FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What movie is *this*? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: What movie is *this*?
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not Big.

Here's the scene you were thinking of:

PAUL
These tests were conducted over a six month period using a double-blind format of eight over-lapping demographic groups. Every region of the country was sampled, the focus testing showed a solid base in the 9 to 11-year old bracket, with a possible carry-over into the 12-year olds. When you consider that Nobots and Transformers pull over 37 percent market share, and that we are targeting the same area, I think that we should see one quarter of that and that is one fifth of the total revenue from all of last year. Any questions? Yes? Yes?

JOSH
I don't get it.

PAUL
What exactly don't you get?

JOSH
It turns from a building into a robot, right?

PAUL
Precisely.

JOSH
Well, what's fun about that?

PAUL
Well, if you had read your industry breakdown, you would see that our success in the action figure area has climbed from 27 percent to 45 percent in the last two years. There, that might help.

JOSH
Oh.

PAUL
Yes?

JOSH
I still don't get it.

PAUL
What?!

MR. M
What don't you get Josh?

JOSH
Well, there's a million robots that turn into something. And this is a building that turns into a robot. So what's so fun about playing with a building? That's not any fun!

PAUL
This is a skyscraper.

JOSH
Well, couldn't it be like a robot that turns into something like a bug or something?

PAUL
A bug?

JOSH
Yeah! Like a big prehistoric insect with maybe like giant claws that could pick up a car and crush it like that!

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
If nothing else, this thread has given us a good excuse to revisit some of our favorite movies. [Smile]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we should just agree it's Sienfeld and then drop it.

And then we should all go out for pizza, I'm buying. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Scratch that, Chris is buying. Ahh yes, that's more like it.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
if I actually watched Sienfeld I would go with that...but...but...it just doesn't gratify a non-Sienfeld watcher who is driven insane by it...
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/55229

quote:

Hitchhiker's Guide....great series.

anyone read the 5th book in the trilogy of 4?
Oriphus
AfterDawn Addict
12 December 2003 07:28
Its confirmed. Rewinded the DVD and played it again. A straight quote from that film.

True?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

This is an evil plot by Amazon to drum up sales in their geek demographics. [Wink]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd agree with it being in Mostly Harmless...but my dad knows this quote and he hasn't read that yet...

[ April 19, 2004, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: ReikoDemosthenes ]

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Once and for all, I'd like to shoot down the Seinfeld, Simpsons, and H2G2 guesses. I have every Seinfeld(the episodes in which Kramer invents are called "The Opposite" and "The Cigar Store Indian) and Simpsons episode, and it's not there. I've checked.

And I have the book, radio, and BBC miniseries of the Hitchhiker's Guide, and it's not in any of them.

Thank you. Carry on.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's a quote from any particular place. It's just a common idiom in the English language to say "That's the beauty of it" about something useless.

But check out what you get when you Google the quote:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22what%20does%20it%20do%3F%22%20%22that%27s%20the%20beauty%20of%20it%22

A million forums having this same debate. Plus a Hentai site that has the quote in its random search-engine-cheating string. I guess it's just that popular a phrase ...

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
A million forums, maybe, but Hatrack and P-Web are in the top-ten matches. [Razz]
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Means we are the bests.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

What's a "hentai" [Confused]

If we cannot find this phrase in pop culture, can we find the first appearance of this phrase (or close variant of it) in a work of literature.

Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm shattered! I was so sure it was Big... [Cry]
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Hentaï I don't know, isn't there Mentai in Dune ?
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm willing to serve as Chief Debunker for all the "I'm sure it's in" theories. I don't think it's ever ben said, not that precise quote. No one has yet been able to provide an exact quote, in context, for verification.

Similar quotes that could contribute to the familiarity of this one:

Moe: What's yer watch say?
Curly: It don't say nuthin', you gotta look at it.
any number of Three Stooges movies

Charlie: What's it do?
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, said in several different ways, but never with an answer resembling our puzzle

Colin Pillock: So, which of them is it, Mr. Perrin? A social venture for the benefit of mankind? Purely a commercial venture? Or a con trick?
Reginald Perrin: Yes. It's all three of them. That's the beauty of it.
The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin

Mrs. Peacock: What does your husband do?
Mrs. White: Nothing.
Mrs. Peacock: Nothing?
Mrs. White: Well, he just lies around on his back all day.
Miss Scarlet: Sounds like hard work to me.
Clue

Homer: What does it do?
Marge: It doesn't do anything.
Homer: No really, come on.
Marge: If it does anything, it's doing it right now.
The Simpsons

Janet: What have you done to Brad!
Frank: Nothing. Why, do you think I should?
Rocky Horror Picture Show

Spock: Weren't those a gift from Dr. McCoy?
Kirk: And they will be again. That's the beauty of it.
Star Trek IV, The Voyage Home

It invokes the kind of internally-consistent, bizarre-from-the-outside logic we're familiar with these sources and from Hitchhiker's Guide, The Animaniacs, Cheers, Monty Python, and a zillion other places. But I don't think that quote, as it's listed, has been said.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure Thalia's hatrack thread was the first incarnation of this question on the web. The imdb thread by ssywak seems to have spawned many others through the continuing interest in this question =)
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

*evil bump* [Taunt]
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for dragging me into this conundrum! I'm just glad I haven't spent the entire last year dwelling on this. [Big Grin]

Here's a couple of items I've found through Google:

quote:
It is most definitely from "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy". I've been watching it and it came up when someone was using a machine. The alien fella says (after being asked 'What does it do') "It doesnt do anything, thats the beauty of it".
When asked if he was sure:

quote:
Its confirmed. Rewinded the DVD and played it again. A straight quote from that film.
Louisville Scene says:

quote:
Name......: (Anonymous)
Question..:
"What does it do?"
"It doesn't DO anything. That's the beauty of it!"
It's from The Simpsons in the episode where Homer's half brother (I think, maybe step brother) Herb Powell is explaining his invention. He is talking about the 'drinking' bird and Homer asks, "What does it do?"

