FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The REAL Hatracker's thread (Page 9)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: The REAL Hatracker's thread
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
We've had several people be real the instant they signed up, actually. But you might be the fastest to become real without already having met two real Hatrackers prior to joining.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

I will, however, vouch for lma and Tante.

Mother and Aunt?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've met three. One whom I persuaded to join, and is by no means real.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
But Steve, you were already real before you signed up, just required the signing up part. Don't I remember reading you met Beverly at a book signing? If so, I'm pretty sure you know Kat right, since she's your sister and went with you to Spain, so you must (unless there are some weird issues). Which makes you real before you met Corwin, Choobak, Kama, or any others.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
We've had several people be real the instant they signed up, actually. But you might be the fastest to become real without already having met two real Hatrackers prior to joining.

I am having a hard time trying to figure out what that statement means, exactly. [Razz]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If breyerchic's right, then Steve joins the ranks of people who became real immediately after joining.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Breyerchic is correct, so he also gets to add beverly and MattB to his list of Hatrackers he has met.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I thought. I'm also on that list, having met fugu, raia, blacwolve, kyrie, meltingsnowman, and stryker by registration, fugu had been to wenchcon2, blacwolve and meltingsnowman had been to a signing with aj, celia, happycamper, and hobbes, as well as met osc, and somehow msquared.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

I will, however, vouch for lma and Tante.

Mother and Aunt?
*giggle* Except that is an L, not an i.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh! I see. Never mind.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I was real upon registering too. I'd met Bob the Lawyer, and twinky (however briefly), and Eaquae Legit (sort of). However, now I can also vouch for:

Desdemona
Eaquae Legit (for real this time)
ReikoDemosthenes
Teshi
ElJay (like she needs more verification)

And this reminds me, I never did scan my few paltry pictures from Hatrack.ca and now I can't. Sorry, guys.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gossip
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for gossip           Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to say that I'm real.
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I signed up for hatrack while at KamaCon. I was real immediately.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B-HAX
Member # 6640

- posted      Profile for B-HAX   Email B-HAX         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a bot.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just met Orson Scott Card and kacard at a book signing/lecture today. So that makes two. But I also know disgruntled webdesigner. So that's three.

I'm real now. [Wave]

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

*bump for firebird and others* finally got it to work, needed to get the caps and the punctuation in the right spots.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I've got a question.

There are three currently Real Jatraquero/as in this household. When the new baby is born, is s/he Instantly Real as soon as s/he has a screenname? [Big Grin]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

yes actually, I bet if you registered it a name, pre birth, it'd be real, pre birth, though I'm not sure, you'd probably need to ask Slash. But at least by birth, it's real. Like, if Enigmatic were to have a girlfriend that wasn't on hatrack, if she met his mother or sister, and registered, she'd be real (sorry to use him as an example, but it worked in my head).
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks breyerchic!
[Hat]

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

yes actually, I bet if you registered it a name, pre birth, it'd be real, pre birth,

*giggles* Well, it obviously did come out of a meeting of two Real Jatraqueros...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

and it can hear you, no different than if it were a blind jatraquero right [Wink] ?

anytime firebird

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Heck, pretty soon it'll even be kicking me.

But I think I'll wait until it's born to declare it "Real".

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

heh, yeah having a true birth name might be good for being real, even if no one else knows it.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I think you have to actually post on Hatrack before you can be real, though. Merely having a screenname shouldn't cut it.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

so that means an unborn child can't post, but a newborn can? I think that's where it gets hard.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it means you're not real until you're posting under your screenname.

In other words, just because both parents are Real and they post under their child's screenname doesn't make the child real.

Just my take on Tom's statement.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

But sophie's real, and she's tom's kid, and I think christy posted as her.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Not according to Tom's definition.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Maybe, but the way I took Tom's definition, isn't the way you took it, babies "posting" counts, if there is a post, at least that's how it's been discussed before. He said it actually has to have posts, just having it registered doesn't count.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
From the first post in this thread:
quote:
Bob mentioned recently that because of the nature of the BB, we may all be having conversations with people who don't exist, except as multiple pseudonyms for the same person.
If the original intent was to verify that a screenname was not actually a different Hatracker posting under an alternative name, I don't think that parents posting as their babies would make the babies Real. That's pretty clearly an alt until such time as the child can type and takes over the screenname.

On the other hand, if the point is just to attest that a person actually exists, the baby would still be real if two other Hatrackers (presumably the parents) had met him/her, whether the baby is responsible for any posts or not.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I don't consider Sophie "real" in the Hatrack sense. [Smile]
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I suppose I'd better post here to "officialize" my "realness." I have met Will B., who is in my writing popular fiction class, and Scott Card, who teaches my writing popular fiction class.
Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Is Will B. "Real"?

It's not enough to merely meet two Hatrackers, you have to meet two "real" hatrackers. In other words, every "real" hatracker is connected to every other "real" hatracker.

Real hatrackers cannot exist in a vacuum.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
pH is at least half real! I've met her. Although I'm not sure if that counts because I may not be real. I've only otherwise met Hatrackers who aren't around anymore.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
pH has been real for awhile.

And it's not how recently the old jatraqueros were around, it's whether or not they themselves were real. Slash doesn't post here anymore, and he's the root of all the real.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

kmboots, are the people you've met on the first page of this thread kmboots (or anypage really), also if only one is, and you've met pH, you're real.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
There are real jatraqueros who haven't posted on this thread. I'm real several times over, but I don't think I've posted in here before. I'm sure there are others.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

yeah but I think (just a guess) that most of the really old Utah ones are listed even if they didn't post it, and I'd say many others, though yeah there are real people who haven't been mentioned on this thread.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

No...I think the only other Hatracker I've met is Grayson Towler and he was from back in the old days and hasn't posted for years.

But now I've met pH and, since she is real, can I be half real?

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Yea, You live in chicago? If I were any closer, I'd drive up and meet you.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

If you're in Chicago, you have the opportunity to be VERY real very easily. [Smile]
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Well, Evanston actually. But I'm the queen of the el. Cool! I get to be a real girl someday! How many of you are nearby?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

There are four regulars in Madison, three in Milwaukee, and I think another five in the west suburbs of Chicago.
firebird
Member # 1971

How many REAL hatrackers are their in London?

I just want to know how difficult it is going to be ....

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
One, as far as I'm aware. So you'll need your second to be a traveller, more than likely, or you'll have to do some traveling yourself.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

Who?
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Amira Tharani.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Wasn't there some map somewhere where the 'rackers marked where in the world they are? This was back many many months ago.
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the record - I'm real. I've met both Raia and blacwolve.

If I travel to London, firebird, I'll confer Realness on you in exchange for a place to crash. [Smile]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

Jhai ... anytime! [Wave]

ohh ohhh I'm going to be real!

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.