FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » New to the Ender Series

Author Topic: New to the Ender Series
ArmyShadow
Member # 13103

- posted      Profile for ArmyShadow   Email ArmyShadow         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Ender's Game, I don't know how many times, in fact in Afghanistan I passed the book around to fellow soldiers who don't read, usually at all. When skeptical, I would read passages that resonated with soldiers, which was enough to get them hooked more often than not. Anyways, I was not even aware there were sequels till recently, I burned through Speaker, Xenocide, and Children in less than a week. The depth and excellence, it gives me something to ponder as I work my meaningful and yet simple job. I literally just finished Ender in Exile, and saw in the afterword that this forum even existed. What of the "Shadow" series? when does most of it take place and where does it factor in?

anyways, Mr. Card does a great job always. especially when he writes things like this that ring true in my heart

"His forehead was creased and furrowed. His breathing was quick and light. He was a soldier, and if anyone had asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up, he wouldn't have known what they meant." --Ender's Game

Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome. Kind words about Ender's Game are always especially appreciated when the come from soldiers. I will certainly pass your words on to Mr. Card.

As to your question -- the Shadow books all take place on Earth after Ender's Game. They are about what happens to the other soldiers in his jeesh and the conflicts after the formic wars are over.

Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArmyShadow
Member # 13103

- posted      Profile for ArmyShadow   Email ArmyShadow         Edit/Delete Post 
Do they talk about Bean and Petra's stolen children, somehow after reading the quartet, i feel like i may have jumped a gap somehow reading Ender in Exile. But I'll certainly have to dive into that. I suppose a great commander is nothing without a great Jeesh

As for saying anything to Mr. Card, Who I am sure has heard from many soldiers, If nothing else my sincere gratitude i wish to convey most of all. Soldiers that would never think to pick up a book of their own volition, read Ender's Game when I showed them why they ought to and how close to home it hits for all of us. It's as if The Speaker wrote for IF Marines, but in real life.I mean as far as training and the general attitude before and after war goes.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the Shadow books give all the details on Bean and Petra's children. You should definitely read them.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vineyarddawg
Member # 13007

- posted      Profile for vineyarddawg           Edit/Delete Post 
In essence, the entire Shadow series is about the stories of Bean, Petra, their children, and Peter. I highly recommend it, though the "Speaker" books are still my favorites.
Posts: 124 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArmyShadow
Member # 13103

the only reason i'm even skeptical is just because i hate Peter, Like most readers probably do. But Bean was straight, and Petra was okay as well. Ill definately check it out. Just Saying, I think Xenocide was my favorite. Made me think a lot about a lot of things.
Joel0903
Member # 13134

- posted      Profile for Joel0903           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say read them in the order the were published. EG
SFD
Xenocide
COM
The first 4 Shadow novels
Ender in Exile - This should be read after the Shadow Series
The short stories collection First Meetings (not required, but they're interesting and include the original (not very good) 1978 short story Ender's Game
Shadows In Flight
Shadows Alive

The First Bugger War novels can be read separately, if you wish to read them, as none of the other books have any bearing on them.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joel0903
Member # 13134

- posted      Profile for Joel0903           Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, First Formic War. I'll probably get sued by some PC nutter now for being politically incorrect.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Xenocide is my favorite too. Be pleased, sir-- we are a minority.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
While Children of the Mind is my favorite of the Speaker books, I really liked Xenocide. I haven't quite figured out where all the "It's the worst book in the Speaker series" thing comes from.
Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.