FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The REAL Hatracker's thread (Page 6)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: The REAL Hatracker's thread
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

True true.

I'd love to make it to out-of-state gatherings..however, with limited vacation time I haven't been able to convince my wife that we should spend it that way. Perhaps someday though... I'll have to get her online more and into reading forums. Perhaps then she'll 'get' online communities. She isn't really all that techno-savvy.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, thats so unfair!! I deleted that 6666th post, I demand that I get to use it again!

Gosh friggin dang it.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, I knew you'd take that the right way...I should have left off the disclaimer. [Smile] Icarus is such a homewrecker isn't he? (j/k) [Razz]

kat, that *would* be fun. It'd be a long way off, but someday I hope...

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
::bump::

The question as to what it takes to be considered real keeps coming up. Now, I've had this argument with a number of people who claim that you have to be connected to Slash, or to someone who was at the first Hatrack picnic way back when, but as it is clearly stated (by royal decree, no less) in the first post of this thread, all it takes is having met two other Hatrackers.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY!

I think it should have to be Hatrackers who've been already verified, but that's just my opinion, not the law.

For instance, you can't get your two neighbors to post once and say you've met two, it would have to be two that have already met two OTHER previously verified rackers apiece (and those would also have to have met two others, etc.)

But we can do it Slashy's way.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have met :

JenniK
Bob_Scopatz
Bokonon
Suneun/dabbler
Mike
T_Smith
Mackillian
Myrddyn Fyre
martha
Kale (before he was kale... [Big Grin] )
Beca
sarahindipty
Elizabeth
Kama

All of them except for Bob_S, martha,Kale and Beca, I met at the WMASS Hatrack Picninc this weekend...oh, and JenniK, who is my wife...lol...

I met Bob, martha, Kale, and Beca at Bob's visit to Boston this spring.

I think the point of "real" is that you have to have met people who can trace it back to some of the old-timers here who all have met IRL.

If the only people you have been seen by are your friends who post here, but none of you have ever met anyone outside of the clump, then you are not real.

Bob, Mack, Kama, and T_Smith have all seen/been seen by many of the originals, which makes everyone who was at the WMASS picnic real. And in turn, now that we are real we can confer that status to anyone we can seen IRL.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Especially if they are friends that you encouraged to join. *rasslefrassin*
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
blacwolve
fugu13

allegra

but I knew all of them before they were hatrackers
and all of them were at kama con, one was at wench con and one has been to a book signing, so they are real

[ August 23, 2004, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: breyerchic04 ]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I've met ludosti, PSI Teleport, Feyd Baron/Architraz Warden, slacker, Peterh, and pooka.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.A.M.A.
Member # 6045

- posted      Profile for K.A.M.A.           Edit/Delete Post 
<-- realest
Posts: 44 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I've met all those, minus me, and plus Derrell.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
PSI, are you implying that you don't know the real you? Oh, you poor thing, you.

I met Primal Curve and keedokes, though I haven't seen keedokes post much.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Who ever does, Goatee?
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmn, lots of you seemed to have forgotten me and Bernard...

I was lucky to become real scant months after joining Hatrack--Bernard knew I existed before I joined, and then I met Toretha when I got to school.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble]
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama and Strider.

I'M REAL! *does happy dance*

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't met anyone... [Cry]
Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Um, don't sweat it...I was around for a year before I met anyone.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I have met....

Annie
Jon Boy
Brinestone
sarcastic muppet
hansenj
pooka
Amka
T-Smith

then

Frisco

then

Shigosei
Mr. Funny

Oh, and of course, mr_porteiro_head.
I *know* him. [Big Grin] [Razz]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

O_O
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
jeniwren, you aren't responsible for my divorce. That was Icarus' fault.
o_O

Wait. Does that mean I also get credit for your impending un-divorce?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I was the second Hatracker sndrake met, I got to make him real. What a rush! [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, you get partial credit, since it was partially you guys’ friendship that made me think I’d enjoy meeting him in the first place. [Cool]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
This realness thing needs to be better defined. I think I must have said this before on another thread. Just like for a mathematical system we need axioms and provable theorems, precision and repeatability. So here is the actual, mathematical definition of reality.

All reality originally derives from the very first hatrack picnic in 2000 in Los Angeles, which Slashy thought up and several of us hosted. The attendees there were Slash, Richard Berg, Brian Worth, sarfa, Dean, Moonflower, Jacob Porter, and myself. All subsequent realness must derive from members of this group. They subsequently had other gatherings in SoCal which included the Moose family, for instance, at which they gained their reality, to pass along to all of Endercon. (OSC wasn't even real until Endercon. <laughs> No wait, he met Slash before that at some LA signing when Geoff and Olavmah were there, that's right!) The writer's boot camp thing gave many more people reality including Olivet and Flying Cow. Saudade and Andrei got their reality from me. Everyone else who's real seems to be linked back through some Endercon attendee or another.

