FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anything Thread - One More Try (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Anything Thread - One More Try
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on what you like to do Mae. You could write a story, not worrying about whether it's any good or not, but just for fun. If you can't come up with a plot, open up some book you've never read, copy out its first sentence, and use it as a spring-board for your own story.

If you like building things, find some raw material that is in plentiful supply, such as toothpicks, drinking straws, Q-Tips, or whatever, a bottle of glue, and go to town.

Or you could always experiment with cooking--take stock of what ingredients are available to you, and play around with them to see what dishes you can make out of them. I've created some of my favorite receipes this way.

You could pick up some book of your parents that you've never read, and read at least the first chapter of it.

You could use online resources to start teaching yourself a new language.

You could blindfold yourself, and see how well you can get around the house without sight to assist you.

You could tie your fingers together (or have someone else do it) and see how well you could do things if you had paddles instead of fingers.

You could draw, or find something to sculpt with.

You could teach yourself to juggle, or get better at juggling if you already know how to do it.

If all else fails, go to Shockwave and play some of the games. I've been having fun with Dynomite, but quite a few of them are fun.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Hey, whoever the noobie is posting under the Anonymous Hatracker login, send me an email at noemon1@yahoo.com--I've got an extra nick I might be willing to give you. Just write a little something telling me why you'd like the nick.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
::jumps and down excitedly:: I just got invited to attend Brown University's Pre-College summer program! I'm not, however, quite sure I'll be accepting the invitation. My family is moving in July and I tend to have at least three disturbingly time-consuming projects due at the beginning of the school year. Who knows? I'll probably go anyway. Not only will it be fun, but it will look great on a college application... Or so I hope.
Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
hehehe
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fael
Member # 3015

- posted      Profile for Fael   Email Fael         Edit/Delete Post 
Got my grades....

I make all A's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having waited so long to get my degree, I am now obsessed with getting good grades. I was able to work in three classes (One Thre hour and two 1 hour classes) this time, around my full time job.

I should graduate Spring of 04!

Posts: 765 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

What are you studying Fael? Congratulations on the great grades!
Vampyr18
Member # 3694

- posted      Profile for Vampyr18   Email Vampyr18         Edit/Delete Post 
*random thought:*
hey i am going to see TTT again in a couple o hours :P :P

Posts: 279 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Random Christmas story: My great aunt is obsessed with mothballs. When you visit her, you walk into her house and that is what you smell. SHe is a great lady don't get me wrong. Our christmas presents came in two boxes, one specifically to me and the other to my brothers. So I opened my box and gave the wrapped presents a good airing out for a couple days before Christmas. I didn't open my brothers box because I figured the pleasure should be theirs. Anyway on Christmas Eve evening (when my family opens presents) Nate opened the box and it REEEKED of mothballs. He pulled all of the presents out, and out of the bottom of the box rolled an actual mothball. This caused much consternation because all were overcome by the smell. The sweaters and shirts she gave them were rapidly washed, but they are at a loss with what to do about the complimenting ties!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polystyrene
Member # 3612

- posted      Profile for Polystyrene   Email Polystyrene         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that sledding is good for your soul.
Posts: 1000 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to die of boredom through the rest of this week and next week..
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polystyrene
Member # 3612

- posted      Profile for Polystyrene   Email Polystyrene         Edit/Delete Post 
You can tell that sledding is good for your soul from the soreness it brings the next day. Same goes for shovelling snow. There isn't much about snow, really, that isn't good for your soul.
Posts: 1000 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Frostbite, maybe?

and AJ, somewhere I think I read that being around too many mothballs is not good for you. Maybe your great aunt needs some help there. Older people sometimes lose their sense of smell, too, so she may not know she is overdoing it.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBlueFairy
Member # 2165

- posted      Profile for TheBlueFairy   Email TheBlueFairy         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you ever try to save snow as a child? I can remember hoarding it in boxes or trying to put it into cups in my freezer but the mysterious white stuff always eluded me and eventually melted. *sigh* I think I thought if I found a way to store it, I could ski all year long!
Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fael
Member # 3015

- posted      Profile for Fael   Email Fael         Edit/Delete Post 
My Son got engaged this Christmas!!! Or have I said that?
Posts: 765 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to your son, Fael!

And yes, as children we saved a small snowman in our freezer for ages. This was, of course, before we had "frost-free". Eventually he incorporated himself into the freezer compartment frost and we finally had to pull the plug on him. He had by then become like ice, and had become fast friends with a 7" trout stored for eternity in mother's small Tupperware mixing bowl. It was my cub scout brother's first catch.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Fael!

I don't understand what is so amusing about fishing when it's freezing outside and there is no fish..

Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

Me, either. I am glad to see you haven't yet died of boredom. What have you found to do that's interesting since yesterday?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you find, be sure to let me know. I'm BORED OUT OF MY SKULL.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

Are you feeling any better, mac?

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Still in quite a lot of pain, actually. Awaiting test results on gallbladder for Monday. I WANT TO EXERCISE.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

Sorry to hear that. Makes the weekend quite long, I know. I hope they are able to fix it quick.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone please pray that Fael's son and his wife to be have children quickly after the wedding. Fael's desire for grandchildren has become all-consuming.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gone to two funerals this weekend. One was for a 96 year old lady and the other was for a five week old little boy.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I just burned my finger on a pan and gave myself a blister. >_<

Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

I just dropped my dinner on the floor, so the dog had to eat it.
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

Not that going to two funerals in one weekend, especially one for an infant, or burning ourself on a pot isn't worse...I just wanted to add to the misery.
Tammy
Member # 4119

Sorry about your food. At least your dog is happy!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Tammy, Rain, and Mack)))

On a happier note, I like it when cute boys pay for my dinner...

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
What can I say?

Sometimes things go the way you planned.

And sometimes you set your grandmother's eyebrows on fire.

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
How true....

*sigh*

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
mwahahahaha!

: revents others on AIM from taking meaningless pretend 100,000 post::

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn you Icarus...

*takes 100001*

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to go to bed. Instead I'm checking hatrack at 12:30 at night.

On a bright side, if I keep to my schedule - I can submit a novel by July of this year. That would be cool.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems familiar to me...anyone else?

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

I want to thank the helpful elves for stealing the final papers I left in my professors' mailboxes and replacing them with much better ones.

Seriously, helpful elves is the only explanation I can think of for why my semester grades were as good as they were. Either that or my profs graded me based on my good looks and apparently-sweet personality.

Or maybe they pulled my grades out of hats...

[This message has been edited by Ophelia (edited January 10, 2003).]

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know what an "e-wedding" is?

Somebody just invited me to one and I have no clue what it is.

Somebody please tell me.

He said was it is just for fun...

Is it a pretend reception?

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
I've posted 3 times in the past hour!
(Well 4 counting this one, and I think it's been in the past hour... it could be longer. *Shuts up*

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have a hangover. Not a bad one just a mild one but I've never really had one before. My bf bought cheap table wine that we had with dinner. (It was so cheap he was trying to open it with a corkescrew and punctured the metal twist off cap) Anyway because it was so watery and ambiguous I drank way too much of it. I just want to go home and sleep but I'm here at work.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Chinese music is really fun.

Too bad I can't read the names of the pieces. Oh well!

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

I have absolutely no clue what the difference is between ensure and insure. Yeh..I looked them up! I'm still clueless.
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

to ensure is to make sure something happens as planned.

to insure is to have a plan for restitution in case it doesn't.

At least that's how I keep them in my head...

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
They are, in most cases, interchangable.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm jet lagged. I hate being jet lagged. It's 1:24am and I don't feel like sleeping. And I didn't sleep much last night, so I should be tired. Stupid time differences.

But I got my essays back from my philosophy tutor at last and they were pretty good, so I'm a happy jet lagged bunny.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polystyrene
Member # 3612

OMG! I was really hoping to get to keep my access to the animation lab and render farm I used last semester, but the professor who led the class is going out of the country this semester. I thought it was a long shot.

But today, he said not only could I keep my access to the render farm, but I could also have an office!! In the coolest building on campus! Wooooo!!

I can't believe someone at Cornell is actualy going to give me a chance to pursue something I'm interested in! Just as my faith in the school was on it's last leg.

I've already ordered a new poster for my office!

Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

Now if you can just get them to pay you a nice salary, too....
Polystyrene
Member # 3612

Even better: I'm getting credit for it! That's pretty valuable, I guess.

Though money wouldn't be a bad thing. Especially since the $14 poster I ordered broke the bank.

Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

Credit is good...
Ophelia
Member # 653

I went to dinner at Olga's (a restaurant) tonight, where I learned that they no longer offer their delicious frozen yogurt. I'm so sad! Their peasant stew is as good as ever, though.
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
A lurker's 100th post!

I knew this wasn't an engaging enough topic to start a new thread with, but I was excited about it! I registered in August in order to discuss Shadow Puppets, and now I am hooked, though I mostly just read stuff and stay in the shadows. One thing I enjoy most about this forum is that it is so varied in the topics it discusses. It's great to go from a philosophical discussion, into a pie fight, into a touching story, into a hunt for an Evil Monkey, into girl talk...etc.

Anyway, just wanted to pop up for a second to say hi again and here's to 100 more!

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
"I think I am insane. But one of the happy kinds!" -- Wally, from Dilbert.

Like meeeeeeeee!!

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.