FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Weight-Loss Encouragement Thread (Page 10)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: The Weight-Loss Encouragement Thread
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of bridesmaid's dresses, which of these should I be choosing for my frame?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Elizabeth, I can't run either (it causes me to have an asthma attack), but I find I can use an elliptical machine fairly easily to the same effect."

Megan, I will be able to run again, I just can't yet. I love to run while playing games: soccer, tennis, etc. I just hate running for exercise, even though it is by far the most effective way for me to get in shape.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
mack: Top 8211 and skirt 8552. It will show off your lovely arms and shoulders, and the tea-length floaty skirt will make you look more hourglassy. Plus the simple cut outs at the neckline will go well with your haircut. [Smile] Flattering but not too girly.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks ElJay [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a lovely outfit. Not having seen you in person, mack, I don't really know, but it sounds like Eljay knows what she's talking about.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Welcome. [Smile] Do, of course, go to the store and try them one. [Wink] But I think those should do pretty well for you.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I like top 8087 (with the cowl neck).

But your choice is good too, ElJay.

[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

See, I would totally get the cowl neck if I was shopping for me. I'm girly. But that one with the floaty skirt would be too frippery for mack. I don't think she'd be comfortable in it, for one, and I think the other would go better with her body type. [Smile]

It'll show your collarbones, mack. Collarbones are dead sexy, yet still elegant.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Day two complete and successful! I love this new W.W. program. Has anyone done South Beach? This seems like the end of the Sputh Beach Diet to me. I asked the meeting woman, and of course her lips said, "Oh, really? I don't know about any of those diet," but her eyes said , "Yes, it does."

"Free" foods: All whole grains. Potatoes, brown rice, ww pasta limited to one meal a day.

All vegetables, all fruit.

All fat free milk and milk products.

Eggs(which is great, and brings popovers into the picture)

All lean meats.(ground beef or turkey must be 93% and limited to one meal a day)

Bread "costs," but I can live with that. A slice of whole grain, fiberous goodness is only a point or two.

35 points to "spend" per week on wine, I mean, um, healthy bread and stuff.

Now, this I can so.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
My biggest issue with the core plan was the "eat until you're not hungry" thing. My problem is, I can't stop myself (yet), even when I'm not hungry! So, I stick to my points, check them off every day, and it's basically been working (except when I have unfortunate incidents).

In other news, though, 2 days in a row of 60 minutes on the elliptical! I'm kicking my own butt here; I hope it shows up when I weigh in on Saturday.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Don't be surprised or discourage if it doesn't show up for a while, Megan. It will.

The Core plan is perfect for me because it is the way I want to eat, with whole grains and lean or no meat. And I like that you can switch back and forth from week to week if you want to.

Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
2 days in a row of 60 minutes on the elliptical
Dang! You go girl! I have only ever done 30 on the elliptical. (partially because that is all the Y will allow, but still)

Yesturday I did to rowing machine pretty intensely for 6 min and did the elliptical for 17. I was at the Y and the guy before me ate into the only time slot I could get which was 20min.

Today I am doing laps. I always feel a little uncomfortable swimming at the Y, but it is better then not excercising. I was good today. My teacher in my Euro class brought in tons of cookies. Even though I was very hungry I just had one are really savored it. I know it would have been better to have left them alone, but i figure 1 is better then 5.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

[Smile] Thanks! It's going to have to make up for the next two days, in which I will have no time at all to work out. Allegra, I work out at the Sportsplex over on the west side. It does cost some money, but it's a very nice place, and as long as there's no one waiting, you can go for as long as you like on any machine.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I bought French Women don't Get Fat the other day.

I recommend it heartily. It's aimed at people with anything up to about 30-40 pounds to lose, which is great for me.

It's basically just about healthy eating - focussing on taste and variety. With a glass of champagne or wine daily. Sounds good to me. [Smile]

Smaller portions of tastier food - the other night we had a little bit of gazpacho each (fresh and good) followed by chicken in champagne (the recipe from the book) and fresh sauted spinach. So nice and so suprisingly healthy.

Of course, we'll see if I actually lose weight... [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
31 lbs and counting!!!
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Imogen,
I have heard of this book. Before hearing about it, though, I knew that many Europeans who eat a diet which Atkins or Weight Watchers would shudder hearing about, do not have a weight problem.

My theory(based on nothing concrete, really) is that people in countries which are not McDonaldsfied tend to make food. If they are hungry, they make a sandwich. They do not take it out of the freezer and microwave it. If they want macaroni and cheese, they make a cheese sauce, boil macaroni, and bake it. They do not have "Kraft Dinner."

I have also heard that this is changing, that our lovely tendency to be overweight is spreading, so to speak, to other countries.

The thing that burns my biscuits is: why can't I really and truly be happy with a life sustaining amount of food? Why do I overeat, knowing that many people in the world would love to have overeating as a problem, since they are starving?

imogen
Member # 5485

I think you're completely right Elizabeth.

