FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Word of the Day (Page 20)

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Word of the Day
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
" and "gigg," meaning "top." "

So if I go Frog Gigging, I'm putting a Frog on a whirling top? Interesting visual.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
denegation • \deh-nih-GAY-shun\ • (noun)
: denial

Did you know?
Even if we didn't provide you with a definition, you might guess the meaning of "denegation" from the "negation" in there. Both words are ultimately derived from the Latin verb "negare," meaning "to deny," and both first arrived in English in the 15th century. "Negare" is also the source of our "abnegation" ("self-denial"), "negate" ("to deny the truth of"), and "renegade" (which originally referred to someone who leaves, and therefore denies, a religious faith). Even "deny" and "denial" are "negare" descendants. Like "denegation," they came to us from "negare" by way of Latin "denegare," which also means "to deny."

From Merriam-Webster's® online Word of the Day

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The Word of the Day for June 16 is:

ennui • \ahn-WEE\ • (noun)
: a feeling of weariness and dissatisfaction : boredom

Did you know?
The French loanword "ennui" comes from the very same Old French word that gave us "annoy." We borrowed "ennui" several centuries after absorbing "annoy" into the language. "Ennui" deals more with boredom than irritation—and a somewhat specific sort of boredom at that. It generally refers to the feeling of jadedness that can result from living a life of too much ease. The poet Charles Lloyd described it well in his 1823 "Stanzas to Ennui" when he referred to that world-weary sensation as a "soul-destroying fiend" which visits with its "pale unrest / The chambers of the human breast / Where too much happiness hath fixed its home."

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting to think that the EE in my EE600 class stands for "endless ennui". Then I look at the homework and realize it stands for "extra evil".
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
My beloved has grown sick of teen angst during his stint teaching college, and he has longed for a T-shirt proclaiming:

"I'm so bored with ennui."

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

CT, I like it!

How about

Ennui...
whatever...

Celia, how about eggheads enrolled?

celia60
Member # 2039

If only it had said "eggheads enrolled," I would have known better than to take it!
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 17 is:

catbird seat • \KAT-berd-SEET\ • (noun)
: a position of great prominence or advantage

Did you know?
"In the catbird seat" was among the numerous folksy expressions with which the legendary baseball broadcaster Red Barber delighted listeners. Some say he invented the expression, others say that he dug it up from his Southern origins. But the facts actually have an odd twist. In a 1942 short story titled "The Catbird Seat," James Thurber featured a character, Mrs. Barrows, who liked to use the phrase. Another character, Joey Hart, explained that Mrs. Barrows must have picked up the expression from Red Barber. To Red, according to Joey, "sitting in the catbird seat" meant "'sitting pretty,' like a batter with three balls and no strikes on him." But, according to Barber's daughter, it was only after Barber read Thurber's story that he started using "in the catbird seat" himself!

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Sylvester (he of the slurpy sibilence) thought he was in the catbird seat until the bottom fell out of Tweedy's cage which, for some reason, was suspended over a very active dog park.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Mobius
Member # 3614

- posted      Profile for Dr. Mobius   Email Dr. Mobius         Edit/Delete Post 
I just used catbird seat in a sentence.

(I'll try harder next time, I promise.)

Posts: 338 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 18 is:

placate • \PLAY-kayt or PLAK-ayt\ • (verb)
: to soothe or mollify especially by concessions : appease

Did you know?
To this day, "placate" carries the essential meaning of its Latin parent, the verb "placare," which the Romans used to describe the process of soothing and changing bitterness or resentment into goodwill. "Placare" also gives us the adjective "placable," ("easily placated" or "tractable") and its familiar antonym "implacable" ("impossible to appease"). The earliest uses of "placate" as a verb in English date from the late 17th century (it appeared as an adjective a few years earlier, but that use was extremely rare and now is obsolete). Originally, it was usually an offended deity who needed to be placated, but today it can be anyone who is irritated or offended and in need of soothing.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Hatrackers! Join me. Together we will placate the ghost of Dobie.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 19 is:

indefeasible • \in-dih-FEE-zuh-bul\ • (adjective)
: not capable of being annulled or voided or undone

Did you know?
We acquired "indefeasible" in the mid-16th century by combining the English prefix "in-" ("not") with "defeasible," a word borrowed a century earlier from Anglo-French. "Defeasible" itself can be traced to an Old French verb meaning "to undo" or "to destroy." It's no surprise, then, that something indefeasible is essentially "un-undoable" or "indestructible." As you may have guessed, another member of the family is "feasible," meaning "capable of being done or carried out." Ultimately, all three—"indefeasible," "defeasible," and "feasible"—can be traced back to the Latin verb "facere," meaning "to do."

