FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is the stupidest thing you have done? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What is the stupidest thing you have done?
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not talking about what you have regretted most in your life. This thread is about stupidity. We all do it and now it is time to admit it. I’ll start.

Last Saturday while cutting the lawn, a patch 20’ x 20’, I did probably the stupidest thing I have ever done. My oldest boy was running the lawn mower and it was my job to trim the edges with my gas powered weed eater. My wife had come out followed by my other two children to help with the weeding. They were standing around me while I futilely tried to start the weed eater. As I pulled and pulled on the draw string, my wife got closer and closer, adding wisdom as to why the stupid thing would not start. Finally, when I was about to send the infernal piece of metal flying into the street, it sputtered to life. Not wanting it to die I open the throttle, bring the machine to it maximum rpms. My grip on the machine was wrong and I needed to turn it around to bring it into use. With my wife standing to my right I brought, unthinkingly, the head around toward my own body. The guard caught on the ground between my feet leaving my right foot exposed to the rapidly turning plastic green whips of pain. Here is where the stupidity rises to the level of being classed as the stupidest thing I have done. I was mowing the lawn bare-foot. So there I was standing with the throttle wide open thinking this hurts. By the time I was able to get my foot out of the way of the flying plastic thread I had broken the skin on the top of my foot.

My wife being the wonderful person she is offered to finish the lawn for me. I, being the typical male, said that it did not hurt and I could finish. I did finish. Now each day at work my socks stick to my lashings, and when I take the off each evening it rips the existing scabs, renewing the pain of Saturday.

So that’s my story what’s your?

[ September 02, 2003, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Head Ditch Digger ]

Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm....

Where to start...

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cassandra
Member # 4566

- posted      Profile for Cassandra   Email Cassandra         Edit/Delete Post 
The stupidest thing I have ever done I just did yesterday.

Wandering around New York with three other friends for a whole day even though you know you feel like cr** is not a good idea. I came home and was pretty much delirious with a really high fever for the rest of the night. I still feel like cr**. Apparently, I have tonsilitis. Or something.

Another stupid thing: Not studying for my physics final

Posts: 594 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, mowing the lawn barefoot is pretty dumb, however, I'd have to say that after the first day of having your cuts stick to your socks, repeating the same thing the next day and then doing it again the next day might be even dumber. Have you considered getting some surgical gauze and antibiotic cream?

The list of incredibly stupid things I've done is so long and so many of them rank right up there at the top that it would be impossible to decide on which is the most stupid.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a teenager, my father and I were working on rebuilding the carbuerator in my little car. I was very proud of myself for having done most of the work. As I was finishing up the last few bolts, my father half jokingly said, "Be careful not to twist the heads off the bolts." I responded the usual teenage response - "I know, Dad!" only to twist the head right off the last bolt about 10 seconds later. We laughed about it for a little while, before looking for the tap so we could get it out. [Smile]

Another:
One day, while I was at ASU, I became really annoyed with the shoes I was wearing (they were rubbing my feet raw in spots), so I decided to take them off and wander around campus barefoot. I had done this before and didn't think much of it. At the end of my classes, I started walking the 1/2 mile to my car. It was a warm August day. By the time I got to the parking structure, I realized that the bottoms of my feet hurt. I looked down and realized I had second degree burns covering the bottoms of my feet. Because of the thickness of the calluses on my feet (I go barefoot all the time), I hadn't realized I was burning them until it was too late. The three flights of stairs to the level I had parked on and then driving (my manual transmission) car to work (3 miles away) was excruciating. I ended up having to skip classes for the next two days because it hurt too badly to walk. I just went to work, wearing only socks on my feet, and rolled myself around on my rolling chair (amid much teasing from my coworkers, of course).

[ June 11, 2003, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so, I fell out of some playground equiment when I was a kid and broke my left arm. Then it snowed and I wanted to go sledding, but my arm was still in a cast. I went anyway and, being an idiot, hit a tree, breaking my right arm.

The school nurse decided that my parents must be abusing me. I had to go to a counsler and convince him that no, my parents don't hit me and I am, in fact, an idiot.

That was not fun.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
Kayla, let me give a insight into my reasoning. I am lazy. Taking the the time to put gauze on and keeping it clean is to mauch work. And there would be the chance of it not leaving scars, and this is not acceptible on so many levels. I need the reminder next time I decide to mow the lawn bare foot. The pain will be forgotten but the scars will remind me.
Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming that anyone here gave a damn about anyone but themselves.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

[Frown]

What happened m2?

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BebeChouette
Member # 4991

- posted      Profile for BebeChouette   Email BebeChouette         Edit/Delete Post 
What Kayla said: what is wrong msquared?
Posts: 334 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

You already figured it out I think.