Thank you for answering that question for our readers. Judith Egerton

I don't own either of these, so I can't confirm or deny, but there's too many Hitchhiker fans on here for that first one to be right, aren't there?
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
At this point I'll believe an answer when someone gives the position of the quote by minutes-into-the-film and puts a clip on the web. Until then, all answers are suspect.

Dagonee
*It wasn't in Bubba Hotep, though. We can cross that off the list. [Smile]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
*bumped for posterity

[Evil Laugh]

This thread should be Landmarked. It is Hatrack's Landmark.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, CT [Smile] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
not until we get the solution.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but Landmark stories never are really over, are they?
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I still say this can easily be added to the Ender's Game script, which would close the loop nicely.

All over the country, people will cheer at that line, and 95% of the people in the theater will have no clue why.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Now that would be awesome.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
For the last time, we have a solution.

Repeat after me: The line does not exist. It is a collective delusion.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Everyone knows that, I think. The point is that we should put it somewhere, just for fun [Smile] .
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps everyone here knows that. [Evil]

And it should totally get inserted into EG (or the new Hitchhiker's would work). Confuse the heck out of all those crazy internet people.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1702332

-Trevor

Edit: For code

[ March 28, 2005, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Further proof that the programmers of the Matrix do indeed have a sense of humor and reality as we know it is a lie.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool site, Trevor. I think I went there years ago but forgot about it. It's a trivia lover's dreamsite. I liked this node: definition of normal number , which also explains the Infinite Monkeys Theorem.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
OOO! I know!!!

"Throw Momma off the Train"! I'm almost CERTAIN!

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
...Have we reached a final, absolute, correct verdict yet?
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Better than inserting this quote into some movie in the future, if I ever write a screenplay I will insert quotes that are very very similar but not quite it interspersed throughout several different scenes, to frustrate everyone further. Maybe have the actual quote as a stinger at the end of the credits.

"What does it do?"
"Do? I don't know."

"What does it do?"
"Do? It's just sort of beautiful."

"What does it do?"
"Do? It doesn't DO anything. That's the-" *car crashes through room, speaker is shot, or other sudden violent interruption.*

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Cruel, cruel man. [Razz]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the original question of "What does it do? It doesn't do anything, that's the beauty of it." It's from the movie Our Man Flint. An American version of James Bond.
Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

So...that's a 'no', I suppose?
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it isn't.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I googled... head is now dizzy... I try not to be TOO pesimistic, but in this case...

Everyone give up. There is no hope.

It seems people on the net have been trying to find the source of this quote since at least May 2003

Some of the particularly interesting threads that discuss this:

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=75;t=000868

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=32;t=000374

(someone in that last thread thought it came from Ender's Game because a google search brought up a thread on Philoticweb... [Big Grin] )

A few sites with movie scripts:

http://www.imsdb.com/
http://scifiscripts.com/
http://www.allmoviescripts.com/
http://www.joblo.com/moviescripts.php
http://www.moviequotes.com/

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL. Ok, I just checked the date on THIS thread and it preceeds the others! Duh.

Well, someone better put the line in a movie soon. Seems like I *did* hear it in the new version of Willy Wonka...

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
I have asked the 100 hour board (http://theboard.byu.edu/index.php?area=about) and if they turn up stumped then I am willing to give up.
Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

I too could've sworn I heard it in the new Willy Wonka, but I'm also thinking Red Dwarf or a Mel Brooks film.
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a line in the simpsons that sounds familier, this one:

Homer: What does it do?
Marge: It doesn't do anything.
Homer: No really, come on.
Marge: If it does anything, it's doing it right now.

It also sounds like it could've came from Third Rock from the Sun, or Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy though...

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
The person who bumped this thread should be shot. Jonathan Howard, you are on my list. And I don't mean Christmas.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm after searching, I now think it could've also come from Calvin and Hobbes.

So which forum was the first that asked this question anyway?

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon_Snow
Member # 8911

- posted      Profile for Jon_Snow   Email Jon_Snow         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to say...the line comes from nowhere. Surely the IMDb would have the quote somewhere, you know they have all the clever and memorable quotes from every movie you could think of. And don't you think at least ONE person in the world would be able to recall EXACTLY where it came from? Once more, for all to hear, THE LINE DOES NOT EXIST outside of the crazed search for its origin.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I take responsibility for linking it in the Juvenile Jokes thread.

[Taunt]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Spiderman: The Lizard Sanction by Diane Duane, G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1995, hardback, p. 143.

quote:
Peter looked from it to Kavanagh. "What's it do?"
"Do? It doesn't do anything. It just sits there."

Closest I've ever seen, so I thought I'd post it.
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
My big thread on IMDB is...gone!

I just bought "Mudd's Women" from e-bay. I'll let you all know what I find.

But it's definitely NOT from "I, Mudd," or "Trouble with Tribbles."

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.