FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Weight-Loss Encouragement Thread (Page 5)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: The Weight-Loss Encouragement Thread
Lead
Member # 918

- posted      Profile for Lead   Email Lead         Edit/Delete Post 
Theca, I'm about 5'7, give or take (I get noticably shorter at the end of the day, when my back is starting to really bother me...hehe).

Icarus, sweets have never been my weakness. I hardly ever crave something sweet, and when I do, I have always pretty much just let myself have what I want. I crave something chocolate about once a month. (Anyone here surprised at all by that? *laugh*) It's generally something hard to locate, and extremely rich, creamy, and fairly expensive. Very high-end chocolate is generally involved. Any old cookie will never do, I don't like most pies (can't stand cooked fruit usually), will turn my nose up at all but the very best of cakes, and don't even like icecream most of the time. No, sweets hasn't ever been the issue. It's _ALWAYS_ been, for me, the potatoes. Crunchy, salted, fried potatoes. I would take a big plate of fried potato skins smothered in cheese and sour cream over cake ANY day. In fact, giving up potatoes really close to entirely for over 6 months was THE hardest part of all this.

But I really didn't give them up entirely. I made sure I had carbs every day, but they were nearly all whole grains. To be honest, I think NOT watching fat levels too closely, but rather fat sources, helped me nearly as much as anything. With the smaller portions I now eat, and keeping myself not used to eating too much at a time, a little bit of fat of some sort in my meal just satisfies me more. I don't _like_ low- and non-fat foods. So a little bit of butter on something (real butter, not margerine), or a little bit of good olive oil in a vinegrette dressing, make me quite happy. If I'm not enjoying what I'm eating, I won't be sticking to the program. I just have to be very careful how MUCH of it I eat.

To everyone else, keep up the hard work! See, it CAN pay off!

