FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Word of the Day (Page 16)

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Word of the Day
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Celia and Doug showed exemplary use of the word tenacious.

and they helped me start the 16th page.

[This message has been edited by Bob_Scopatz (edited March 26, 2002).]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

- posted      Profile for Dobie   Email Dobie         Edit/Delete Post 
The Word of the Day for March 27 is:

omniscient \ahm-NIH-shunt\ (adjective)
1 : having infinite awareness, understanding, and insight
2 : possessed of universal or complete knowledge

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jacare
Member # 950

- posted      Profile for jacare   Email jacare         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if I was omniscient, I wouldn't know it.
Posts: 175 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trebz
Member # 2700

- posted      Profile for trebz   Email trebz         Edit/Delete Post 
word of the day

scurrilous: to be obscenely insolent

Posts: 53 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbs
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for tabbs   Email tabbs         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to put a sticker on my window, in the sense that people put up "Monte Carlo" and such...but it was going to say "Insolent Beast" in refference to the way my car acts...

Scurrilous Beast... I'm not so sure it has that nice ring...

Posts: 47 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Even the non-omniscient (semiscient?) would realize how scurrilous it is to attempt a hijacking of the word of the day thread. Some rules were meant to be broken. Some were meant to be followed like Spring follows Winter. -5 to trebz for violation of the natural order of things.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trebz
Member # 2700

- posted      Profile for trebz   Email trebz         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't hijack anything! +200 to trebz for putting up with the scurrilous behaviour of Bob...
Posts: 53 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for March 28 is:

containerize \kun-TAY-nuh-ryze\ (verb)
1 : to ship by containerization
2 : to pack in containers

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
<----wails off-key:

I simply can't containerize my feelings for you, my love. I'd have to cauterize my aorta and gouge out my eyes, love.

You may say I'm obstinate and tenacious
Well, it's better than abstinent and capricious.

Oh, I can't conyainerize my feelings for you-oo-oo-oo-oo!

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I plan to spend Easter Sunday helping a friend containerize the most recent 30 years of his life.

Doug J
Member # 1323

- posted      Profile for Doug J   Email Doug J         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people containerize thier BS on this forum. But not me, never me....
Posts: 7083 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for March 29 is:

Casbah \KAZ-bah or KAHZ-bah\ (noun)
1 : a North African castle or fortress
2 : the native section of a North African city

Doug J
Member # 1323

...The shareef don't like it
Rockin' the Casbah
Rock the Casbah....

Posts: 7083 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Having teleported into the middle of the Casbah, her first impulse was, unfortunately, to disguise herself as a rare species of Rhino.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for March 30 is:

incognito \in-kahg-NEE-toh or in-KAHG-nuh-toh\ (adverb or adjective)
: with one's identity concealed

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Dobie is one of the most successfully icognito personalities on Hatrack.

Unseen
Member # 3227

- posted      Profile for Unseen   Email Unseen         Edit/Delete Post 
Whereas Bob's misspelling of incognito is as apparent as his identity.
Posts: 237 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for March 31 is:

hyperbole \hye-PER-buh-lee\ (noun)
: extravagant exaggeration

Dobie
Member # 1130

I'm getting tired of doing this whole "Word of the Day" thing, so I'm ending this right now. Fron now on there will be no more new words, and I will be deleting this whole thread soon, probably in the next day or two
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that's just hyperbole. If you're getting tired of it, just let someone else hijack the thread.

Ron Lambert

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
but Dobie, i like it.
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Would it be hyperbole to say that I have enjoyed the Word of the Day thread more consistently than any other thread on Hatrack?

Dobie, thanks for a good run. If someone wants to take it over, or start a new thread, I think that'd be fine.

In the meantime, I'd just like to thank Dobie for his dedication.

Always leave 'em wanting more!

Doug J
Member # 1323

Of course, this could be dobie's april fool's joke.
Col.Graff
Member # 3175

- posted      Profile for Col.Graff   Email Col.Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
Dobies idea to end the thread could be a hyperbole solution to other people attempting to steal his thread.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

Of course anyone still interested in a "Word of the Day" can click here.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Dobie wins the April Fools contest on Hatrack.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Whether or not ending this thread is Dobie's "April Fool", I, for one, am almost psychotically inspired by his mind-bending dedication to this thread.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for April 1 is:
Rube Goldberg \ROOB-GOHLD-berg\ (adjective)
: accomplishing by complex means what seemingly could be done simply
:characterized by such complex means

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The programmer's code was such a Rube Goldberg that it took the company 500 person hours to figure out that all it did was turn off the lights in the men's bathroom at random intervals. Many a suit was happy to see the program deleted.

Doug J
Member # 1323

Damn it! There's Bob gettin' all Rube Goldberg on me again! Can ya tone it down for us mis-educated foke?
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for April 2 is:
facsimile \fak-SIH-muh-lee\ (noun)
1 : an exact copy
2 : a system of transmitting and reproducing graphic matter (as printing or still pictures) by means of signals sent over telephone lines

Aelysium
Member # 2940

- posted      Profile for Aelysium   Email Aelysium         Edit/Delete Post 
That post is a facsimile of what Dobie typed on his computer.

Ae

Posts: 397 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
We should probably have a facsimile of this thread in case, like the 1,000 post thread, it disappears.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for April 3 is:
indubitable \in-DOO-buh-tuh-bul\ (adjective)
: too evident to be doubted
: unquestionable

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
We should indubitabilitly have a facsimile of this thread in case, like the 1,000 post thread, it disappears.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hilma
Member # 3077

- posted      Profile for hilma   Email hilma         Edit/Delete Post 
It is indubitabilitly the 4th of April - what is the word?
Posts: 36 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for April 4 is:
garble \GAR-buhl\ (verb)
: to distort the meaning or sound of

Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it really true?
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, if this thread gets much bigger, the glitch is going to garble it.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

It has always struck me as odd that stutterers practice with marbles in their mouth to produce speech which is less garbled.
Jeni
Member # 1454

Bob's a day late and a dollar short on the word of the day
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, Pat, somebody - Maybe we should keep this alive in the spirit of the mischievous D. ?
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

The Word of the Day for April 5 is:

magnum opus • \MAG-num-OH-pus\ • (noun)
: a great work; especially : the greatest achievement of an artist or writer

LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeni helped Dobie continue his magnum opus.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

The Word of the Day for April 6 is:

septentrional • \sep-TEN-tree-uh-nul\ • (adjective)
: northern

Jeni
Member # 1454

The Word of the Day for April 6 is:

septentrional • \sep-TEN-tree-uh-nul\ • (adjective)
: northern

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Who would like to use the word septentrional if they can say northern?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I waited up all night to see the Septentrional Illuminations.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for April 7th is:

raddled • \RAD-uld\ • (adjective)
1 : being in a state of confusion : lacking composure
*2 : broken-down, worn

Darling
Member # 2970

- posted      Profile for Darling           Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Dobie has been feeling raddled lately, and if that is why he has posted no new words of the day since April 4th.

I also wonder, incidentally, how far this thread is from critical mass.

Posts: 96 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.