FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What movie is *this*? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: What movie is *this*?
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a friend swear that it was in Flight of the Navigator, which she had just recently seen. I haven't gotten around to checking that yet.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
::laughs insanely::
My sister heard this quote from a teacher, who heard it from another student, who got it from a website. SHe thought it was in one of those IBM commercials.

Six degrees of hatrack. hehehe

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Does this quote exist, or is it just a glitch in the Matrix?
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow! We never figured this out? Darn!
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
CURSE YOU AND ALL YOUR DESCENDANTS FOR BUMPING THIS THREAD WHICH CONSUMED SO MUCH OF MY FREE TIME BACK IN APRIL.

CURSE YOU ETERNALLY!!!!!!!

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn straight.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Thalia's fault! Thalia's fault! [Razz]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe this is four pages of people NOT knowing where this quote came from... I read them all in search of an answer!!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

- posted      Profile for filetted   Email filetted         Edit/Delete Post 
you know, it does sound familiar, but it seems a little silly to spend too much time thinking about it without any assurances it actually came from a movie.

i'm thinking "gulllible isn't a word", over here.

funny gag though.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, it's definitely two American guys, because the local college radio station plays this quote every once in awhile in its ads. But...um....I still don't know where it came from. *frustrated*
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

That sounds like a lead. What's the name of the station and the show?
Avadaru
Member # 3026

It's KLSU, but the quote isn't from a particular show - it goes something like..."'What does it do?' 'It doesn't DO anything - that's the beauty of it.' '91.1 KLSU!!!'" They have a whole bunch of little blurbs like that, with various movie quotes, that they play in between songs, etc.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

make a recording and post it. I reckon an audio would help someone place it.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

I'll try. It's just a matter of catching it - I listen to the station all the time, and I only hear it once a week, maybe - so it'll be difficult to record, but I'll do my best [Smile]
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Thanks Avadaru! I sent them an email, hopefully they can shed some light on the subject. [Wink]
filetted
Member # 5048

good thinking BOH. when in doubt, ask.

[Smile]

Avadaru
Member # 3026

Yes, good thinking indeed! Hopefully they'll give you an answer and this will resolve the issue! [Razz]
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

I know when I'm beaten. My girl friend said it is my best quality. [Smile]
Avadaru
Member # 3026

[Big Grin]
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought you'd like to know that I was actually asking people this question in my DREAM last night. Curse you all.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Not Neverending story, either. Trust me.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirReal
Member # 5257

- posted      Profile for SirReal   Email SirReal         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking "My Science Project" but no proof as of yet.
Posts: 172 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
for some reason when i hear the second line in my head i picture Booger from revenge of the nerds saying it.

I'm pretty positive he never says it there.

Maybe Better off Dead?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Slash wrote:

quote:
Who was the guy that played the druggy buddy in 'Better off dead"?

When I say that line in my head, I picture that guy saying it.

Holy Crap! I totally didn't read Slash's post before I posted the same thing. The only possible explanation is that we're right!

Thinking about it more i not only hear him saying it, but i can also see him saying it. I can't think of what part of the movie it would be in though. that movie is so random. I know there's some better off dead fans here. Maybe they can help. Or i'll just have to watch the movie.

[ June 19, 2003, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
CURSE YOU AND ALL YOUR DESCENDANTS FOR BUMPING THIS THREAD WHICH CONSUMED SO MUCH OF MY FREE TIME BACK IN APRIL.

This was my initial reaction too. Who wants to be reminded of their research failures?

I suppose there's a bright side - it should disabuse any notion that the internet is inexhaustible source for information of pop
culture! In a weird way, it's kind of comforting to find the internet reources letting us down on that one. I'm hoping that contacting the radio station provides the answer, though.

Because I'm obsessing again. And I've got no place left to looking for answers. [Frown]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Lord. Did y'all read the IMDB forum where ssywak posted this?!?

http://us.imdb.com/board/bd0000001/thread/1180562

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

jeepers! No one can figure it out anywhere!

I think this means that it's used in similar contexts in more than one medium. Someone on IMDB mentioned Santa Claus the movie, with Dudley moore and John Lithgow? I'm almost positive that's correct, i can picture the scene where Dudley's elf character suggests the lollipop idea to Lithgow's nasty businessman, and Lithgow's hilarious open-mouthed gape at the thought of a toy not Doing Anything. I think Moore says something afterwards like "it's just to bring joy to children at Christmas" i have the movie, i'm gonna put it on and FIGURE THIS OUT

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

An internet phenomenon has begun...
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Now wait...if this was heard sampled on the radio, could the station be called up? Could we ask THEM if they know?
SirReal
Member # 5257

- posted      Profile for SirReal   Email SirReal         Edit/Delete Post 
They may have "created" the quote by combining lines from different sources.
Posts: 172 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

To clarify: i'm almost positive that's where *I* heard it...but, like i said, i have a feeling its a series of lines that've been said in more than one movie. Especially if Avadaru says two american guys say the lines on her radio station...because dudley moore is decidedly not american [Smile]
Avadaru
Member # 3026

Ok...next time I hear it, I'll call the radio station and ask them where the quote came from. Or maybe I'll just call and ask them anyway. [Razz] I've asked all my friends about the quote, and THEY can't figure it out, either. Arrggghhh!
Leonide
Member # 4157

*bangs head into wall*

Not Santa Claus the Movie.

