FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Landmark Post Thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: New Landmark Post Thread
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Due to the forum upgrade, most of the links on the old Landmark Post thread (that fantastic brainchild of the illustrious Strider) no longer work. I have compiled new links for all of the threads listed on the old thread, and included them all here. It's likely that some threads weren't on the list, but I took all the ones that were there (plus found a few more). They're here in the order they were posted* (yeah, that's probably completely selfish because it leaves mine at the top -- pride is my downfall). I hope all the links work. <Updated format on 4/2/03 for people who want to print the threads.> <Updated 8/1/03 to reference the new archive -- thank you to our webmaster for all the work, and to our hosts for choosing to save them.> <Note 3/25/05 -- some older threads are better viewed with Western European encoding rather than Unicode.> <Redid all links after forum changeover. That was a lot of links!>

--------------------------------------------------

Ok -- there used to be a list right here. However, editing that list was causing forum hiccoughs every time because it was so long. Therefore, a new Landmark Post List can now be found at the top of the Landmark archive forum. That's where I'll make edits and updates. But if I erased this, then Strider would get no credit, and we can't have that. --Pop

--------------------------------------------------

3/28/05 -- I don't know if it was caused by my computer acting unusually, or because this post has gotten so long, but all comments below this point somehow got deleted last time I tried to add one to the list. So thanks to those who were previously thanked (I think Paul, fugu13, and Zevlag) for what they were previously thanked for. *Crosses fingers before hitting "Edit Post"*

--Pop

[ June 01, 2005, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Papa Moose ]

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Damnit Pop!

That landmark post thread was all I had going for myself!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feyd Baron
Member # 1407

- posted      Profile for Feyd Baron   Email Feyd Baron         Edit/Delete Post 
Do I get an award for the earliest Landmark Post?

Oh, and thanks Moose.

Feyd

Posts: 1000 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Feyd, since Mama Squirrel's is in binary, she does. It was her eighth.

Sorry, Strider. I'll edit the first post to return the credit to you, ok?

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Moose! I'm impressed!

Can somebody post a link to that Jatraqueros site as well?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's hilarious that my 1,206th post was included. I guess I have to thank Ralphie for giving me that inspiration.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
I spotted an error. [Smile]
Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Ok, I fixed one, Khav. We're even.
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
I am deeply hurt that this wasn't included: Unmaker's 666th Post

[Wink]

[ March 31, 2003, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: David Bowles ]

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Get over it. [Smile]
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Pops!
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Thanks Pop.

Although I think my name should have been bolded and underlined as well as italicized. But hey, I'll take what I can get.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Added CalvinMaker's 999th, and granted Strider's request.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Bump.> Added Kayla, as well as printer-friendly links. The printer versions are also nice because they include all the responses on a single page, even if the thread goes to two or more. I figure it would make it much easier should someone desire to keep copies of the whole threads, rather than just the original posts. And at least for me, the responses on the thread are more valuable to me than the original post. Maybe that's just me....

--Pop

Strider
Member # 1807

Thanks Pop! I feel so special now.

I wanna be just like you when i grow up!

[Wink]

Cassandra
Member # 4566

- posted      Profile for Cassandra   Email Cassandra         Edit/Delete Post 
bump
Posts: 594 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Bumped with IndexCard's 50.00th added.>
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
That's a work! [Eek!]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Bump with Ethics Gradient's 3yr/2,000th.>
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Bump for Gherman Titov and the Tresopax Manifesto.>
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Bump with Dan_raven, Belle, Human, and Amka.>
Strider
Member # 1807

hey pop, my landmark post was my 2000th post. [Razz]

not that it's important... [Frown]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my goodness, I'm on another list. I think it's my second. Nice work, Pops. That must have taken you more than a few minutes to pull together. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Odd. I swear I already fixed that once, Strider. Oh, never mind -- that was Khavanon. You're welcome, afr.

--Pop

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Bump with Scooter and Keatsie.>
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*
*waits for Papa Moose for Maethoriell's 4000th*
[Smile]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Bump, having added Maethoriell's 4K and KarlEd's 2K.>

Side note -- I don't post on many landmark threads, but I'm enjoying them all, and I re-read them frequently. I hope I'm not the only one -- otherwise this thread is kinda pointless.

