FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Confused about Ender's Game editions.

Author Topic: Confused about Ender's Game editions.
RHelg80
Member # 12478

- posted      Profile for RHelg80           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, first time poster here. Let me preface this by saying that this is perhaps my own fault, for assuming and not doing any research before making my purchase.

Anyway, a little background: I have read the entire series to date except War of Gifts. I have read most books in the series more than once, and some of them half a dozen times or more, and I will often skim through them without reading cover to cover.

As such, some of the contradictions between Ender in Exile and the end of the first few editions of Ender's Game are pretty glaring. I know I am not suggesting anything new here: Card himself has acknowledged this. He promised a rewrite of Chapter 15 of Ender's Game back in 2008, which would be available to OSC subscribers as well as in a future edition of Ender's Game.

I have a paperback copy of Ender's Game that I purchased around....2002 or so? It's hard to remember. At the time I read and re-read it multiple times. Then I moved on to other books in the series, which I also read and re-read multiple times. As such, I have not revisted Ender's Game for many years.

I received a Kindle (latest generation) for Christmas and decided to look and see if Ender's Game had finally popped up on the Kindle Store, and lo and behold it had! What's more is that it was "published" on April 1, 2010. So I assumed it would have the revised chapter. I admit, one of the reasons for my purchase was curiosity over the rewrite.

But it was the same as my paperback, at least insofar as I remember. Did a rewrite ever come out? I was really surprised to see the contradictions still there (Abra, for instance, is described as having come to the colony as a three-year old immigrant rather than being a third-generation colonist when Ender gets there).

Also, the n-word in the beginning, when Ender is speaking to Alai. From what I've gathered, the anti-racism exchange between Alai and Ender was something OSC was asked to remove by his editor, or something. It is in the Kindle edition, but I don't remember it being in my paperback. Am I just misremembering? I don't really have any thoughts on this either way, I'm just curious.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josh4372
Member # 13410

- posted      Profile for Josh4372   Email Josh4372         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I am a newcomer to the forums. I have read Ender's Game and I just finished Ender in Exile. I read the afterword in Ender in Exile and immediately wondered whether the new edition to Ender's Game had already came out since Orson Scott Cord announced that it would be made a while ago. So, my question is if it has came out already and if it hasn't when will it.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MathTeacherGuy
Member # 13034

- posted      Profile for MathTeacherGuy           Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a Barnes & Noble the other day and saw that in the newest edition of Ender's Game, it does indeed have the exchange between Ender and Alai. So does my Kindle edition. But not my 1994 paperback.

I wish I'd thought to look at the publication date on the newest edition, because now that's bugging me. I tried looking it up on Amazon, but I'm not even seeing the edition I was thumbing through at Barnes & Noble. Looks like I'll be stopping by again. I'll also look for changes to chapter 15.

Posts: 40 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.