FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Weight-Loss Encouragement Thread (Page 13)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: The Weight-Loss Encouragement Thread
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Badly this week.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Did not gain weight at BobnDanaFest, so that's good. However, did not lose weight either, unlike every other Hatrack get together. I'm blaming the cheesecake. And the Legacy chocolates. And Steve's yummy cooking/restaurant suggestions.

Also, did not excercise today, because I had insomnia last night and then woke up too late to do anything but run to work. Am at class tonight and won't get home until after ten. I guess I could work out then, but that doesn't sound like fun at all. Does just lifting a few weights count as working out? I think I could do that, I just don't want to jump around.

I've decided to try and channel my OCD into this. [Razz] I think I need to upgrade my gym membership.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Trevor!

I am a bit discouraged because I haven't lost any wieght for a while. I have notice a loss of fat and a gain in muscle, but it is still discouraging to not see the scale change.

Kat: I think that doing a little bit of whatever you can get yourself to do is always a good idea. 10min of walking is better then 10 min of couch potatoing.

Megan: Now that it is getting nice I think we should do the walk we have been talking about. Have you heard of rails to trails? I think we should walk the whole thing one afternoon and then eat something wonderful. I would even be willing to pack a picnic or something.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Pfft - don't make me take a hammer to your scale.

Ignore the numbers - instead, notice how your clothes fit.

Fixate on the scale and you'll lose the forest for the trees.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl- if you're still reading this, xnera's landmark included a walking marathon. I think it was in Scotland or something crazy like that.

I want to get back in to strength training. Isn't there some way I can do that and Hatrack? Like, I need a 3 lb. mouse or something.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

*snicker* Take a lesson from lonely geeks - type with one hand and do bicep curls with the other. [Big Grin]

Bicep curls, hammer curls, reverse preachers, side shoulder raises, overhead presses and possibly tricep kickbacks.

So yes, it's possible. [Wink]

You might also consider "active sitting" by using a balance ball while you surf.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

How is everyone doing?

It has happened to me. I am "in the zone." Why it happens, I will never know. Three is no way I can prepare myself for it, it just happens. I have started and restarted Weight Watcher's a bunch of times this year, convncing myself that wine should be free, that whole wheat bread is a Core Food, and various other self-sabotaging things.

Now, I am in. I want to feel this way. I want to get my athletic body of old back. It was not so long ago, really, ten years.

I have been going to Curves and walking, but I was doing that a few weeks ago, too. Now, I am in. It is so weird. I wish there was a pill I could take to get this. it is nopt like pills they have out there, with speed or whatever in them. Nope, this is the "I want this, I like this, and I am going to do this" feeling I haven;t had for so long.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
*sneaks in to thread with much shame*

crappy. [Frown] I've basically given up until this semester is over.

I'm planning on rebooting the program once the semester is over, though. I think I'm going to do the online program, though, since the weekly meeting here were driving me INSANE.

Ok.

*sneaks out of thread again*

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Megan,
Good idea to just wait until you are done. Students need more comfort food than points allow.

As for the online, I would just getthe ETools number from your meeting, and sign up. Then, just drop out of the meetings and keep track with eTools. It is so much fun. (I like gimmicks, they help me.) You just need to find a reliable scale, and promise to only weigh in once a week.

docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm down another pound, bring the total to 26 since the start of the year. I'm currently 236, with 16 more pounds to hit my mid-year goal, and another 20 pounds more to hit my end-of-year goal.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Elizabeth, that would mean going back and weighing in again...scary! (and I'd have to rejoin, too, since it's been appr. 2 months since I've been to a meeting). I am going to go out and get a quality scale, though.

I may go to a meeting that wasn't my usual one, bite the bullet and weigh in, get the e-tools number, and then take off.

*ponders*

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

docmajik, awesome!!!

Megan, that would work, and be cheaper, unless you have to pay a registration fee. It is ten bucks a month for ETools.

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm down 28 pounds (as of yesterday's weigh-in) since January. That appears to be right around my "I'm ready to post the information now" loss amount, since when I posted back on page 2 I was down 27. I started 4 pounds heavier this time, though, so I'm actually up.

I've also gone from benching 80 pounds and being in great pain for days (and peeing brown -- and, granted, I did more than just the bench press) to benching 235 (only one rep, mind you) and being in only mild pain for a few minutes. And my pee is just fine. Er, normal, anyway. This (the weight lifting, not the pee) indicates that of those pounds that I still have, likely more is muscle and less is fat, so overall I'm probably in much better shape this time than last.

I could still lose another 10-15 pounds, though. That would be ok.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I am in the orchestra pit for a musical and I have rehearsals every night this week. I also have an orchestra competition on Friday. I have been eating way too much, but I worked out sunday, tuesday, and will again today. Maybe I won't gain that much weight from this stress eating.

Megan: There is a 5k walk/run 3 weeks from Saturday. I would be willing to walk or run. Do you want to join me? The money goes for the school to help kids with learning disabilities.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

11.5, 11.5!!! I am down 11.5!!

I am still in the zone. Don't know how I got here, but here I am.

