FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Planet Founders

Author Topic: Planet Founders
schersimon
Member # 12551

- posted      Profile for schersimon   Email schersimon         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that

Jason Worthing
Ender Wiggin
Pathfinder Character Rav or something

all of these characters found a new planet that they colonize and make in their image. I could add to this list the family from Lost Gate as they create a compound and selectively breed like the Worthing compound.

Alvin Maker founds a new utopian city of light in that series

It is an interesting thing that in most of OSC's books the main character becomes an all powerful creator by winning. in all of his other books this same event happens in a slightly different way.

In the Homecoming series they all return to earth after it was colonized (Just like in Pathfinder) and when they get back to earth NEphi writes golden plates (like mormon joseph smith found) and starts a society.

Empire series is all about world building. Like Peter Wiggin, Averil Torrent is all about conquering the world and setting up his united personal utopia.

I think that this grabbing of power, this building of perfect worlds is what makes all of OSC's books similar but so wonderful and constantly stimulating that we cannot put them down. What do you think of this motif?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ValPal
Member # 12550

- posted      Profile for ValPal           Edit/Delete Post 
I have read most of the Ender series multiple times and am familiar with Alvin Maker. OSC recreates a "Morning has Broken" (for all you Cat Stevens fans), a kinda dew-on-the-grass or new-fallen snow (take your pick), just stepped out of the Garden into a new world scenario, or (wink wink) a coming-across-the-mountains-to-find-a-great-lake moment. I'll even add the 'led by the Prophet,' motif, since I do consider Ender a Prophet, but that's another post.

This "worldset" may be random Mormom influences floating around OSC's brain, but it IS endlessly stimulating once his hands dextrously wrap it. I just came back to seriously reading science fiction after a decade or so away with the Old Masters (Faulkner, Wharton, Tolstoy, dead white "Europeans" ad nauseum), so I'm looking forward to reading more recent OSC novels.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacket250
Member # 12574

- posted      Profile for Jacket250   Email Jacket250         Edit/Delete Post 
(Post Removed by Janitor Blade. Spam)

[ May 19, 2011, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Whistled.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
He also has a tendancy to write about children faced with adult situations. He does really well with kids' POVs, and I think he realizes this. It's in quite a few of his novels and those are usually my favorites. Granted, in most of them the child grows up, but usually the books begin with the POV of a child and go from there. It just seems to work for him.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.