With me, I do cook almost everything from scratch. Puff pastry and filo pastry are pretty much the only exceptions.

What this book made me remember is
1. If you buy fruit and vegies in season (and spend a bit more for the really nice stuff) you won't need to dress them up with sauces etc. They taste sensational just as they are, or very simply cooked.

2. Lots of little portions of different tastes is better for you, and more fulfilling, then one big plate of one taste.

As for the 'why' issue - I think that may be something more emotional (not to go all Dr Phil on you). Seriously, people who overeat often benefit from counselling / other help.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You are probably right, Imogen. it is an emotional thing. In that case, 80 percent of our ovre 25 population needs therapy!

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/03/05/obesity.poll/

"Poll results show that 80 percent of people older than 25 are overweight based on the body mass index (BMI), a national guideline computed through a combination of weight and height. That figure has risen from 71 percent in 1995, 64 percent in 1990 and 58 percent in 1983."

Wow.

You know, being an oppositional type of personality, I should use these stats to my advantage. When I get to a healthy weight, I will be a rebel!
(OK, back to the psychological drawing board with me)

Edit: I am finding a different percentage on every website, but still, it is way too high. Yikes.

[ March 03, 2005, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
How do you figure BMI ? Is this a weight-height dependant figure, or something else ?
EDIT : sorry, just figured out that I already knew mine (it has a different name in French). Mine is between 22 and 23, I still think it is too much, even if it's not officially overweight.

[ March 03, 2005, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes, it is a height-weight-age thing. I will see if I can find a chart.

Here, Anna:

http://www.consumer.gov/weightloss/bmi.htm

Edit: OK, now I will see if I can find one in metric. Here is one:

http://kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitness/dieting/bmi.html

[ March 03, 2005, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you !
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Eating does have an emotional context to it - we feel "good" when we eat, never mind the secondary effects from the food itself. Whether this is feeling comes from learned responses ("Oooh, General Tso's...I love this stuff!") to a direct chemical interaction ("Ooooh, chocolate...I love this stuff!"), the stimulation is present.

We even have a term for this - "comfort food."

When you step into eating for comfort, it's almost like self-medicating...we begin to perform actions designed to influence our moods or feelings. And eating is a means of a quick-fix that is...well...quick and easy to obtain.

Additionally, the more we eat, the larger our capacity to intake food before we feel "full" - in some respects, it's like developing a tolerance to a drug. We have to take more and more of the drug before our bodies will acknowledge the impact.

Mind you, this is on the extreme end of the scale, but moderate the examples and I think it applies equally well to most of us.

Glad to see you're feeling better Liz.

-Trevor

P.S. Good job Megan!

Edit 2: NFL versus BMI

There were several articles regarding the BMI test on the NFL - this was the only one I could find in the two minutes I had to look.

[ March 03, 2005, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Thanks, Trevor...Good to see you! *hugs* [Smile]
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hey! T! Glad you're around. [Smile]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Hi Trevor!

I was sitting next to a man at a WW meeting who just crumpled when he saw his BMI and where it "should" be. He is a very big man, and he said he would have to lose about 100 pounds, and he would be 200 years old when he did.

The NFL makes a good point. Bodies come in so many shapes and sizes. I tend to hold weight from head to toe, some people have pockets. (rear, belly, legs)

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I third (fourth?) the "Hey, Trevor, good to see you back!" sentiment. [Smile]

I find that I can lose a bit of weight when I focus on not eating past satisfaction. One thing I have had to fight is the intense feeling of, "Don't waste food!" That every last morsal is precious and must be eaten rather than thrown out.

Also, I find that I don't feel "finished" until I've had something I consider a "treat" at the end of a lunch or dinner. That is a more difficult thing for me to overcome.

[ March 03, 2005, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Beverly,
I have been trying really hard to avoid leftovers by making just enough for one meal. If it is soup or something, I try to freeze the extra. But I have the same hating-to-throw-it-away feeling. I have been, though, because it either goes bad in the fridge, or I eat it just so it won't.

mackillian
Member # 586

Atheletes are often told not to pay attention to BMI but body fat percentage instead. Many athletes would be considered overweight using BMI.
beverly
Member # 6246

Yup. For me, throwing away food just kills me. My husband is trying to break me of this "bad habit".
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

The only leftovers my husband will eat are: steak, meatballs, and lasagna. Drives me nuts, as I grew up in a house where the men were skinny fridge vacuums.
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
So according to the BMI thing, I am obese. Huh. I have never been able to figure out where I keep it all because I'm not that wide.

[edit for clarification: I'm in the upper obese category. (What is the purpose of two different categories equaling obese?)]

[ March 03, 2005, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: fiazko ]

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, the Body Mass Index is rubbish.

It doesn't take into account bone density, frame size, or muscle mass. So I question any study that sights the BMI findings as proof we're all fatter than we used to be.

I think we are. I think there is a problem, but perhaps this "epidemic" is a bit exaggerated. After all, while we're all so busy worrying about dying, we're also living longer.