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! (haha, and thats my birthday too!)
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Congrats Liz! [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump per request*
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Brown pee?!

*ick*

I bought a pedometer yesterday (I too like gadgets).

I walked 10 084 steps. My goal is around 10 000 every day.

I've decided I have to think about this as *getting fit* not *losing weight*. If I do it as weight loss, then I can self-justify - but I'm only a size eight! But everyone gains weight in their early twenties! But I was really skinny before! (Incidentally, all are pretty much bull.)

However, I am really unfit. And I know that. And it's much harded to pretend otherwise.

So hopefully that will be better motivation.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, so here is the thing with weight gain and loss for me:

I am totally on a roll, and for whatever reason, after ten years, I am ready to do this. I am in the zone.

I have avoided people for ten years, knowing they would think(or, if they were my grandmothers, say) that I was sooo fat. What had happened to the Liz they knew who was thin, and ran around playing soccer?

But if I lose all this weight, I will have to contnd with the people who know me as fat. And that, in a lot of ways, is much harder. Why??? Why am I worried about this? It should be a good thing, right, to be back to what I see myself as being(physically)? Even though the people who know me as Fat Liz love me as just being Liz, I am more afraid of what they will think of me as thin than I am of what people I knew long ago thinking of me as fat.

So what is up with that?

TMedina
Member # 6649

Fear of the unknown.

You know how people think of you as the "Fat" Liz - you're not sure what people will think of you as "Thin" Liz.

That uncertainty is what gives you pause because you're afraid they won't like the "new, thin Liz" as much as the earlier model.

It's not completely irrational - people tend to feel the same way when contemplating drastic changes to clothes or hair and I am told, cosmetic surgery.

-Trevor

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What had happened to the Liz they knew who was thin, and ran around playing soccer?
I get the same EXACT thing from my relatives [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
It's finals time. I pay no attention to how I look or what I eat. Seriously. I'm walking around in week old clothes, unshaven, uncombed, with a busted lip and no contacts. I've been eating week old cake because there's nothing left to eat and the entire apartment has lost the willpower to keep living with dignity. Trash is everywhere.

The center cannot hold.

So, basically, my fruit-and-vegetable rich diet is not working out so well.

Summer, as usual, is my thin ray of hope.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
So I didn't walk 10 000 steps. But I did do half an hour of strength training with free weights (2 kg. I am embarrasingly weak).

So that's good. And tomorrow, I walk. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

quote:
Originally posted by imogen:
So I didn't walk 10 000 steps. But I did do half an hour of strength training with free weights (2 kg. I am embarrasingly weak).

So that's good. And tomorrow, I walk. [Smile]

You are not "embarassingly weak."

The scale is, say it with me, subjective and relative.

Unless you want biceps the size of someone's head, in which case - yes, you are weak. [Taunt]

-Trevor

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

quote:
Originally posted by TMedina:
Fear of the unknown.

You know how people think of you as the "Fat" Liz - you're not sure what people will think of you as "Thin" Liz.

That uncertainty is what gives you pause because you're afraid they won't like the "new, thin Liz" as much as the earlier model

-Trevor

Well, I am not really concerned that they won't like me, just that they won't believe I am really thin, but see me as a fat person pretending to be thin. Or something. I don't know, it is very weird, this self image business.
margarita
Member # 6856

- posted      Profile for margarita   Email margarita         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth -

I had a similar sort of thing when I lost 40 lbs a couple years ago. I'd been Fat Me for a long time - actually, I hadn't been in shape or thin since I was a child.

I don't really know whether people think of me as pretending to be thin now (and I'm not SKINNY - I'm fit and plenty curvy still). Then again, I've maintained my weight for a couple of years, so they're starting to get used to Thin Me.

And even if they do think I'm pretending to be thin...well, I don't really care. When I was fat, I always felt like I was pretending to be something I wasn't - like I was really fit and thin inside, but somehow I'd got stuffed into the wrong body. Being healthy and exercising and eating good food and looking nice all feel Right to me, so it doesn't really matter if other people have problems with it. Their 'problems' probably don't have all that much to do with me, but with themselves.

It might be a little weird while you're losing the weight, but your self-image will probably change along the way. You'll get where you want to be, in both respects. [Smile]

Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Thanks.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Eighteen pounds down today!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

WOOOOT!

Good job Lizzie!

-Trevor

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Thanks. It totally surprised me, because I have not been really following WW. I have just been working my a** off in the house and garden. Ye olde Amish diet.
TMedina
Member # 6649

*grins* That is the secret to life - hard work and enjoying life. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

That sounds like my grandmother. My dad retired from teaching a few weeks ago after 45 years. She aske: "What does he want to do that for? What will he do now?"

Farmers never retire, I suppose. They just die. That is pretty much when they stop working.

Allegra
Member # 6773

During the last few weeks of the school year I went from exercising 5 times a week and eating really well, to not doing any of that. I am about 6 pounds heavier then I was before. I do not feel like I need to lose more then those 6 pounds, but I do feel kind of yucky right now. Now that things have finally calmed down I started getting back into excercise and reasonable eating today. I am going to try to make it stick.
TMedina
Member # 6649

S'why I suggested hitting the local PhysEd building and checking out their class selection.

