FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If I like Josh Groban and trade crepe recipes with another guy... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: If I like Josh Groban and trade crepe recipes with another guy...
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no opinion of the voice; I have quite literally never heard a note.

[Frown] Music is not currently a big part of my life. I HATE advertising, and go to great lengths to avoid it. The radio stations play the same crap, and are stuffed with ads. Ergo, I listen to NPR in the car. I do not believe in file sharing, and I refuse to pay more for a CD than for a DVD with extras. My musical friends are currently scattered from me (and I from them), so I don't know really to listen for. You can't read about music. I hardly watch television, don't have cable (no MTV), and I mute the commercials. If it doesn't show up on West Wing, Gilmore Girls, or Scrubs, I'm not going to hear about it.

Basically, listening to all the new music out there would take so much energy and money from me, I have given up. I have accepted this. It is something I regret, but I don't see a free, sans-advertising solution at the moment.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

- posted      Profile for Caleb Varns   Email Caleb Varns         Edit/Delete Post 
I've listened to tracks 5 and 12, now, and I offer this:

For a 21-year-old, the kid's got potential. He needs to get his voice out of his head and a little more grounded in his chest. And for god's sake, if you're going to sing *this* kind of music for a living, you need to sing your vowels correctly--or at the very least, consistently. Because he shoves his soft pallet into his nose when he enters the passagio, his higher notes sound totally unnatural.

But the potential is there (right now, anyway... his voice is still changing). It would also help if he could improve his phrasing. A lot of his melodies end up the aural equivalent of an ocean wave. Up. Down. Up. Down. I'm bored already.

[Smile]

Posts: 1307 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Okay, I listened to much of the first album.

Yes, Patrick, that's pretty gay. [Razz] Sort of like Andrea Bocelli - great voice, but he's an Italian Barbra Streisand. I say that having loved the words to "You're still you." and JG's voice on "To Where You Are."

*still listening* Okay, I LOVE male singing voices. [Smile]

[ April 07, 2003, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Oh, well no wonder I liked the melody. It's Richard Marx. [Smile] When I was 13, I figured out the melodies to my favorite Richard Marx songs on my flute, and whenever I got frustrated with practicing, I'd default to "Right here waiting for you."
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
JK, he didn't start training till he was about 15-16 and recorded most of that album at 19.

Not bad for a kid with little to no training.

Kat, me too! Men that can sing like that are just....yummy. [Smile]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea, Caleb.

Oh, and Kayla: [Razz]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

- posted      Profile for Caleb Varns   Email Caleb Varns         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see that link there yet...
Posts: 1307 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

That's a wacky message board. I'm trying to figure it out. Anyway, here's the link, Caleb: http://pub82.ezboard.com/fjoshgrobanfrm3.showMessageRange?topicID=6302.topic&start=361&stop=378
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn you Jon, I was SO going to do that!!
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Mwahahahahahaha!
Feyd Baron
Member # 1407

- posted      Profile for Feyd Baron   Email Feyd Baron         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally prefer Blintzes. No question of not being french there.

Feyd

Posts: 1000 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Did anyone take the time to read the other responses in that thread?

[Eek!]

why...how...wha...how...wha?!?

What...I can't...I just can't even form coherent thoughts. I'll get back to you.

[Eek!]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

"Just listen and become a Grobanite. Spread the Josh."

*cracks up*

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
I know I already told you this, but this is a reminder.
I'm coming to the Hollywood Bowl to see you. And I have never been to CA., so now you know how special you are to me.

I will be in the Terrace seating section (good seats) sitting with some other grobanites. So watch for us and I know you will.

(emphasis hers)

*suddenly feeling much better about own level of fan-girl geekdom, having never written anything close to this to Uncle Orson*

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Those people deserved the burnination they received.
enjeeo
Member # 2336

- posted      Profile for enjeeo   Email enjeeo         Edit/Delete Post 
T

On the 'anything in crepes' thing, I found the most delicious thing the other day in a bakery in Kyoto. It was basically just sweet potato (maybe with a little flour or milk mixed in to make it smoother) wrapped up in a sweet crepe. So good!!!

enj

Posts: 2451 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
So, is someone going to post their wonderful crepe recipe or not?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I just listened to the track "The Prayer"

I think Charlotte Church did a good job, but Andrea Bocelli is much better with that song than Groban.