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 20 is:

oenophile • \EE-nuh-file\ • (noun)
: a lover or connoisseur of wine

Did you know?
"It has become quite a common proverb that in wine there is truth," wrote the 1st-century A.D. Roman scholar, Pliny the Elder. The truth about the word "wine" is that it goes back to Latin "vinum," but it is also a distant relative of the Greek word for wine, which is "oinos." It was the Greek word that modern English speakers chose to combine with "-phile" (Greek for "lover of") around 1930 to create "oenophile." Etymologically-inclined oenophiles are sure to know that "oenology" (the science of wine making) and "oenologist" (one versed in oenology) also trace back to the Greek root. And they may even know that "wine therapy" (use of wine for therapeutic purposes) is also known as "oenotherapy."

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 21 is:

jimjams • \JIM-jamz\ • (noun)
: jitters

Did you know?
When "jimjams" entered English in the 19th century, it referred to a specific kind of jitters—the "delirium tremens," a violent delirium caused by excessive drinking. "Jimjams" is not particularly common today, but when it is used in current American English it means simply "jitters." Etymologists aren't sure about the origin of the term. Some speculate that it came about as an alteration of "delirium tremens." Others, though uncertain of the origin of "jim" and "jam," notice that the word follows a pattern of similar words in which one sound is repeated or altered slightly. Interestingly, other words for "jitters" were formed in the same repetitive way—"whim-whams" and "heebie-jeebies" are examples.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Jimmy, the boy who wears slim jams*, got the jimjams after eating five pounds of slim jims.

* as opposed to the 'husky' fit jams. Toughskins came in 'husky.' I was a scrawny runt so I wore the slim fit ones. I had a pair of green ones (with slightly darker green knee patches) and a pair of rust ones in addition to the classic blue.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

A similar word in sound: flim-flam. Although I prefer gimcrack when searching for an adjective to describe something of shoddy quality and dubious origin.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 22 is:

gossamer • \GAH-suh-mer\ • (adjective)
: extremely light, delicate, or tenuous

Did you know?
When the weather suddenly turns warm in the midst of the chilly days of fall, we usually say we're having "Indian summer." Back when folks in England still spoke Middle English, they would call such a reprieve from the onset of winter "gossomer," literally "goose summer." It's not completely clear why people chose that name for a late-season warm spell, but it may be because October and November were the months when people felt that geese were at their best for eating. In Middle English, "gossomer" was also the name of the filmy cobwebs that often float in the autumn air, apparently because somebody thought the webs looked like the down of a goose.

Unseen
Member # 3227

- posted      Profile for Unseen   Email Unseen         Edit/Delete Post 
Gossamer people have a higher potential to slip out of roller coaster harnesses, or so I feared before riding Alpengeist at Busch Gardens, Williamsburg.
Posts: 237 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

regimen • \REH-juh-mun\ • (noun)
*1 : a systematic course of treatment or training
2 : government, rule
3 : a government in power : regime

Did you know?
We borrowed "regimen" straight from Latin, spelling and all. But in Latin, it simply meant "rule" or "government." In English, it usually means a system of rules or guidelines, often for living a healthy life or taking a regular dose of exercise. The Latin "regimen" derives from another Latin word, the verb "regere," which means "to lead straight" or "to rule." If you trace straight from "regere," you'll find that "regimen" has plenty of lexical kin, including "correct," "erect," "region," "rule," and "surge."

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 24 is:

incommunicado • \in-kuh-myoo-nuh-KAH-doh\ • (adverb or adjective)
: without means of communication; also : in solitary confinement

Did you know?
"Incommunicado" ultimately comes from Latin, but it made its way into English via Spanish. Journalist George Wilkins Kendall is the first known English writer to have used the word. In his 1844 Narrative of the Texan Santa Fe Expedition he wrote, "Now that I was incomunicado—now that all intercourse with my friends was cut off, . . . my situation became irksome in the extreme." The word comes from the past participle of the Spanish verb "incomunicar," meaning "to deprive of communication." The Spanish word, in turn, derives from the Latin prefix "in-" and the verb "comunicare," meaning "to communicate."

