FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Homecoming saga

Author Topic: Homecoming saga
zlogdan
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Since I have recovered from natural bigotry and stupidity towards OSC, every free time I get ( usually before sleeping and when I am going back home from my work place in the charter bus) I have been reading OSC books. I have devoured Alvin's 7th Son and started the first Homecoming series books next.

I like to read about the books I am currently reading on Wikipedia and of course I knew about the fact OSC based The Homecoming series on the book of Mormons. I know how committed to his faith OSC is but I was wondering about his belief on the actual events described in that book and his intentions and motivations as a writer of science fiction retelling the Book Of Mormons in a science fiction context:

Then I found this (from a link on wikipedia's entry on Homecoming saga):
http://www.nauvoo.com/library/card-bookofmormon.html

This is a long essay by OSC on the Book Of Mormons. I found it a real fascinating reading and this part especially put me into tears:

quote:
Now, does this mean that I've proved the Book of Mormon true? Obviously not. You can always still suppose that perhaps Joseph Smith or whoever wrote the Book of Mormon was the greatest and luckiest creator of phony documents from made-up alien cultures ever in history. The Book of Mormon only matters because it's a life-changing book.

That's part of what I'm trying to do in my Homecoming books, examine the Book of Mormon, not as a scholar because I'm not one, but as somebody whose business is making assumptions about the hearts and minds of individual human beings, and telling stories about them that try to be as honest as possible

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.