FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dobie Thread Thread (Page 0)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Dobie Thread Thread
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave] Jev [The Wave]
I am giving you the most offensive feedback I can think of.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
That's definitely near the mark. However, the most offensive feedback is often no feedback at all.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Original: Look at my webpage please!

Dobie: Look at my wedgie please!

[ January 24, 2004, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: lcarus ]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Original:Pay for College Education, Parental duty?

Dobie: Pray for College Education, Parental Duty?

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Fun with Entymology:

A little while ago, I realized that I use the phase "roly poly" to refer to isopods, and since then I was curious I looked up pill bug.

quote:
NOUN:
Also called wood louse. also called regionally Regional doodlebug. 1. A small terrestrial isopod crustacean of the genus Armadillidium closely related to the sow bug and having a convex, segmented, flexible body enabling it to curl into a ball when disturbed. In this sense also called roly-poly. 2. A sow bug. In both senses also called slater.

USAGE NOTE:
Many people, especially science teachers, like to make a distinction between pill bugs and sow bugs. According to this usage, a pill bug, or roly-poly, is a terrestrial isopod crustacean whose segmented body gives it the ability to curl up into a ball when disturbed. A sow bug is any of several similar looking creatures that lack this ability. In popular usage, however, the names pill bug and sow bug, along with a number of other popular names, are used to refer to any of these tiny segmented crustaceans that are often mistaken for insects.

Anyone else have fun entymology stuff to share?
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Good one.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Is this really appropriate for a school paper? - Warning, this has a dolt theme

Original:
Is this really appropriate for a school paper? - Warning, this has an adult theme

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Good DOG, OSC...
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Original: Ender Burning???

Dobie: Eden Burning???

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Original: Cool link

Cool ink
Coo link
Kuhl, Inc.
Cruel link
Cool Link

I just couldn't decide.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Should kids & teens have sex ed.?

Should kids & teens have sex, Ed?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Original: You know how some people just really need an ass kicking?

You know how some people just really need an ass kissing?

ass: [Kiss]

[ March 15, 2004, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Biology is homosexual (for this guy, I guess)

Orig: Homosexuality is biological

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Maybe people could keep it to a single thread again....
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
*remembers fondly his newbie days of dobie-making*

*knows those days are at an end*

The rate they're going today, they will likely dobie this thread!

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
You damn right!
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

This thread was dobied many times when it was first made. A Dobie of a thread that is almost two years old will not be funny. Ever.

And yet it happens....

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe people could keep it to a single thread again....
Papa Moose,

Already attempted something of the sort in the English Boffins thread.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
*hangs head in shame*

Shameful...very shameful, but oh so fun.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Tammy,

Don't let the criticism get you down.

Who really knows what they'll do when confronted with this dilemma:

"Dobie or not dobie?"

This is the stuff that classics are made of.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I wanted to add Kingdom of Loafing.
But I'm too lazy to find a link.

At this rate, we can expect "Bling"dom of Loathing.

Edit: Usually I wouldn't correct such a small typo, but with Dobies it has to be clear what the pun is supposed to be.

[ June 22, 2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah ha! A classic!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't let the criticism get you down.

Oh I'm not.

Everyone has to do it... at least once.

*still giggling*

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I want to dobie that Hobbes thread but I can't think of anything. Well, nothing that doesn't involve "booty". And I think I've used up my demerits for the month.
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought of this dobie and found the link but I just couldn't post it on the board by itself. Discretion would dictate not posting it at all but I am juvenile enough to ignore that decent thought.

Potentially offensive link. Nudity involved, do not open if easily squicked.

My fat is reproducing in the downstairs bathroom...

[ July 10, 2004, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Ewwww

definitely not "artistic nudity" [Eek!]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Bumped for newcomers
rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Pooka.

I must be really dense but the last time this came up it took me a full day to figure the "Dobie" out. This time when "move" and "movie" ended up in two threads in the main topic window I remarked "Hey! That should have been in the Dobie thread."

*Pats self on back"

So I'm slow, but can be taught. [Smile]

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I can't remember how long it took me to figure out what a dobie was. It was definitely after I had already made one, thinking myself so clever [Blushing] I wasn't the worst n00b ever, but sometimes I think I should just come up with a new screen name and a blank slate.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't remember how long it took me to figure out what a dobie was. It was definitely after I had already made one, thinking myself so clever.
The same thing happened to me.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Bump.>
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The same thing happened to me.
Genius.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

He is/was a master, isn't/wasn't he....
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Genius.
No comment. [Taunt]
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump* for the people clogging up the first page.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
"If you ignore the bullets, they'll stop bothering you."

quote:
Morpheus : I've seen an agent punch through a concrete wall. Men have

emptied entire clips at them, and hit nothing but air. Yet

_their_ strength and _their_ speed, are still based on a

world built on rules. Because of that, they will never be

as strong, or as fast, as you can be.

Neo : What are you trying to tell me? That I can...dodge bullets?

Morpheus : No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you, that when _you're_ ready...

_you_ won't have to...

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I momentarily considered creating a dobie for the "Semi-Nude Gardening" thread entitled "Semi-Nude Gathering." It would have suggested going swimming somewhere in Wisconsin during the late spring/early summer (possibly in a quarry or something), but better sense prevailed and I decided against it.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of better sense prevailing, I'm not going to post the dobie I thought of for Bone fixing foods?

But, here's the link I would have used . . .

[Too bad, really. I think it might have been my Best Dobie Ever. *wist*]

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Another idea:

"The internet makes you stupid" to "The intent makes you stupid." It's subtle and would have been great if I had dobied it early on. If I had actually gone through it, I would have made it a true dobie and had it a parody of the original thread (with a funny link of course). I might even do it if the initial post weren't so long on the original thread. It would take me faaaar too long to dobie that sucker.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Eve Online

[ April 14, 2005, 02:24 AM: Message edited by: Shigosei ]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
So*, I Ordered a New Brian
Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Why Gary Brolsma will win American Idol.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Tomatoes with bad acidity
Lady Eruve
Member # 6883

- posted      Profile for Lady Eruve   Email Lady Eruve         Edit/Delete Post 
Musical Question about Rolling Stones

How can they sing when thier tongues are hanging out?

(Dobie of Medical Question about Kidney Stones.)

Posts: 55 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. That's pretty clever!

-o-

'Intelligent' design trial concludes

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Arslan by Coach Z

Original: Arslan by M.J. Engh

Plus just a bump for the heck of it. Reasonably good explanation for newer members.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I never knew about this thread!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
minors' identical cumberbunds

i just couldn't get it out of my head....

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Introducing... Cheese for Girls!

Just 'cause it's what I keep seeing when I look at the Chess thread. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.