FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Word of the Day (Page 6)

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Word of the Day
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that John Keats' post claiming to have already won the Word of the Day qualifies as a conundrum.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

- posted      Profile for Dobie   Email Dobie         Edit/Delete Post 
How right you are!
Posts: 1127 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 2 is:

anathematize \uh-NATH-uh-muh-tyze\ (verb)
1 : to solemnly pronounce an ecclesiastical ban or curse upon (one who is being excommunicated)
2 : to denounce as accursed

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snorri
Member # 2195

- posted      Profile for Snorri   Email Snorri         Edit/Delete Post 
Should John Keats be anathematized for claiming to have won?
Posts: 394 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Before we anathematize John Keats, we need to have a torture session, um, I mean a trial to determine the extent of his guilt.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 3 is:

deasil \DEE-zul\ (adverb)
: clockwise

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 4 is:

heterodox \HEH-tuh-ruh-dahks or HEH-truh-dahks\ (adjective)
1 : contrary to or different from an acknowledged standard, a traditional form, or an established religion
: unorthodox, unconventional
2 : holding unorthodox opinions or doctrines

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

He thought he was so heterodox, but his bath water drained deasil, just like everyone else's.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 5 is:
grisly • \GRIZ-lee\ • (adjective)
1 : inspiring horror or intense fear
2 : inspiring disgust or distaste

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The grisly gristle caused me to grit my teeth. You might say it provided grist for the mill.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 6 is:

tare \TAIR\ (noun)
1 : a deduction from the gross weight of a substance and its container made in allowance for the weight of the container;
:also, the weight of the container
2 : counterweight

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

After deducting the tare weight of Otaku's arguments, I found there was nothing left.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 7 is:

maunder \MAWN-der or MAHN-der\ (verb)
1 : to wander slowly and idly
2 : to speak indistinctly or disconnectedly

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, I have a special request, can you use deasil in a sentence.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snorri
Member # 2195

Before the 18th century, clocks were uncommon enough that most people didn't know which way they turned, nor was a common direction established until well into the 17th century. For some reason (snobbishness, perhaps?) English-speaking people decided to use "clockwise" just about as soon as a common direction for clocks was established. Most other languages use the equivalents of deasil and widdershins, which in English is only used when trying to sound mediaeval.

Edit:

I apologise if this post seems maundering.

[This message has been edited by Snorri (edited November 07, 2001).]

Posts: 394 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
A little late, but still good:

quote:
“I have heard frequent use,” said the late Lord Sandwich, in a debate on the Test Laws, “of the words ‘orthodoxy’ and ‘heterodoxy;’ but I confess myself at a loss to know precisely what they mean.” “Orthodoxy, my Lord,” said Bishop Walburton, in a whisper,—“orthodoxy is my doxy; heterodoxy is another man’s doxy.” --Priestley: Memoirs, vol. i. p. 572.

The man was deasil to my widdershins: faint at heart, I had to lie down.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for Al           Edit/Delete Post 
The supplement for Nov. 7 is:

wysteria (noun)

: wetting one's pants while laughing hysterically

----------------------------
Sorry, Dobie, heard it this morning and had to post. Won't happen again. : )

[This message has been edited by Al (edited November 07, 2001).]

Posts: 237 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Irami, here's the sentence I put up there before. I'm not actually sure it's a correct usage of deasil.

quote:
He thought he was so heterodox, but his bath water drained deasil, just like everyone else's

Today's submission:

I strained to hear his maundering speech, after which I wished he'd spoken truly when he'd said he was at a loss for words.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 8 is:

raillery \RAY-luh-ree\ (noun)
1 : good-natured ridicule
: banter
2 : jest

Snorri
Member # 2195

The Hatrack forum has a perfect mixture of serious discussion and raillery.

(Edit: Misspelled 'Hatracck'...)

[This message has been edited by Snorri (edited November 08, 2001).]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

One man's raillery is another man's rivalry.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 9 is:

vapid \VAP-id or VAY-pid\ (adjective)
: lacking liveliness, tang, briskness, or force
: flat, dull

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

His vapid stare reminded me that I'd forgotten to feed my fish.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 10 is:

ingratiate \in-GRAY-shee-ayt\ (verb)
: to gain favor or favorable acceptance for by deliberate effort—usually used with "with"

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

In a futile attempt to ingratiate herself with her hosts, Marva lifted the plate to her face and licked it clean!