Oh, and pooka, "lead", as used here, is a synonym for "leash". Or, as I once said in a moment of confused brilliance to another online friend who asked how it was pronounced, "it rhymes with "read." *laugh*

~~~Lead

Posts: 247 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
So how do I get from a 10 to an 8?

Am frustrated. I've hit a plateau in the last few months and despite the exerise and eating habits, my size has remained the same. [Mad]
[Wall Bash]

My TONE has improved greatly.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
mac, that's where I'm at. I'm only trying to lose 10lbs, to get from a 8/10, back to a 4/6. So I started a low sugar, high lean protein, high fiber diet and began working out with a combo of cardio and strength training. It's been two months.

I've only lost 3lbs, and that was just within the past week. But I've lost 4% body fat and gained lean mass, which is good. My husband likes. [Smile] But it hasn't come off my waist, which is what is keeping me out of the 4/6's. I *really* want to lose the baby belly. I am hoping that another month or so will do it.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I am responding to a diet thread. Ugh. Not that I amn't happy for you all, I am, and proud, but it's just not my thing.

However!

I had to respond to let Leadie know how awesomely happy and shiny and fit she looks. Yay Leadie! You are definitely not fat (no matter what your silly half-a-brain tells you), you are lean and willowy!

Congratulations to everyone who is getting healthier and more toned (and yes, losing weight). I am proud of you.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, after years of denying my slow and steady weight gain, it finally became too much to ignore. I'm fat!

So a month ago I sucked it up and joined Weight Watchers, something I swore I'd never do thanks to my mom's perpetual yo-yo dieting as a kid. But I need the structure and community support, and I need someone checking up on me each week. So here I am.

I've been on it for a month, and I lost 7.5 pounds in my first three weeks! My fourth week ends tomorrow, and I've been really good this week, so I'm hoping to hit 10... we'll see. I still can't see/feel any changes, but hey. It's happening. And it's not hard! I'm still eating all the crap I love, just in more reasonable portions. This is something I can do for the rest of my life, easily.

mack, whenever one of the people in my group hit a plateau, it almost always means that they've gotten stuck in a routine. Eating the same foods every day, the same number of calories a day, etc. In almost every single case, eating MORE for a week breaks them out of it. So maybe try eating half again as much as you normally would this week? And water, water water... it's been beaten into my head, and I'm finally starting to see it. If I don't drink a ton of water one week, I see nothing. If I do, bam! :-)

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you, Ayelar! (Though I'm certain you're not fat.

[Big Grin]

Regarding yo-yo dieting. I have come to believe that diferent people have different methods of losing weight that truly work for them, after seeing OSC and Oprah espouse approaches that haven't worked for me, and after hearing nutritionists dismiss methods that have. Also, after noting the violent disagreement between the trendy Atkins diet and the food pyramid. The struggle, I think, is in finding the method that works for you: that is effective and that you can stick with forever. So when a diet doesn't work, or when lost weight is regained, what I think people need to do is not give up, but try a different approach. The dangerous thing, though, is that there are millions of approaches now, since the invention of diet books and diet programs [Wink] , and some of these might even be dangerous. And so I think that when one starts a new diet, the primary thought in one's mind can't be desperation, because people will do anything out of desperation. Rather, I think a person should only start a diet that makes sense to him or her on an intellectual level.

Some years ago, I found something that worked for me. I lost a lot of weight, and I kept it off for years. When my life changed, I slipped into bad patterns and regained my lost weight, but I remain convinced that this method of losing weight works for me, and so far, it has. And that's what makes it right for me. I hope weight-watchers is that for you, and I hope Atkins does it for whomever is on Atkins right now, and Pilates for whomever is on Pilates, and other exercise programs for whomever is working out right now . . . . .

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Atkins has worked for me, though my weight loss has slowed down lately [Frown] . When I started I was surprised to discover how much sugar I actually ate. I've gotten used to it now, and I don't miss it as much. I do miss pasta pretty badly though(awful for us Italians [Frown] ).
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

As I was surprised (even though I had intellectually already known it) when I was faced with just how many calories I had been ingesting on a daily basis. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Lead, you do look great. And I wouldn't recommend you lose any more weight, or not much, anyway. You are right where you ought to be.

A rough way to estimate what a woman should weight is to take 100 lb then add 5 lb for every inch over 5' tall. So, a 5'7" woman should be...135 lb.

Another way to tell is to check the BMI, body mass index, and if you weigh 130 lb, your BMI is 20. Normal BMI is 18.5-25.

Either way, your weight is perfect.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ayelar,
Since you are doing so well, do you mind sending me any extra Flex Ponts you have left at the end of the week?

I have been doing Weight Watchers for years. I lost a lot of weight right before I had my first babe, then never was really successful after that, though I do still stand by Weight Watchers as the most sensible plan. It's not WW, it's me. I feel that way about any diet. It is the sticking to it that is the hard part.

I like WW, because I like all the accoutrements. I LOVE the new checkbook system, though, like my own real world checkbook, I am constanstly overdrawn.

LEad, a friend of mine just lost fifty pounds. Like you, she has always been heavy, and it is like a new body for her. I am so thrilled she did it, and she feels so great. For me, I still think of myself as being fat at 145-ha!! What I would do to even get within thirty pounds of that!!

I keep looking at old pics, like after I had Alyssa, and I think, wow, I was actually lookin' pretty good! even though I felt I looked beastly at the time.

Argh! I am going to do this, I am!!

Am I?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aye-Ayelar
Member # 5701

- posted      Profile for Aye-Ayelar           Edit/Delete Post 
Lol, Elizabeth! I'm afraid you can't have any from this weekend... We went out to dinner and then drinks, and I used... bum bum buuuum... 72 points on Friday! [Eek!] That was the first time I'd used any Flexpoints at all in four weeks, though, and I'm back on track now, so I'm ok.

I found out on Saturday that I've lost a total of 10.5 pounds my first month! I know I won't continue at this pace, but wow... This is the first time I've ever actually lost weight. [Smile]

Congratulations, everyone! I can't wait to be in your skinny new shoes. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lead
Member # 918

- posted      Profile for Lead   Email Lead         Edit/Delete Post 
Theca, thanks! Now if I could just figure out how to stop gaining 10 lbs in water weight every month. [Wink]

~~~Lead

Posts: 247 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I lost four more pounds last week! Yay!

And I only cheated a little bit - sometimes a woman just needs a little chocolate. For me, it was a handful of chocolate chips. I felt tons better after that. [Wink]

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Vana! [Big Grin]

I ruined my diet. It's dead. Goldfish are the death of any diet, you just can't stop eating 'em! Same for candy corn, mint chocolate chip ice-cream....yeah, I REALLY killed my diet yesterday. [Grumble] I was hoping to make it 'till thanksgiving/christmas. [Wall Bash] Oh well. Maybe I can get my diet going again....