Find something fun and you'll stick with it - and it's a great way to socialize.

-Trevor

Allegra
Member # 6773

Yeah, I am planning on taking a class when I get there. That way I will only have to go a couple of times a week on my own. The only thing I don't like about college rec. centers is that they always seem to be meat markets. Maybe Valdosta will be different but somehow I am doubting it.
TMedina
Member # 6649

College function + students = meat market.

That's just the way of the world. More than three single people in any one place? Meat market.

Granted, some places are worse than others, but avoid the "peak preening" hours and you should be fine.

-Trevor

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Hey, Trevor, you would make a really good diet/exercise coach.
TMedina
Member # 6649

*snicker* Take a look at some of my photos from the WenchCon thread.

It's easy to talk the walk, but not so much to walk the talk.

But thank you for the compliment. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, then.
Online coach. Ha ha.

Still, a good carpenter whose own porch is falling down is still a good carpenter, right?

Allegra
Member # 6773

I have started excercising with friends and I think it really helps. I have worked out longer then I usually do and I have done all of the stretching and warming up that I am supposed to do but never do.

Maybe I can find a work out buddy in my aerobics class next year.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Still, a good carpenter whose own porch is falling down is still a good carpenter, right?

Yes, but who's gonna hire him?

Since I started working over a year ago, I have pretty much abandoned my old "weights 4 days a week, cardio of some sort 5 days a week" program in favor of my new "weights maybe 1 day a week and basketball maybe 2-3 times a week" program.

The secret, as many of you know, and I rediscovered, is that diet is more important than exercise. I cut my portions way down, eliminated unhealthy snacking (although this is the area I'm most likely to backslide in), and when I cook, it's mostly fat-free stuff. I try to go about 50/50 carbs/protein and avoid saturated fat and sugar wherever possible. It seems to be working.

I never weigh myself anymore (I go purely by what I look like in the mirror) and I thought I was maintaining pretty well, maybe toning a little. But I've heard repeatedly, from a lot of different people, how skinny I look. I ignored them (after you lose 40 pounds, you get that for years), but then I went to a buddy's wedding a few weeks ago and my suit was loose. Not just loose but loose in the collar. I figure if my neck got smaller in the last 6 months, I must be losing some weight.

So in closing, my current system seems to be working, and it's something I can sustain indefinitely.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

quote:
The secret, as many of you know, and I rediscovered, is that diet is more important than exercise.
I don't know if I would say diet is more important then excercise. I think if you do not do a lot of one you have to do more of the other to compensate. I would think only cutting back on portions and unhealthy foods a little and excercising a lot would work too. It is just easier to eat less and better then it is to excercise all of the time.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me, I've tried both extremes.

Eating unhealthy and working out like crazy, I never lost weight.

On the other hand, eating healthy and never working out, I lost weight.

I didn't say that diet is waaay more important, but it has been my experience that it is more important, maybe 60/40 (although for me it's probably closer to 65/35).

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Again, The Amish diet explains it all. you can eat what you want if you burn it off. The average Amish person was taking thousands more steps per day than most of us do who are not doing physical labor.

Most workouts in a gym do not burn as many calories as people think they do. One woman at Curves said she went so she could eat ice cream, and did not understand why she was still feeling chubby.

A Curves workout is 3 WeightWatchers points. A double dip cone is about 8 WW points. (It is easier for me to do WW pts than calories, but it turns out to be similar in the end)

Megan
Member # 5290

Ok...since this thread got bumped, I'll stick my nose in.

*starts singing "Back in the Saddle Again"*

I did deep water aerobics last night with a friend, and it was positively inspiring! I mean, it was exercise that was actually fun!

So, I'm gonna start watching what I eat carefully again. I'm studying for qualifying exams right now, so we'll see how long that lasts, but eh, at least I'll start trying.

And, CONGRATULATIONS on all the lost pounds to people who lost when I was...uh...avoiding this thread. [Big Grin]

TMedina
Member # 6649

As Liz so adeptly noted, just because you exercise like crazy is not complete license to go nuts with your diet.

Just one Big Mac meal takes an absurd amount of time to burn off. Are you putting in that much time at the gym? Probably not.

A reasonable diet and moderate exercise will do more for you than either extreme of great diet/no exercise or bad diet/too much exercise.

And you have to factor in the relative intensity of your workouts - going full steam seven days a week is nuts for anyone except, possibly, professional athletes and even then I have to wonder.

-Trevor

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I exercise for a minimum of a half hour per evening---behind a push lawn mower.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You know, Farmgir, yopu've got me thinking.

People are making money on the crazy-stupidest exercise programs. Tae Bo. Spinning(um, biking, anyone?) Not stupid, but, you know, making simple things complicated.

So, we could save small farmers and keep people fit at the same time. Develop the Farmer's Exercise Plan. Mucking stalls to build the back muscles. Hoist bales for the thighs and upper arms/back. Etc. Farms could charge people 300 bucks a year for the privelege of orking their butts off.

First, you would have to do an infomercial. Are you up for it?

Farmerobics.

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.