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

So I was at the bus stop the other day and I, like, realized that I, ummmm, had left my cell at Mauve's house, and it was like so horrible. I had nothing to do and the bus didn't come for like a whole ten minutes. It was like I was totally incommunicado. You know what I mean? I was like, where's a damn volleyball, you know? That movie was kind of gross though. The all hairy, big-foot, Chewbacca, Robin Williams look just really doesn't work for Tom Hanks. You know what I mean?
Lurker
Member # 3696

- posted      Profile for Lurker           Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 45 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Mobius
Member # 3614

- posted      Profile for Dr. Mobius   Email Dr. Mobius         Edit/Delete Post 
^
|
|
|

Lurker is incommunicado.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 25 is:

dreadnought • \DRED-nawt\ • (noun)
1 : a warm garment of thick cloth; also : the cloth
2 : battleship
*3 : one that is among the largest or most powerful of its kind

Did you know?
"Fear nothing"—that's essentially what "dread" plus "nought" means. The name might seem a strange one for a garment, but if you consider that dreadnoughts were worn on board ship, you can appreciate the colorful name perhaps as much as the seafaring men must have appreciated the thick protection. The clothes and the cloth, first called "fearnought" in the late 18th century, came long before the battleship. Not until 1906 did the British Navy launch the HMS Dreadnought, the first battleship to have a main armament consisting entirely of big guns all of the same caliber. All ships of this type were then called "dreadnoughts." That particular type of battleship soon became obsolete, but their legacy lives on in the extended third sense of "dreadnought."

jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
The tailor dreaded to get the knots out of my warm garment of thick cloth.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

The dreadnought slid lazily through the water, swaying and rocking as it went like an obese man walking down a hill his suspenders too tight and his feet crammed into a pair of imitation leather loafers, the flesh bulging out and skirting over the shoes like a yeasted bread dough that's gone awry because it was left to rise too long and the kitchen is much too warm.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 26 is:

dog days • \DOG-dayz\ • (noun plural)
*1 : the hot sultry period of summer between early July and early September in the northern hemisphere
2 : a period of stagnation or inactivity

Did you know?
Dogs aren't the only creatures uncomfortable in oppressive heat, so why does a dog get singled out in "dog days"? The dog here is actually the Dog Star, which is also called "Sirius." The star has long been associated with sultry weather in the northern hemisphere because its heliacal (i.e., early morning) rising coincides with the hottest days of summer. In the ancient Greek constellation system, this star (called "Seirios" in Greek) was considered the hound of the hunter Orion and was given the epithet "Kyon," meaning "dog." The Greek writer Plutarch referred to the hot days of summer as "hemerai kynades," literally "dog days," and a Latin translation of this expression as "dies caniculares" is the source of our English phrase.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 27 is:

enfant terrible • \ahn-fahn-teh-REE-bluh\ • (noun)
1 a : a child whose inopportune remarks cause embarrassment *b : a person known for shocking remarks or outrageous behavior
2 : a usually young and successful person who is strikingly unorthodox, innovative, or avant-garde

Did you know?
"Enfant terrible," which literally means "terrible child" in French, sounds like something that might be uttered by a frazzled babysitter. Indeed, when English speakers first borrowed the term in the mid-19th century, it was used in reference to children—specifically, unpredictable children who blurted out outrageous remarks that embarrassed their elders. By the 1930s, the term had a broader application: an enfant terrible could be anyone—young or old—whose behavior shocked others. Now the term is also often applied to young, successful newcomers who shock or scare old-timers with their new approaches, easy successes, or disregard for tradition.

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think some enfant terrible is going to get post no. 1000 on this thread?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Not if I lapse into another series of dog days during the upcoming dog days of summer.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 28 is:

catercorner • \KAT-ee-kor-ner or KAT-uh-kor-ner\ • (adverb or adjective)
: in a diagonal or oblique position : on a diagonal or oblique line

Did you know?
"Catercorner" also has the variants "kitty-corner" and "catty-corner," but despite appearances, no cats were involved in creation of this word. "Cater" derives from the Middle French noun "quatre" (or "catre"), which means "four." English speakers adopted the word to refer to the four-dotted side of a die—a side important in several winning combinations in dice games. Perhaps because the four spots on a die can suggest an X, "cater" eventually came to be used dialectically with the meaning "diagonal" or "diagonally." This "cater" was combined with "corner" to form "catercorner."

NOTE: I'll be gone for a few days. Feel free to post a word of the day yourself...

NOTE 2: I think we should allow Dobie the honor of the 1000th post.

Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
Note that as of last night this thread is one year old.
Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

They's gonna run outta words in a week or two... purty little words...
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unseen
Member # 3227

- posted      Profile for Unseen   Email Unseen         Edit/Delete Post 
The catercorners of parallelograms bisect each other.
Posts: 237 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for June 30 is:

crescent • \KREH-sunt\ • (adjective)
: marked by an increase

Did you know?
You probably know "crescent" as the shape of a moon that is less than half-illuminated. These days, "crescent" is generally used of either a waxing or waning moon, but that wasn't always the case. Originally, it referred only to the increasing illumination phase that immediately follows the new moon. That original meaning nicely reflects the meaning of the word's Latin ancestor "crescere," which means "to grow." The meaning of "crescere" also shines through when we use "crescent" as an adjective meaning "increasing" or "growing." English speakers have been using "crescent" in this way since the 16th century.