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

OSC makes a good point regarding dieting (or exercising, or writing). If you see it as a temporary state, then when you blew it, you blew it, and you don't bother to get on it again, or you plan on trying again in X amount of time.

If, on the other hand, you decide that from now on, you simply ARE a person who eats less, or you ARE a person who works out, or you ARE a person who writes every night, or you ARE a person who spends time with your family, then the times you don't do it aren't an end to your streak, they are simply exceptions. I am a person who watches football games, right? If I can't watch any this weekend because I have to travel (ha! That's what VCRs are for!), I don't stop being a person who watches football games, I am simply a person who watches football games who didn't on this one particular weekend.

I am (now) a person who enjoys a wide variety of foods in reasonable quantities. If today happens to be an exception and I gorge myself, tomorrow I will nevertheless still be a person who enjoys a wide variety of foods in reasonable quantities.

Anyway, good luck! [Smile]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I needed to read this thread again. Steve's been losing weight and I haven't. I finally feel like I can be active again without fear of a mono relapse but it is sooo hard. I weigh the most I ever have in my entire life.

I'm 5'8" and I should weigh about 145lbs according to the BMI. I would be happy if I only weight 155lbs like I did at the beginning of this year. But now I weigh 170. I think I've lost two pounds because weighing myself at the same time of day I've gone from 172 to 170. But that is only two pounds. I want to be thinner but I can't quite figure out what I need to change in my diet. I don't eat large portions and only eat when I'm definitely hungry.

Maybe the answer is to work out more. I did 2 miles on our Gazelle last night, but I need to stick with it consistently. I think the extra weight has lowered my energy level and is working against me in that respect too.

I'd appreciate it if one of you would occasionally give me a poke and say "Hey, have you been excercising lately?"

Thank you,

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

Hey Banna, I'm 5'8" too! And I can't wait to be 170 again. :-D I'm currently 188.6 as of last Saturday, down from 200.2 when I started at the end of August. But I'll get there! And beyond! I'm hoping to get to 135 by next August... oh, how wonderful that would be. I haven't weighed 135 since I was 13.

I remember reading that article of OSC's and thinking that it made sense, but couldn't possibly fit me. I wasn't a person who ate reasonable amounts. I ate a lot. I liked eating a lot. I had always done it, and I always would do it. My lame attempts at dieting never lasted more than 5 days, and I took this as further proof that I was not the kind of person who could eat less.

Well, who would have guessed. All I needed was a flexible and sensible structure to follow, some people checking up on me every week, and some community support, and bam! I'm losing weight. I'm eating reasonable amounts of food, and I'm not hungry. I'm eating what I want to eat, be it pizza, or corn dogs, or regular sodas, or beer, or whatever. I'm just being more reasonable about how much I can actually have in a day. I've become a person who eats less, and it only took me a week to make this mental shift. I can do this for the rest of my life, and I will do this for the rest of my life. No sweat. [Smile]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Thanks Icarus! That helps. I know I've been eating much smaller portions for the last few months, though. But sometimes I can be weak-willed when it comes to some of my favorite foods (like goldfish), and I end up eating too much of it. But your advise helps, and I'll try to keep that in mind.

I also need to start excersizing, that would probably help. *nudges BannanaOj* Hey, have you been excercizing lately? [Wink]

Tall people. [Grumble] Uhg. I'm only 5'1". [Cry] So that means I should weigh about 105, and I'm currently 117. Not too far to go, but I still have a lot of fat I need to convert to muscle. Tall people, uhg. [Grumble]

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading a great book called Inner Eating by Shirley Billigmeier in health class. All you weight loosers ( [Razz] ) should read it!
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I suppose I might as well hop on the bandwagon here. I would like to lose some weight, but for me # of pounds isn't the concern as much as how I feel and such.

Reason being, I am just a pretty big guy, 6' 3" tall, about 230 lbs, on a pretty large frame (I'm about 56 inches measured around the top of my shoulders). Because of that I really don't think I am going to lose much weight, I just want to lose that insulation I have.