And I think we're eating unhealthy because we're so fixated on dieting. Good food is so forbidden that we're all the more obsessed with it.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

The one important thing to realize is, there isn't one universal standard for being healthy except, perhaps, being alive - sort of an "either you are or you aren't" scenario.

Can you be healthier than what you are? Sure. But given the amazing diversity in genetics and body types, take any "height vs weight vs etc" comparisons with a grain of salt (sorry) because this assumes we all, more or less, conform to the same parameters.

-Trevor

P.S. Thanks - since I'm still playing chauffer for WenchCon, I thought it best to put in an apperance or two.

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Ahhhh, Trevor and his Wenches!
TMedina
Member # 6649

Pffft.

More like the Wenches and the volunteered help. [Taunt]

-Trevor

Allegra
Member # 6773

I am also happy to see Trevor. [Wave]

quote:
In my opinion, the Body Mass Index is rubbish.

It doesn't take into account bone density, frame size, or muscle mass.

That is exactly what I think. I have a large frame and a decent amount of muscle. I think I should weigh about 20 lbs more then they say is the max. for me(according to bmi).

At least I am now at the top of the overweight category instead of getting close to the top of the 2nd obese category.

Edit:I used to be at the top of the 2nd obese category. I just realized that my comment sound really bad when it is OOC.
2nd Edit: I stuck my first edit in the middle of the post by mistake

[ March 03, 2005, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Allegra ]

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

[Wink]
TMedina
Member # 6649

Heya Alle. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

What was it Johnnie Depp said in Pirates of the Carribean?

"It's more like a guidleline."

The BMI is pretty generalized, but I still think that if you are way off, it is a warning sign.

No, we should not all be stick-thin, but there are so many health risks to being overweight.

My favorite diet is one I heard on NPR: The Amish Diet.
Basically, you eat meat and mashed potatoes, butter everything, and have either pie or cake for dessert.
And then, you walk and work your a** off.
They put pedometers on some agreeable Amish folk, and found that the steps they take daily, just living, pretty much take care of anything they eat.

"The study says Amish men walk an average of 18,425 steps daily, women an average of 14,196 steps compared to their modern neighbors who walk an average of 2,000 to 3,000 steps a day."
http://www.applesforhealth.com/HealthyEating/mdlsf5.html

[ March 03, 2005, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

Bah, that was not Depp - that was Captain Barbosa! [Big Grin]

But yes, makes a great point as always - don't take anything to an extreme, but use common sense in your approach to anything.

-Trevor

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You know, I knew I was going to get blown out of pirate waters for referring to a movie that so many have memorized. Ha ha. Sorry for me blasphemy!
Allegra
Member # 6773

Now this thread is reminding me of why wenchcon would be so cool. I would get to meet Trevor and hang out with Megan, and see all sorts of other cool people. I am not sure who else will be there but I am sure lots of other worthwhile people. I have been avoiding the threads like a plauge since I found out I couldn't go. I thought avoiding the other threads would keep me from jealousy. [Grumble]

Edit: I just had a thought. Megan, if we magically have memeberships to the same place would you want to be work-out buddies? We could encourage each other!

[ March 03, 2005, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Allegra ]

Megan
Member # 5290

Allegra, sure! If nothing else, when it gets warmer, we can walk in places like Bryant Park or something. I typically work out with another grad student, but it would be great if you could join us. [Smile]

I have to say, I really, really like the Sportsplex. I know you said you go to the Y; I've never actually been there before.

Oh, and as for hanging out, hey, just drop me an email! You live so close to where I always am; we could always do lunch or dinner or something. [Smile]

Allegra
Member # 6773

Cool! [Big Grin]
TMedina
Member # 6649

Oh no, now they're acting in...dare I say...concert? [Big Grin]

-Trevor

imogen
Member # 5485

BMI does work for some people though - like me.

[Smile]

I have a very small frame, and fairly low muscle mass - less than I should have, of course. [Embarrassed]

But because I am naturally small, the BMI guidelines work kinda well - at the moment I am teetering on the upper range of healthy / almost into overweight.

For me, I feel right (and my body looks right) more in the mid-low range of healthy. Which is right for some-one with a small frame.

Megan
Member # 5290

heh...in concert. [Razz]

Except I don't really play anymore! No time. [Frown]

TMedina
Member # 6649

Sorry, it wasn't a carefully orchestrated pun.

-Trevor

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, Trevor, it was pretty brassy of you to string us along like that. All the talking you've done would wind most people.
School4ever
Member # 5575

- posted      Profile for School4ever   Email School4ever         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that BMI is pretty silly for all people.

A couple of weeks ago I had my body fat measured using hydrostatic weighing. I then calculated my minimum and maximum body weights using a body fat percentage range of 18-25 percent. If I had 18% body fat, I would still weigh more than my maximum BMI weight. Some of us just have more lean muscle mass and bigger bones.

I actually also believe some people are meant to be thinner than BMI calls for, like most people in my husband's family. Almost all of them are built to be very thin.

Posts: 188 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.