jehovoid
Member # 2014

We learned that in third grade because New Orleans is the Crescent City.
celia60
Member # 2039

canorous - (kan-OR-uhs), adj.: Melodious; musical

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for July 2 is:

duress • \dur-RESS\ • (noun)
1 : forcible restraint or restriction
*2 : compulsion by threat; specifically : unlawful constraint

Did you know?
"Duress" is a word of hardy stock. It has been a part of the English language since the 14th century, and has a number of long-lived relatives. "Duress" itself came into Middle English through the Middle French "duresce" (meaning "hardness" or "severity"), which stems from the Latin "durus," meaning "hard." Some obvious relatives of this robust root are "durable," "endure" and "obdurate" (meaning "unyielding" or "hardened in feelings"). Some others are "dour" (meaning "harsh," "unyielding," or "gloomy") and "during." Some think the Latin word "durus" is related to the Sanskrit "daru," which means "wood."

celia60
Member # 2039

This sentence was written under duress. Please do not think it reflects my actual opinion.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

::cracks whip::
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Ah, the canorous sound! My joy is full.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for July 3 is:

bon vivant • \bahn-vee-VAHNT or bohn-vee-VAHN\ • (noun)
: a person having cultivated, refined, and sociable tastes especially in respect to food and drink

Did you know?
Fans of fine French wine and cuisine won't be surprised to hear that the French language gave us a number of words for those who enjoy good living and good eating. "Gourmet," "gourmand," and "gastronome" come from French, as does "bon vivant." In the late 17th century, English speakers borrowed this French phrase, which literally means "good liver." No, we don't mean "liver," as in that iron-rich food your mother made you eat. We mean "liver," as in "one who lives"—in this case, "one who lives well."

Dr. Mobius
Member # 3614

<---bonvivantly challenged.
celia60
Member # 2039

I'm hosting a group of bon vivants this weekend. I sure hope my kitchen is up to their standards.

Bob, stop it! This is the second time in a month one of your posts has made me look over my shoulder to see if you were there. I just finished reading an email about todays word. The other, I was listening to Cecelia when you posted part of it. Get out of my head!

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Is a bon bon vivant someone who really likes their candy?

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Nope. It's someone who is so refined that they easily shame all those run-of-a-mill gourmands like Julia Childs and Alice Waters.

BTW:

You know your a bon vivant if...

... you refuse to drink mineral water unless it's drawn from a specific artesian well located deep in the Carpathian mountains

... you find the use of black truffle oil in risotto or other pasta dishes to be prosiac

... you flirted with, enjoyed and then repudiated quinine

... you enjoy the lowbrow humor of 'Frasier'

... you refuse to eat California rolls as a matter of principle

... you fry everything in ghee

... you like to shock your friends at parties by devouring most of the centerpiece

... one word: gamey

... are always sticking your nose up at everybody and in everything

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

That should be 'prosaic' not 'prosiac' ---I was trying to figure out how to fit in an item about celeriac and got my endings confused.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for July 4 is:

emulate • \EM-yuh-layt\ • (verb)
: to strive to equal or excel : imitate

Did you know?
If imitation really is "the sincerest flattery," in the words of Charles Caleb Colton, then past speakers of English clearly had a great admiration for the Latin language. The verb "emulate" joined the ranks of Latin-derived English terms in 1582. It comes from "aemulus," a Latin term for "rivaling" or "envious." Around the same time came the adjectives "emulate" and "emulous," meaning "striving to emulate" or sometimes "jealous." But "emulous" is rare these days, and the adjective "emulate" is obsolete. The latter had a brief moment of glory, however, when the unmatchable Shakespeare used it in Hamlet:

Our last king,
Whose image even but now appear'd to us,
Was, as you know, by Fortinbras of Norway,
Thereto prick'd on by a most emulate pride,
Dar'd to the combat. . . .

As for prosiac, isn't that a antidepressant for robots?

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for July 5 is:

umpteen • \UMP-teen\ • (adjective)
: very many : indefinitely numerous

Did you know?
"I'll go to bed and I'll not get up for umpty-eleven months." You know the feeling. The speaker here is war-weary Bill, a character in Patrick MacGill's 1917 novel The Great Push. His "umpty" originated in the wee years of the 20th century and stood for an indefinite number, generally largish. (It was probably created by analogy to actual numbers such as "twenty.") Soon, there followed "umpteen," analogous to the numbers ending with "teen." "Umpteen" is indefinite and always large -- so is the adjective "umpteenth." We only occasionally use "umpty" these days (and even more rarely "umptieth"), but you're bound to hear or read "umpteen" and "umpteenth" any number of times.

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.