I really admire those of you who are really focused on watching what you eat. For me it has been much easier to begin a regular exercise regimen. I have been working on cardiovascular for about an hour 3 days a week and then hard weight lifting 3 days a week. Working on my 4th week of this and I am really amazed at the how much better I have been feeling (except the past few days-way too little sleep). Now my focus is on making my portions smaller. I will look to you folks as inspiration for that.

[ October 01, 2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Jexxster ]

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

The other day, I read a chapter in a book by Mel Levine called "The Myth of Laziness." I was reading it to help with my students, who have, as he would describe it, "output failure."

Well, I got to a chapter that was basically written about me. It blew me away, actually. It was about a woman who was very creative, bla bla bla, but never seemed to finish anything. She lost everyting, etc. I am known for leaving my purse anywhere I go. Keys locked in the car. Bills late. Checkbook unbalanced.

I realized that I can't even think about losing wieght until I get my disorganization and subsequent procrastination under control. I am now thinking of this as a step, the first step, to weight loss.

Does that make sense to anyone else? Maybe it is a control thing? Maybe I can't lose weight because I can't seem to control these external, temporal bits?

The times I have been successful at keeping in shape and losing weight was when I was organized. With two young kids, I have to organize them, when I can barely hold my own crap together.

And I agree with OSC that it has to be a life thing. I have to be organized for life.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*cough*ADD*cough*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Did you say something, Mack? I wasn't paying attention...
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
"Output failure." That's funny.

I like that.

[Wall Bash]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Well I've now excercised for two consecutive days in a row. That does not a habit make I realize, but it is progress.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
mcubed and I are both on the Atkins diet right now. She has lost 35lbs since June 1, and I, who started later than she, have lost 15lbs since Sept. 1. We are both going to start working out as well. I need to get back to the swimming I was doing at the start of the year.

She wants to drop another 20lbs or so and get back to the weight she was when we got married. She wants me to get down to 190, which I don't think I have been since college. That's another 35lbs for me. We will see how it goes.

The hardest part for me was giving up soda pop. I would literally go through a 24 pack in a week, not counting what I drank at work. I hate the diet pops. I just started drinking Crystal Lite(Raspberry Ice) and found that I like this flavor at least. Now I am drinking 5-6 glasses of water a day. I still miss my chips though. [Frown]

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beca
Member # 4340

- posted      Profile for Beca           Edit/Delete Post 
"The Myth of Laziness"? That sounds interesting....I'll have to look that one up. [Smile]

I'm 5'2.75" according to the doctor's office, though I think I'm probably 5'3" in the morning, and closer to 5'2" at night. A year ago, I weighed 170 lbs. Of course, no one believed me, because 9 years of martial arts have given me some amount of muscle. I have, in my life, outweighed my mother by about 20 lbs (we have essentially the same frame/figure) and have still worn smaller clothing.

I've always been overweight. Things got a little better when I started doing martial arts, but seven hours a week isn't really enough to keep you from gaining weight if your problem is eating too much. And I did eat too much - for me. I ate pretty much the same amount that my classmates ate, but most of them were of the metabolically-blessed persuasion, and I am not.

I've always hated the way I look. The funny thing, though, is that it isn't low-self esteem (which is what many of my friends think) - it's vanity. It's both frustrating and embarrassing to be fat - and has had a huge impact on how I dress and how I behave. Of course, there have been advantages, too. Very few guys notice me, but the ones who do notice me appreciate me for who I am - and I've never been played.

But I decided that I was tired of being trapped in all that flesh. It got in the way. I'd gotten to a point in my study of martial arts where my weight was the main thing keeping me from developing further. I'd suspected for a while that I really could be a knockout under all the fat. And I've always been curious about what it would be like to *not* be overweight.

This morning I weighed 143 lbs. The last time I weighed this much, I didn't have a figure yet, so it's a considerably better-looking 143 lbs than last time. I had to buy a smaller belt. I've had to buy shirts in a size small, and I have the sneaking suspicion that my jeans are too loose...again. I've had to replace my office clothes. I will probably have to replace them once more, when I finish losing weight. It's expensive, but....well, it's worth it. I can do flying side kicks without worrying about landing. I can see my biceps when I flex them. I finally weigh less than my boyfriend, and I've started getting catcalls and turning heads when we go out (much to his amusement).

So, I have a ways to go. According to all those things that tell you how much you should weigh according to your height, I should weigh 115 lbs. I always weigh more than anyone expects me to, though, so I'm heading for 125 and seeing how I feel about that before I think about shooting for 115.

