FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Would you (or could you) have tried to stop the piggies from planting you

Author Topic: Would you (or could you) have tried to stop the piggies from planting you
Joseph Norton
Member # 13639

- posted      Profile for Joseph Norton   Email Joseph Norton         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi:

First of all, please excuse any spelling errors, especially regarding names. I am blind, and have read the Ender series in audio, so may not have the proper spelling of some names.

If I had been Pipo or Libo, I wonder if I would have cared so much about the StarWays code about non-intervention that I would have let the Piggies try to "plant" me.

I could see myself begin struggling and yelling if they had started at me with a knife, especially after I had seen what happened to rooter.

But, for that matter, would they have been holding me down in such a way so that I could not have stopped the process?

I never could figure out if Pipo or Libo had a lot of say once the "planting" process was started, so to speak.

I just can't imagine myself just lying there and letting them cut me apart like they did Pipo and Libo.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
What I remember, my impression, is that Libo and Pipo expressed their terror and agony when planted. The pequeninos were disconcerted and, perhaps, a bit disapproving of the hullabaloo, but proceeded politely as they thought proper.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I will admit that I find the circumstances around Pipo and Libo's deaths a little odd. Because I imagine that when they were handed the ritual knives and told "butcher me or I will butcher you," they would have SAID SOMETHING. They would beg, they would protest, they would ask that someone take their last words to their families. They would try to leave. Would the piggies then forcibly restrain the people they believe are arrogating to themselves their society's greatest honor? And then not deliver any messages to their families?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.