*continues banging head*

Leonide
Member # 4157

Okay, people, we're just going to have to accept the fact that's not from any one movie in particular!

I just remembered this exchange from French Kiss, where Kate and Luc surprise Charlie and the "goddess" on the beach:

"Kate, what does he do?"
"Do? You mean, besides what we do together? I don't think he does anything. Huh."

sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
Okay, people, we're just going to have to accept the fact that's not from any one movie in particular!
Well, there's at least one other possibility. Others might be afraid to mention this as a possibility, but I have a high embarrassment threshold, a healthy degree of paranoia, and a good imagination.

We could be the victims of careless meddlers in the timestream.

I reckon something like the following could have happened.

In our original timestream, there was a very popular movie that most of us watched. The most memorable line of the movie was the one we've all been trying to track down. Maybe it won an Oscar (probably just for soundtrack, costume, or special effects, though.).

That was the original timestream. Here's where it gets dicey. I figure some irresponsible traveller from our future (maybe even our present - I don't read too many technical journals) made trip into our collective pasts and did something - something that - either by accident or design, resulted in this movie never being shown or maybe even made.

So this movie that made an impression on so many of us no longer exists. But the memory of our favorite line, like a ghost track on a poorly rerecorded casette tape, still rings in our memory.

Looks like the future is much the same as the present - there's never a Time Cop around when you need one. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

That's actually a very interesing concept for story...
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

I have another idea.

Why don't have ask Uncle Orson to put this line in Ender's Game. This way, we will know for sure where this line "comes" from.

Perhaps Thalia saw the movie in the future and traveled back in time to torment us. If that's the case, can you tell me who dies in the next Harry Potter book? You better! [Mad]

sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
That's actually a very interesing concept for story...

Thanks, it's probably inspired by the works of R. A. Lafferty (and I find there's a lot of stuff of his I didn't know existed I can now buy through the web). It feels like a Lafferty plot, anyway.

Of course, Lafferty's plot would have involved any possible combination of an australipithecus, a ghost, a seminal genius, a two-bit con-man, and
Ktistec machine. There are other character possibilities, but those were some of my favorites.

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I found this : "A perceptual notion machine," explained Moffat. "It's based on the theory of relatives actually, mostly uncles and aunts.
"I see," said Jennifer but she didn't, not really.
"I wish it was more economical though, the way it is now it takes a great deal of entropy to make it go."
"Oh," said Jennifer. "What does it do, exactly?"
"I'm not really sure," Moffat admitted. "That's the beauty of it! It might do any number of things and it probably does! I won't really know until afterwards, and even then it might be hard to tell!"

This is the first few lines of chapter 5 in a book called "Search for the New-Moon Stones" by Allen Morgan. I'll keep looking.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

My sister reminded me of the Seinfeld episode about the show about nothing:

"What it is about?"
"It's not about anything. That's the beauty of it!"

That really does sound right, but then what is the quote on KLSU from?!

Leonide
Member # 4157

oh my god, avadaru.

i think she's got it!!

At least, Seinfeld would definitely be the most mainstream movie/tv show we've seriously considered before. I *still* steadfastly stand by my theory that variations on this theme have appeared in numerous other things. And i can still picture a guy saying "It doesn't DO anything" [Smile]

Avadaru
Member # 3026

I mean, I can definitely hear this quote - hmm....what if I'm just misquoting the KLSU thing?!?! Argh! That would make so much sense....now if I can just catch it on the radio....
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe its actually a very common line and its derivations are found in many movies. Or it could be Men in Black II. That's what I've been thinking.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

There must be a way to put this thread to rest.

Come on!

Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Kayla,

I know. I've destroyed lives. So many lives...

--Steve

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least you accomplished something! [Wink]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Anyone on Better off Dead? I don't own it so i can't prove or disprove.

Anyone? I think I remember Papa Moose being a fan. I may be wrong...

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
For my 666th post, I decided to do something evil... (thanks to Ryuko for the inspiration... [Big Grin] )

...so has anyone figured out where this quote's from yet?

[Confused]

[Razz]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
--I--
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

"sweet jebus! it's ALIVE!"
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.