Social dinners are hard, because people always pressure me to eat more. Especially desserts, which I've pretty much had to give up. Eating at restaurants is tricky, because the portions are always huge. I've stuck to my guns, but I know that no matter how much I've smiled and said "It looks delicious, but I really, really can't eat that," some people have gotten offended along the way, and that's never fun. I think they're less offended now, though, because I've lost enough weight for it to really be noticed, and they've started being really supportive.

My only regret, at the moment, is being so very, very insistent on not being photographed back when I weighed 170. Silly vanity. [Big Grin]

Posts: 188 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

msquared, I'm on Atkins, too. I've lost 15 lbs since the end of August. [Big Grin]
quote:
...I decided that I was tired of being trapped in all that flesh. It got in the way. I'd gotten to a point in my study of martial arts where my weight was the main thing keeping me from developing further. I'd suspected for a while that I really could be a knockout under all the fat. And I've always been curious about what it would be like to *not* be overweight...

I know what you mean, Beca. I couldn't stand myself anymore. I hated it. Then my mom started on the diet, and inspired me to do it. It really helps to have someone dieting with me. I think a lot of people, before they can lose weight, have to decide that they want to change the way they are, and be desperate enough to work hard at it. I normally don't have much self control, but when I went on this diet I was shocked at the self control I had (even though I've slacked off lately). I was even inspired to work harder at other things in my life, and not just my diet. I have recently gone through a serious personality change, too. And that was a concious decision to change the person I was. I'm happy! I fell like a totally different person! It's great! I just need to keep it up, and control myself. (and excercize....hey, bannanaOj, been excercizing lately? [Wink] )
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
Those in need of motivation for the whole exercise thing should check out your health insurance plans. Lots of companies are now offering discounts or prizes for exercising. The last company we had insurance from offered up to a $500 refund of your premiums at the end of the year, and our current plan (with Blue Cross and Blue Shield) offers some pretty decent prizes (clocks, radios, sports bottles, yoga mat, exercise ball, backpacks, sweatshirts, even portable tv, discman, 4 person tent) if you exercise regularly.

Yeah, somtimes you just really need to get up and move. I was tramping across campus today and realized as I got to the top of a fair sized hill that I wasn't out of breath. First time in a while. Then I got home and realized that I can pull my shorts right off without undoing them.

[The Wave]

Congrats to all!

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I'm starting to outshrink cclothes faster and faster. Last year, I held out on buying new work clothes until the summer, because I knew I would lose weight over the summer and likely not get any wear out of clothes I bought late in the year. I finally bought new slacks about two months ago when the new school year started, and I bought them nice and snug, and they're already getting sorta big on me.

What I really need is new belts, though, because I wear those braided belts without holes, where you just poke it through the braids. The spot you use tends to become worn and widely gapped. I'm finding as I lose weight, though, that when I try to tighten the belt to better hold up my sagging pants, it simply unravels for a few centimeters to its same old spot. [Embarrassed]

Beca
Member # 4340

- posted      Profile for Beca           Edit/Delete Post 
Eruve Nandiriel-

My mom and dad are also dieting, so we've been exchanging recipes and meal plans and stuff. We're on opposite sides of the country, but it *is* a lot easier to keep at a diet when you've got support, even if it's in e-mail format.

And, of course, I've been lurking on this thread ever since it started....(Congratulations, all!)

[Smile]

Posts: 188 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I'm wearing this relatively new shirt for the third time today. The first two times, it fit kind of snugly. Today it fits well.

[Smile]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I didn't work out yesterday, of course having a splitting headache and going to the chiropractor had a lot to do with it.

I'll try to this evening though.

AJ

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Thanks for the support you guys! I'm "back on" my diet and I've lost two more pounds. I'm watching what I eat more carefully. The other day I was really having an awfull day, and ended up munching on candy and couldn't stop. I've never done that before, or at least never realized it. So I'm being much more careful now, and it helps if I only eat when I'm hungry.

For all you other low-carb dieters out there-Russel Stover makes some really good low-carb chocolate. Less than 1 carb a piece; they're really good and they taste like REAL chocolate! You can also use sugar substitute in cheesecake or french silk pie to make it low-carb, just watch the crusts.

