FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Weight-Loss Encouragement Thread (Page 16)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: The Weight-Loss Encouragement Thread
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Belle.
I do have an Excel spreadsheet somewhere, but it would not be encouraging right now! My problem is starting. And stopping! Starting to control my eating and stopping avoidance of exercise. Stopping drinking wine and pretending it is a Core food.

Going back to work will help.
Going back to Weight Watcher's, and really going, will help.
Getting myself organized in general will help.

It is that first step of the seemingly endless journey that is hardest. I feel like I am climbing up a slope of pebbles. I get just so far, and then I landslide back.

And water. For some reason, I have been avoiding drinking water.

But thank you. Sometimes I have to get to a slump at the bottom of the hill before I start the climb back up. I just wish I could break that pattern!

Also, I refuse to buy new clothes. If I have to stuff into my 16s, I will stuff in. I pledged never to go back. Stacey and Clinton from What Not to Wear would kick my a** for sure.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at 25 pounds lost!

*dances*

I've been working out at the gym at school, and actually lifting weights - not the little 3 lb dumbbells at home but the real weight training stuff - and man does it make a difference! I have muscle and I feel fitter and stronger and now the weight seems to be just falling off. When I first started I stayed the same, then actually gained a half a pound, but since then the weight has really been going down. I guess my body just needed to adjust to the new regimen.

I've actually cut my cardio down, due to time constraints, so I'm getting in a good weight training regimen every day (I alternate muscle groups so I don't overwork any) and then do cardio at the end of the weight training session. I make sure I'm still doing at least 30 minutes of cardio, though, and what type I do really depends on what machines are open. there is a large cardio room, with dozens of each type of machine but I prefer to work out in a smaller area that has all the weight machines in a circuit, and only a few cardio machines. There's two each ellipticals and treadmills, and one bike.

I like that area because it doesn't feel intimidating, it's smaller and usually only women are working out there as opposed to the big room with all the other machines. In fact I see the same women every day, and most of them are my age or even older so it feels more cozy and comfortable. We encourage each other and say hi every morning. [Smile]

I'm like the fitness evangelist lately, I tell everybody that mentions they are tired or don't have energy that working out regularly has literally changed my life. I really, really recommend a good fitness regimen for everyone. If you think you're too out of shape to start, trust me you are not as out of shape as I was! When I started it was nine months after my last chemo treatment, I had done nothing for months except lay around the house, I was very heavy and could not walk one flight of steps without getting out of breath. I started by walking only, and slowly built my way up to where I am now - lifting weights and doing cardio five times a week and losing weight like crazy and feeling better than I can remember feeling.

You CAN do it - believe me you can and it's worth it.

Okay, I'll calm down now. I'm just giddy because I was at my daughter's dance studio tonight and saw myself in a full length mirror, and for the first time in years wasn't ashamed at what I saw. That is an amazing feeling!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good work, Belle! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I just joined a gym.

I wish they had better music playing over the speakers. Olivia Newton-John's "Let's Get Physical"?

Oy.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the gym. I got out of the habit there for a bit, but I'm working back into the habit and I love it.

I woke up this morning and actually tried to stay in bed, but I physically felt the pull to go to the gym, and I knew I'd feel better that way. It's great to be in the groove again. Now to step it up.

So, I did some actual weight training for the first time in months and months. Lovely. [Smile] I'm hoping to get my posture straightened up again. Not that's it's bad - just a little bit. Turns out the best way to improve your posture is to strengthen your back muscles.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm discouraged. I'm not losing weight. And the holidays are coming up. (and class reunion this weekend).

I have been doing a two-mile walk every night. And am part of a team at work on an exercise challenge. And have signed up for a turbo-kick exercise class.

But I love to eat. Really really love to eat. Food is yummy.

I'm not making any progress.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.