Yes, I like Bocelli's voice. [Wink]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

I also tend to think of Bocelli as a hack. [Frown]

Well, I actually respect the man's talent and hardship, and there are parts of his voice that are... shall we say, unique... and I even own his sacred arias album.

But that's because they're sacred arias, some of which are hard to come by with decent production quality.

My opinions aren't the most important, though. I'm one of those snobs that can actually list the differences between Luciano Pavarotti and Franco Corelli (Franco is my personal fave, btw).

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that board is a stalker's paradise.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Authentic French Crepes:
a recipe from Annie with some smug musical advice.

Step one:
Turn on Josh Groban

Step two:
melt 2 tbsp. butter in a large flat pan (you're melting an ingredient and greasing the pan at the same time.) Pour into mixing bowl where you'll add everything else with a whisk.

Step three:
Beat 6 eggs

Step four:
Beat your roommate for recommending the Josh Groban CD. Take it out and use it as a spoonrest - you don't want to get batter everywhere.

Step five:
Add 2 cups milk, 1 teaspoon genuine mexican vanilla (they don't make vanilla in France), and while you're in the mood, put on some genuine mexican music - by someone who writes their own songs and plays instruments.

Step six:
Add a dash of this, 1/2 cup unrefined sugar (it's better for you), and whisk in 2 cups of flour.

Step seven:
Pour batter, about 1/3 cup at a time into hot (medium high) buttered frying pan. Rotate pan until it's spread out and thin. Avoid this.

Step eight:
You'll run out of music before you get all the crepes cooked. To be authentic, listen to something Breton- hey, they brought us crepes, King Arthur and funny hats. Isn't this better than opera wannabes?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Crepes
1/2 C all-purpose flour
2 eggs, well-beaten
2 t peach syrup or apple juice (the original recipe calls for brandy or something -- surprisingly enough, I don't keep brandy on hand)
2 T powdered sugar
3/4 C milk
1 t butter, melted

Sift flour and add to eggs and fruit juice. Fold in sugar, alternating with milk. Add butter. Beat well with electric mixer. Cook them in traditional crepe fashion.

Raspberry filling
1 3 oz. package cream cheese
1/4 C raspberry jam
1 T sour cream
1 T powdered sugar
1/2 t vanilla

Mix 'n' chill. You'll probably want to double the recipe, though.

Chocolate sauce
1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
1 6 oz. package semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 C butter
2 C sifted powdered sugar

Mix milk, chocolate chips, and butter. Bring to boil, stirring constantly, till chips are melted. Add sugar slowly. Bring back to boil; boil for 8 minutes, stirring constantly.

------------

I feel obligated to point out that the Bretons who brought us crepes and funny hats aren't the same Bretons who brought us King Arthur. The former live in Brittany, France, while the latter live in Wales. And what's up with that Breton music? They're speaking French, not Breton!

[ April 08, 2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
The best crepes I ever made were actually Mexican. Actually, I made it up, but it should be Mexican:

Puree a bunch of mangoes
Add cinnamon and sugar, so make a mangosauce. You know, like applesauce, but made of mangoes.

Melt some dark chocolate, add cinnamon and cayenne pepper (ole!).

Fill crepes with mangosauce, drizzle with xocolatl caliente, and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Excelente!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

They must not love Josh too much, they haven't come here to defend him.

I don't think writers spur on such fan-girl mania as singers and actors. I mean can you imagine making a banner that said "Become an Orsonite, Spread the Cardness?"

It's just not done. Usually the giddiness is sparked by a character. Who would devote websites to Orlando Bloom if he had never been cast as Legolas? The problem with singers and actors, is they ARE their character to an extent. With an author, there is a separation there.