This system is much better defined than the one Slash proposed, because it rejects clumps with no connection to the main body of the group. Those may be given provisional reality status, of course, before such time as a link to actual reality is established, but one must always keep in mind the tenative nature of such a state.

[ August 24, 2004, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw, do you mean that Bob's patience with someone like Icarus led you to believe he must be a swell, understanding type of guy? Any friend of Joe's, must be a saint.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
*hands over ears*

La la la la la!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly, although it was a relief to know in advance that my obsession with mustard varieties and insistence on REAL maple syrup wouldn’t be a barrier to our relationship.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I think I may be in the clear, by AKA's definition. I missed the bunching that sarfa attended, but then I met the group after they met sarfa. And I already mentioned that we met Pooka, who I can't imagine isn't real because of her connections up in Utah. I may be okay.
saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
This system is much better defined than the one Slash proposed
It may well be, but as the Lizard King no longer frequents Hatrack, I don't think he'll be rescinding his decree.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Nor does it particularly matter anymore, as I think every large clump currently in existence has at least one member who's directly connected even under AKA's method.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

You're such an anarchist, Tom. [Razz]
Icarus
Member # 3162

[ROFL]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Slashy pointed out to me on AIM how the very first hatrack picnic was his idea, and how he was the one who got everyone started going into chat via the "we are chatting now" thread, how he was the first to be my high priest (though he mostly sacrificed virgins... I think he just really liked sacrificing virgins) and how he originated many other memes and traditions that make this place so great. "I am the rock upon which your church is founded," he said.

So, I'd like to pause here and just have a moment of awed silence for all the Slashyness we still have with us, and by which was are so blessed day by day. And to add a prayer that our slashiness remain with us ever undimmed, and that one millennial day, perhaps ages and ages hence, we might arise from the shining waters of sleep to discover that once again the universe has turned and we can enjoy a new advent of Slashy himself among us in all his greatness.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Amen.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Good grief.

Is it the right of the siblings of Slash to roll their eyes at his ham-handed 'reminders'?

[Razz]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
This system is much better defined than the one Slash proposed, because it rejects clumps with no connection to the main body of the group. Those may be given provisional reality status, of course, before such time as a link to actual reality is established, but one must always keep in mind the tenative nature of such a state.

I don't think so.....

If, under your plan, OSC wasn't real until he connected with you......then I don't think it works at all!

Even Slash needed a site to meet people ot, and we have this site due to OSC.

The first clump would therefore be his family....

[Evil]

Right Geoff?

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a figment of my own imagination. [Smile]

I've not met anyone from this board...so I guess I cannot be verified. Though I am sure one of these days kaioshin00 and I will run into eachother since we go to the same university. Until then I guess people will have to go to Goodkind's board to confirm that I am real. [Razz]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Sorry. Not worth it.

[Razz]

ak
Member # 90

Kwea, Uncle Orson? That dude hardly ever posts anymore, he never was very active to start with, and the last posts I've seen by him were just asking for people to help him with his homework! He's barely even a hatracker! What do you mean you think he should be the source of all realness???

Now Aunt Kristine, she's a different story! [Hail] If Uncle Orson is real it's totally because he lives with her. [Smile]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

I would agree with that, Anne Kate.

But only because I lost that thread where he said some killer stuff about me. My ego will never forgive me for that one.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

[Roll Eyes]

AS IF there were ever such a thread.

[ August 25, 2004, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

The word "cogent" was used. You can't turn your back on "cogent".
Icarus
Member # 3162

I wouldn't turn my back on a chimera either, but that doesn't mean they exist . . .
Kwea
Member # 2199

Ralphie, I wouldn't turn my back on you one way or another...no telling what you might do!

Just because all the newbies might not remember who you are doen't mean that all the rest of us have forgotten... [Evil]

[ August 26, 2004, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

Kwea - That's wise. I may or may not commit dangerous acts when people's backs are to me, but I'd place money that they would be illicit.

Icarus - I'll bet Bok would vouch for me.

And now that I think about it... wait just a gull derned rackem frackem moment. I thought we were a power-duo, Joe! WonderEgos - Activate!

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
So....am I imaginary? or maybe i'm omniscent(sp)?
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you're neither.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I were cogent... [Frown]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Aw, c'mon Ralphie! Here I am trying to start a good old fashioned flamewar and you have to go bringing up things like friendship. Jeez, what's a guy gotta do?
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
You could try telling her about her own religion. . .

'Ralphie-ists beleive in nictating membranes.'

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.