, and I completed the first 5 books before reading any other OSC book, even before Ender's Game. I loved the alternate history aspect mixed with the early American folklore, and I soaked it up just as eagerly as I have any Enderverse book.

With that said, I'm satisfied if "Crystal City" turns out to be the final book in the series. The places all of the characters have ended up at that point in the book is relatively stable (from a plot perspective), and there is a satisfying feeling of most of the major plot lines having been resolved in some form or fashion.

All of the ends have not neatly been tied up, but I actually prefer a narrative that doesn't conclude with a neat, tidy ending. I like using my imagination to figure out what the various factions in Alvin's world might do next, and how those actions might evolve out over a period of 10 or 20 years.

At this point, I'm in a place where I'm actually hoping that "Alvin Master" is shelved. I've given so much thought to where the various characters might go from the end of Crystal City that I'll almost be disappointed to figure out which version is "correct," if any of them turn out to be. :-)

Posts: 124 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mulrich
Member # 12863

- posted      Profile for mulrich   Email mulrich         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'd rather see OSC pen a conclusion to the series. This was one of my favorite series growing up and I'd love to reread it but I'm waiting until the final book comes out. I have an idea of how it ends but I'd rather read OSCs story.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.