Most of the hysterical, wait in line at midnight pre-teens describe themselves as Harry Potter fans, not JK Rowling fans.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

Isn't that terrible, though? If someone from Groban's website had come in to hatrack and burniated my geeky buddies, I'd be causing Grobanian Havoc.
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
oh man, i so wish someone would appear from a fan site just to defend josh groban.

seriously, that would make my day complete.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Maybe I should do some more burninating and see if I can get them all riled up.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Chocolate Dessert Crepe Batter

3 eggs
1 cup flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1 1/4 cup buttermilk (or 1 1/4 cup regular milk with 1 Tablespoon lemon juice)
2 Tablespoons melted butter

In mixing bowl:

Beat eggs. Add flour, sugar and cocoa alternately with buttermilk, beating with whisk until smooth. Beat in melted butter.

Refridgerate for 1 hour.

Cook on upside down crepe griddle.

Mmmmmm.... chocolate crepes...

Belle
Member # 2314

Burninate Jon Boy!

Burninate!

Show them what jatraqueros are made of!

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Hmm. Maybe that was too much. Now I feel like I should apologize or something. I'm a dragon, not a troll!
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
From the Josh Groban web site....

quote:
Hey guys, it was just a little fun. A friend dared me, and I took the challenge. No harm intended. I don't even know who Josh Groban is. Anyway, sorry.
Dude... I can't believe you sold me out. Now Josh will never trade crepe recipes with me...

[Frown]

Your Mini-Pat status is on shaky ground......

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
I second T's comment about using "rimshot" in a thread asking whether you're getting more gay.

Thankfully, Patrick, the fact that you were skillfully able to sidestep your Freudian slip keeps your heterosexual facade intact... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Sold you out? I did nothing of the sort. I didn't blame you for it. I felt bad, and I didn't want to do something that would get me banned from Hatrack. But don't worry; I'll redeem my Mini-Pat status at the get-together Saturday.

But you forgot to point out the funniest part of that thread, Pat:
quote:
....PS....Please do NOT register at this other board and respond...That is what they are waiting for..
" DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS !!! "

Yeah, 'cause there's a conspiracy by all of Hatrack to lure Grobanites over here and devour them. That's what trolls do, you know.

[ April 08, 2003, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
They'd probably stay.

You're such a troll.

[Wink]

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're such a troll.
Bite me.
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon boy. Get it right: --I--
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

Hey mack: 00
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharkey
Member # 4336

- posted      Profile for Sharkey           Edit/Delete Post 
--I--
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn skippy. [Razz]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharkey
Member # 4336

**bites Snarky**
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Thanks EG, I was getting worried there for a second... glad to know it was seconded.

By the way, in about 15 minutes, Im going to start making some crepes. Darn thread made me hungry.

Sharkey
Member # 4336

*still has no idea what 'rimshot' means*

*to me, a rimshot was the snare drum followed by a cymbal to signify when something is supposed to be funny.*

T_Smith
Member # 3734

*pats Pat* Of course it is. You keep it that way too.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the primary connotations arise from the first syllable, rather than the second. Though once the first's connotations are realized, the second takes a whole new meaning.

[ April 08, 2003, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharkey
Member # 4336

Ahh.... [Embarrassed]
T_Smith
Member # 3734

*sits back eating his orange and banana creame filled crepes*

Left over crepes for the morning. Im thinking scrambled eggs, chopped up bacon, cheese, peppers and onions.

Snarky
Member # 4406

*snarks Sharkey*
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
The South Park movie could also help you clear things up. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Okay, now I'm starving. And I need to buy a crepe-maker.

This is why I avoid advertising! [Smile]

Caleb Varns
Member # 946

lol - The Grobanites think jatraqueoros are trolls!

What's happening to the internet community, if one message board can't communicate via fluff wih another message board? Especially if the later is exclusively a fluff message board to begin with!

[Roll Eyes]

Think about it, though. We may have inadvertently stumbled onto a new hatrack recruiting method. Maybe we should make tracts, too, giving prospective posters a bullet list of choices, running down Hatrack, Ornery, Navoo... and maybe even pweb. Well, maybe not pweb. But we could mock it up with a dental plan and vacation benefits. Free newbie training!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.