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 11 is:

jejune \jih-JUNE\ (adjective)
1 : lacking nutritive value
2 : devoid of significance or interest
: dull
3 : juvenile, puerile

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I tend toward the jejune on Hatrack.
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to say that I love this thread. Bob Scopatz and Dobie, you rule! <laughs>

The one thing I miss is etymological information. Like, how on earth did they come up with the word widdershuns? I can always remember and make sense of a word better if I know where it came from. Do they tell anything about that in the place (whereever it is) that you're getting these from?

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Widdershuns -- see thread on pet names for significant others.

Alternative etiology -- Old English. Compound word from "Widow" and "Shun" -- On St. Widowshun's day (3rd Sunday in Lent), the towns elderly widows were rounded up and paraded through the streets while people threw rotten fruit, vegetables, mud, and animal dung at them. Later, the practice was modified by the church into almsgiving and quilting bees. In America, the practice gave rise to the Salem witch trials and canning fruits and vegetables to preserve them.

aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Bob! Now I understand. That makes so much more sense to me now.
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I think my biggest problem with "deasil" was that it was an adverb (it describes how something moves). But I think I've risen above it. Thanks all.

[This message has been edited by Irami Osei-Frimpong (edited November 11, 2001).]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary
does give etymological information for their "Word of the Day" (although they don't give that information in their regular dictionary entries), but I don't include it out of concern for copyright restrictions.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 12 is:

scarify \SKAIR-uh-fye\ (verb)
1 : to make scratches or small cuts in (as skin)
: to lacerate the feelings of
2 : to break up and loosen the surface of (as a field or road)
3 : to cut or soften the wall of (a hard seed) to hasten germination

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I'd like to scarify Hatrack to see what grows.
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 13 is:

cryptic \KRIP-tik\ (adjective)
1 : secret, occult
2 a : having or seeming to have a hidden or ambiguous meaning
: mysterious
2 b : marked by an often perplexing brevity
3 : serving to conceal

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

To someone who is colorblind, all coloration is cryptic.
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 14 is:

lalapalooza \lah-luh-puh-LOO-zuh\ (noun)
: something superior or unusual
: an outstanding example

PascalScheffers
Member # 2681

- posted      Profile for PascalScheffers   Email PascalScheffers         Edit/Delete Post 
A lalapalooza of Monty Pythonism is, without doubt, the Fish Slapping Dance.

here and here.

Posts: 58 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

September 11th was the lalapalooza of terrorist acts.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 15 is:

anent \uh-NENT\ (preposition)
: about, concerning

Red Shirt
Member # 2702

- posted      Profile for Red Shirt   Email Red Shirt         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just anent to make a comment anent this thread when--ARRRGGGGGHGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

*Red Shirt is eaten by hideous alien creature*

<blood splatters everywhere>

[This message has been edited by Red Shirt (edited November 15, 2001).]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
But you guys... I _DID_ win this game alread.

:: pouts::

I just don't want this thing to go on for eternity...

Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

It won't. I'll probably die eventually and that will end it.
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 16 is:

beleaguer \bih-LEE-gur\ (verb)
1 : to surround with an army so as to prevent escape
: besiege, beset
2 : to hem in
: bottle up
3 : to subject to oppressive or grievous forces
: harass

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

John Keats should not beleaguer his point anant winning this thread.
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 17 is:
quiddity \KWIH-duh-tee\ (noun)
1 : whatever makes something the type that it is; essence
2 a : a trifling point, quibble
b : crotchet, eccentricity

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 18 is:

rankle \RANK-ul\ (verb)
1 : to cause anger, irritation, or deep bitterness in
2 : to feel anger and irritation

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 19 is:

etymology \eh-tuh-MAH-luh-jee\ (noun)
1 : the history of a linguistic form (as a word) shown by tracing its development and relationships
2 : a branch of linguistics dealing with etymologies

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The quiddity of asking for the etymology of words on this thread rankles.

nik
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for nik           Edit/Delete Post 
the word nik has quite an etymology because i think this was the first forum i posted on here at hatrack! haha! not that it was that long ago..
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.