I got better response at a place with 1/10th the active posters.

I guess if you aren't part of the in crowd here you don't count.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I figured it out, and quite frankly I don't think it's a big deal.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucifer Morningstar
Member # 3274

- posted      Profile for Lucifer Morningstar   Email Lucifer Morningstar         Edit/Delete Post 
Aha! And thus a fun, light thread is derailed into an attack on the nature of the community.

I win.

Posts: 41 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

: figures it out :

Oh, come on now!! Don't get all pissy because you didn't get a bazillion responses on your announcement. [Razz] It's a bit extreme to call people selfish and elitist because they didn't give you warm fuzzy hugs for your birthday!

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Certain people post celebration threads all the time. I post one and got 3 responses in 4 hours?

Sorry about answering the question posted on the thread.

Go back to your regularly scheduled fluff.

msquared

Ayelar
Member # 183

Shouldn't you be off celebrating with your wife instead of worrying about the number of responses your post on Hatrack got?

:: still a little miffed ::

Lucifer Morningstar
Member # 3274

- posted      Profile for Lucifer Morningstar   Email Lucifer Morningstar         Edit/Delete Post 
And, thus, resolution fails to be made.

Welcome.

Posts: 41 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

At work and she has a 120 page environmental site report due tomorrow. We will be celebrating next week. She had the same thing happen on her birthday. It is starting to bother her. Also at work, not a card, not a ballon, not a cake, which is done for other people who have birthdays here.

I will go pout someplace else.

msquared

Ayelar
Member # 183

Okay, and to offer slightly less miffed and slightly more constructive criticism, I went and looked at the last two "announcement" threads. I believe both got responses not because they were in the "in crowd" [Roll Eyes] but because they both started with long, informative posts. Mooselet's was very cute and entertaining, while Slash's gave us a lot to respond to. As with any thread, a simple one-line statement isn't going to garner much response. This, of course, does not mean that people don't read and appreciate it. It's not a contest.

So, maybe if you'd included a little more in your post, there would have been more to respond to.

Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess if you aren't part of the in crowd here you don't count.
m^2,

There is not "in crowd" here in the 'rack as far as I can tell. The first day I was here I was listened to just as much as the millenium posters. That's just silly. [Wink] [Razz]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

I've occasionally been in a situation like the one you describe with your wife, where other people get balloons and flowers and stuff for random silly things and I never do.

With me, I think I send out the message that things like that aren't important to me. I don't do things like that for other people (a big one), I'm not generally a silly kind of person, and when it comes to frilly girly things, I'm pretty obviously not into frilly girly things. So why would anyone go to the trouble?

When I've presented myself as interested in such little traditions and made a big deal out of giving little gifts to other people, my birthday has been remembered and celebrated.

Overall, I think I prefer not getting balloons from my coworkers on my birthday to having to get balloons and cake and giggle and smile and talk about pets and kids and doctor's appointments and flower arrangements for other people the rest of the year. But then, I wouldn't mind the change. [Smile]

msquared
Member # 4484

Ditch Digger,

I apologize for derailing your thread. I was wallowing in a bout of self pity.

Please, if any has any more comments to make about my little tantrum please put in on a thread that I have started.

Mea Culpa.

msquared

Lucifer Morningstar
Member # 3274

::attempst to rerail thread::

The stupidest thing I ever did was underestimate my father. I'm still paying for that one.

Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
I apologize for derailing your thread. I was wallowing in a bout of self pity.

*Wallows in pout puddle after m^2, drags him out, pats back [Wink] *
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm....well I didn't post because I was sleeping... [Wink] [Big Grin]

As for the stupest thing I've ever done...you should ask my sister, she'll have a more colorful account than me. [Razz]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I jammed a tic-tac up my nose once. [Big Grin]
Hobbes
Member # 433

Not to re-derail the thread, but for your outstanding and continual use of smilies Nick, I award you the smilier of the week award. [Cool] Congrats! [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Hey no slippy thready, I'm just trying to think of my stupidest thing (and it's not for lack of choices [Big Grin] ).

[EDIT: This was in response to a deleted post...]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ June 11, 2003, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

msquared
Member # 4484

I did something some might consider stupid about 2-1/2 months ago. I could tell you but then I would have to kill you. [Smile]

msquared

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have replied earlier, but I don't think I have ever done anything even midly close to stupid. [Smile] Sorry.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

Sorry Hobbes, I decide what needed to be said needed to be said on M^2's thread. So I deletd the post here.
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

Annie, is that because you live a sheltered life or fear risk? [Smile]
Hobbes
Member # 433

Hey, not a problem, just gives me another chance to look stupid. [Wink] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

If I keep making the same stupid mistake over and over can it additivley become the stupidest thing I've ever done, or does this have to be one incident?