I hope you feel better, BannaOj (I just now realized it's "Banna" not "Banana").

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I thought she was "BananaOJ" for the longest time.

Banna, are you still having problems from that car wreck you had awhile back, or was your trip to the chiropracter for something else?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

Ahem.... I have my new (new to me, anyhow) Playstation 2 sitting under my desk here at work. Bought with the sole purpose of playing Dance Dance Revolution for exercise! [Big Grin]

Oh, what tangled webs we weave... also Mark wants to play some baseball game he saw at our friend's house, and we could use a DVD player... [Monkeys]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Doesn't your boss notice that you're playing Dance Dance revolution instead of working?

[Razz]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I have mild degenerative disc disease in my neck. Going to the chiropractor took up time that I would have used for excercise. I normally have a maintenance adjustment every time I get a bad headache. That keeps the headaches from escalating into migraines.

It turnes out that there were multiple reasons why I actually felt so lousy. I was coming down with my fourth round of tonsilitis in three months.

I've stopped excercising again because of the fever I've been running on and off.

I will let you know firsthand how well an all liquid diet works in taking weight off in two weeks when I get my tonsils removed!

AJ

Ayelar
Member # 183

Of course not! I wear headphones and tap quietly with my toes while I'm at the computer! [Wink]

Nah, it's just sitting in the box. I won't even be able to take it home until Monday, since a) I'm swamped with work this weekend and don't need a shiny new toy distracting me, and b) I told Mark I wasn't going to buy one, cause I'm broke and owe him money. Money that I'll pay back on Monday! [Smile]

Noemon
Member # 1115

You have more self control than I do. I think I'd have that thing at home and out of the box ASAP.

Sorry to hear about the degenerative disc disease Banna. Glad it's mild. Is there a permenant cure for it?

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

(((((BannaOj)))))
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Yay! I just lost two more pounds! (for a total of 19)

I'm back in weight-loss mode! [Big Grin]

I just need to remember to excercise....

Ayelar
Member # 183

Yay! Total of 15! [Smile]
Ayelar
Member # 183

I know you'll all hate me for this, but you'll feel better about yourselves tomorrow if you stay healthy today!

[Wink]

My weight loss has slowed down, I'm at 17 pounds now, but I'm looking much better. And at least it's moving in the right direction! Now, if I can just avoid eating more candy today....

[ October 31, 2003, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Ayelar ]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Psst. I have not been watching this thread, but I have to cheer.

Just did our company weigh in, two month competition to see he will loose the most. I lost 4lbs in under a month.

That's not great or world shattering. But it is good for me.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

I just wanted to encourage you guys to keep it up during the hollidays. (with pies, and cookies...yeah right)

I actually gave up my diet a few weeks ago. I got to my goal! [Big Grin] So far I've been keeping it off, too. I need to excersize, but I haven't been because I hurt my knee. I'll be starting soon, though.

Keep up the good work, guys!

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
:: Takes a deep breath ::

Ok, I'm joining the thread!

I'm not 'big' as such, but I want to lose about 15 pounds (or convert all my flab to muscle.. either way).

I've never dieted, and I'm not going to start - but I am going to try and eat more healthily, drink more water and exercise. (I do *no* exercise no, so any will be an improvement.)

It's quite hard for me to say 'I need to lose weight', because I've always been naturally slim. I was an Australian size 8 (US size 4, according to google) until 2 years ago. (I'm also pretty short).

The I hit my twenties and started slowly but steadily gaining weight. And now I'm not happy with the way my body looks, and more importantly the way it feels.

So... here goes! Wish me luck...

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck [Smile] !
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!

[Smile]

I stalled after Halloween this year . . . a whole year of losing weight and I NEEDED some candy!

But at least I did't gain any weight, and I'm getting back on again.

I just love the way my (new) clothes fit now, and I'm excited about the way I will look after I lose another thirty pounds or so.

[Smile]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Good luck imogen! [Smile]

I lost total of 20 pounds, and it really shows. But yeah, I need to convert flab to muscle, too.

Heh, it's great when your clothes don't fit anymore! [Big Grin] I have to wear a lot of belts now 'cuz my pants won't stay up. I found the perfect dress, and went to try it on, but it was too big. It was only an 8! They didn't have any smaller ones though. [Frown]

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.