FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The Culture (Feb 2015)

Author Topic: The Culture (Feb 2015)
GentleGiant
Member # 12377

- posted      Profile for GentleGiant           Edit/Delete Post 
I blame the loss of the old classic songs squarely on the record labels who have forced smaller and smaller "play Lists" on the radio stations, and charge higher and higher fees for the honour of playing the songs they are trying to sell.

I stopped listening to broadcast radio when it got to the point where you would hear the same songs 3-4 times EVERY DAY, and switched to internet radio - until the likes of Sony cut them down to size as well.

About the ONLY exposure to music older than a few years is now in films.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's not uncommon to hear the same song being played on 2 or 3 radio stations at the same time anymore. It's just kind of sad.

That being said I'm 26 and completely familiar with Rodgers and Hammerstein and actually quite a bit of music from the 30s and 40s, so I wouldn't go so far as to think of those songs as "lost."

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Pandora plays any durn thing ya like...eventually, and helps you find "new" music.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Although I do wonder how this relates to OSC?
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the newest "Uncle Orson" on the main site.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Ahhh...thanks.
GentleGiant
Member # 12377

- posted      Profile for GentleGiant           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dogreath,; it IS lost to large parts of the population; I go out of my way to expose the children under my care (and my own children), to as wide a variety of music - new, old and ancient - as possible; but the majority of children I encounter only get exposed to the local "popular" channels, or the main national channels at home.

Where I live that means BBC Radio One and either BBC Herefordshire and Worcestershire or the local commercial conglomeration (6 names - same playlist).

The same is true of where I work, most of the staff are under 35, and I can play music all week before they hear a song they recognise - usually something featured in a TV advert.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.