Hobbes [Smile]

Kayla
Member # 2403

m2, 2 1/2 months ago? Really? That long?

Hobbes, like he really needs to delete a post to do that? [Wink]

HDD, some of us are just more perfect than others. [Razz]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Tic Tac up nose--Ahh refreshing.

And you don't have to worry about other peoples clean breath, since all you can smell is tic-tac.

Stupidist thing I've done: Hmmm. well, to 50 anyway. Clothes dryer door was open. I reached in, clothes were still damp. I closed door and set it to dry for another 15 minutes. Then I heard a distant cat calling. Went upstairs, to front door to let cat in. No cat. Went to back door to let cat in. No cat. I could hear cat in distance. Went back down stairs and opened dryer door. Cat stumbled out of dryer.

The look that cat gave me was the scaryest I ever encountered (until my wife caught me watching Baywatch).

[ June 11, 2003, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Good point Kayla.

I've come up with ths stupidest thing I've done: listen to what Kayla has to say. [Razz] [Razz] [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Kayla
Member # 2403

Hobbes, you know, the thing I was going to list was "giving advice to men." They either ignore it, or in some masochistic, passive/agressive move, do the opposite.
msquared
Member # 4484

Kayla,

Some people might call it stupid. My wife is starting to think so.

msquared

Hobbes
Member # 433

Well at least you think I'm a man. [Razz] [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Kayla
Member # 2403

m2, I have no idea what that means. I was merely pointing out that I don't think it's been 2 1/2 months since you've done something stupid. You are, after all, a man. You can't help but do something stupid at least once a day and something incredibly stupid at least once a week. [Smile]
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I broke my arm on my honeymoon because I was being careless. Of all the times to break an arm, your honeymoon is not the time to do it.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

And typical of a female, kayla is right there to point out everytime you do something stupid.

Z - If I was not scared of what the answer might be I would ask what careless act led to you breaking your arm.

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this is the absolute stupidest thing I've ever done, but I used to have this habit of opening the cabinets in the kitchen while putting away the dishes and then forgetting they were open. One of the times I ran into one of them, I hit myself between the eyes so hard that I actually fell down.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, believe it or not, my life is rife with stupidity.

I was in Chicago once for a conference, staying downtown at the Palmer House, when my friend and I decided we wanted to go out and hear some live blues. Well, I was a few months shy of being 21, so we couldn't get into anywhere to hear music. It was now 11:00 or midnight or so, and we thought we'd stroll around downtown Chicago. A couple of white girls, all alone. We turned a block and wandered down a street and suddenly there was no more public artwork or fountains or streetlamps or smiley hotel porters. There were a lot of bums and low riders and scary industrial sounds and gunshots. I don't know how we managed to find our way back to the hotel alive, but we decided to be a little more prudent once we realized that maybe this place was a little different than Bozeman.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Ahh,

Kayla, the thread is the stupidest thing, not just stupid things. I did the stupidest thing 2-1/2 months ago. I continue to do stupid things on a regular basis, but they do not classify as stupidest.

msquared

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
saxon, I have done that as well. I've haven't been knocked over yet, though.

The broken arm happened while skiing. I got careless and wasn't paying attention and hit one of those drifts kicked up by snowboarders. I suppose I was even stupider thinking it wasn't broken and that it was a bad sprain (it happened right below the wrist).

I went back to our condo and put ice on it thinking my wife was upstairs taking a nap. After a half hour, I went to wake her up, but she wasn't there. Her purse and jacket was there and the door had been unlocked when I came in. Now I'm thinking I've really screwed up my wrist and to top it off, my wife has been kidnapped. [Eek!] Luckily the shock I was in prevented me from freaking out to much.

I found her at the base of the mountain waiting for me to finish skiing. She took one look at my pale white face and took me straight to the clinic. If you ever need a broken limb set, I recommend going to a clinic at a ski resort. They know their stuff. [Cool]

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

m2,

quote:
I did something some might consider stupid about 2-1/2 months ago.
I wasn't referring to the title. Sheesh. [Razz]
msquared
Member # 4484

Kayla,

Yes but that stupid thing from 2-1/2 months ago rates as maybe the stupidest thing I have done.

msquared

Kayla
Member # 2403

Well you should've said so. To just throw out there that you did something stupid 2 1/2 months ago. . . well, we all knew that there had to be a more recent example.

Dan Raven, surely the look for the idiocy of the show and not the bikinis, right?

HDD, of course! Where would y'all be without telling you all the stupid things you were doing? You'd still be doing them and we'd still be living in caves! Someone has to point you in the right direction. [Wink]

Zgator, I'm so glad you had a good answer for that. My imagination was running wild! [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.