--Pop

Member # 4842

- posted      Profile for *           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is wonderful, Pop, thanks for keeping it up. [Smile]
Posts: 353 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Pop, you are the one of the coolest Jatraqueros! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] You're a sweetie Papa M!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Wow, it's been a while, hasn't it. So -- bump for Kama's Almost-2K, and to update the link for the new Jatraquero site and add credit for Zevlag. And apparently I added Troubador's 1,000th back when he posted it, but never bumped this thread for it. Sorry, Troubs.

--Pop

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Danke.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Bump and add Shlomo.>
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Tri-bumpage with Annie, Pixie, and Pat.>
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<T_Bump.>
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Where did my 5 year/1000th go? Okay it wasn't much of a post, but still I'm offended it's not here [Frown]
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Sheepish look.>
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Hobbes 'n' Bob's.>
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<T.Bump.> (Not to be confused with T_Bump.)

Ok, so I'm gonna keep this thread active, and based on others' responses in another thread, I think anyone who wishes to keep his/her own landmark thread from being deleted will be responsible for its bumping. As I notice (if it happens) threads dropping away, I'll update the links in the first post -- either remove them (the link, not the record of its former existence), or point to the Jatraquero copy of the landmark post (if it has been transferred).

Selfishly, I was hoping that the cyclical bumping would be the choice, so it wouldn't look like pure pride when I bumped my own thread. *sigh* I've never been unclear about pride being my biggest weakness, right? It still is.

--Pop

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

And Slash.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, sorry to be dumb. What IS a landmark post?
Liz

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Not dumb. Not unreasonable at all, since many people don't agree. Landmark posts began unwittingly, and there was no specific plan for them. Some people in the distant past would simply make a post to announce that they had achieved a certain number of posts, and do something like have a party and provide cake or something. (Look out, here comes Moose's pride again.)

I decided that I wanted my 1,000th to be something special, so on my 999th post I asked for suggestions on what I should do for my 1,000th. While the suggestions were good, none struck my fancy, so I posted a brief history of my life. A couple other people thought it should be a tradition to post this at 1,000. Others were already past 1,000 posts, and thought it should be done at any multiple of 1,000. Some people figured they were never going to hit 1,000 and did them sooner. Some people used years of presence instead of number of posts (or both). Some people never asked what it was, so did them sooner. Some people weren't paying attention, missed the number they were aiming for, and so did it at another point. Some people just decided they were gonna do one, and did one.

Well, since some people have done more than one (though that isn't the only reason), not all the threads were personal histories. Some talked about specific events. Some talked about family members. Some opened up for questions.

There doesn't seem to be a formula, other than it's a chance to share who one is with the Hatrack community. The majority consensus (I believe) is that multiples of 1,000 are good, because it gives one enough time to become an active and known participant in the community. It also spreads them out fairly well in most cases when a member posts more than one. But it's not definite by any means. I took two years to get to 1,000; others hit 5,000 in less than one year.

Maybe the best way to try to understand it is just to read them.

--Pop

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Added a few landmarks, and I chose (executive decision) to include CT's thread about her mom. CT, if for some reason you'd prefer it not be here, let me know.

--Pop

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

<Mackillibump.>
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so Twinky called it a non-landmark, so maybe Moose doesn't have to update his orginal post for it (I guess that's Twinky's call) but I wanted it at least mentioned in this thread. Twinky's 3000th.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

I indeed passed on adding it since twinky said it wasn't a landmark post, but I can add it if he changes his mind on it. And celia's has been added as well.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
No worries. Non-landmark. My 2,000th was also not a landmark. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Ok. Also, celia pointed out to me that I had missed saxon75's 1,000th, so he has now been added, too.
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoo-hoo! Thanks Pop! Hope I get to meet you this week.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Links updated. Thanks go out (again, since I edited it into the first post) to our webmaster and our hosts.

[Edit -- I forgot to say -- I'll continue to update this thread to keep track of the new landmarks, as well as update the links for others as they hit the archives.]

[ August 01, 2003, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Papa Moose ]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.