FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How to create a real cool thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How to create a real cool thread
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
Professor Pat Poyfair will teach this lesson....

Lesson #1 -- The headline.

Many newbies have made the mistake of spending a lot of time and mental energy in making an incredibly cool topic, only to have it fall endlessly down to the depths of page 121 and finally oblivion without a single response.

The problem? The headline sucked. It lacked any punchy verb or obscure word to draw the reader in.

For instance.

Many years ago, Olivet started a thread entitled "The joys of a freshly shaved scrotum." Now, wouldn't that just make you want to open the thread? To this day, I can't remember what the topic was about, but that title still makes me shudder today like it did long ago.

Take time to put some serious thought into your title, and you WILL be noticed. Now this is not to say you should swear, or be crude or write something so stupid people will just ignore you. Just take your time, and it will come.

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Lesson #2

Say something very funny and / or controversial in the first post. There are some really bad ways to start a thread: For example, "George Bush sucks. What do you think?" is a very bad first post.

If you post a link, be sure to provide some commentary and consider quoting an excerpt or two. When creating a fluff thread, do something original... And be funny.

For example, be like Bob Scopatz. Or Pat. These two individuals are currently neck and neck in the race for the "All Time Bestest and Coolest, Also Funniest, Threads Ever" award.

Bad first posts include:

1. "Hey, who thinks they should make an Ender's Game movie?"
2. "Abortion and / or homosexuality is wrong. Burn in hell, sinners!"
3. "a/s/l?"

[ June 19, 2003, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Ethics Gradient ]

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

Holy Cow E.G. you barely beat me here, Mr. Member Number 878!

--Member number 879

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Pshaw. 300 point behind the times losers...
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, never noticed that! Freaky stuff. Maybe we're both Cedrios. [Wink] That would be the revelation to end all revelations.

And Slash... We're also at least 300 points better looking. So [Razz]

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

Lesson #3 -- Stroke a few egos along the way.
(See Ethics' post above for a great example!)

If you want to make sure to get a lot of posts on your thread be sure to pass out a few phrases like "HEY KAYLA! CAN YOU LOOK SOMETHING UP FOR ME?" or "David Bowles, what's a meme?" or "I'm wondering what Tom Davidson thinks about this" or "Hey Ralphie! you totally rock!" or "Does Belle know her LOTR's trivia or what?" or "Tresopax, I finally found someone who agrees exactly with my bizarre political views" or 'For example, be like Bob Scopatz. Or Pat. These two individuals are currently neck and neck in the race for the "All Time Bestest and Coolest, Also Funniest, Threads Ever" award.'

Doing this accomplishes a two-fold purpose. First of all, these people will notice you more. Second of all, they will now start to watch your thread just to be sure someone else praises them in one way or another.

[ June 19, 2003, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Pat ]

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
EG, if you turned out to be Cedrios, I would have to start liking him again. Please don't let that happen. Neither of us wants that.

*whispers*

(was that flattering enough Pat?)

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

That was great Slash. You've always been my most favorite Hatracker.

And now, Slash is hooked to this thread.

**bows**

[ June 19, 2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Pat ]

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

I can honestly say that you, Pat, are not the Hatracker I most want to see shot out of a cannon at a brick wall. And I deeply admire your choice in Internet Bulletin Boards. And I have never been close enough to detect an unpleasant odor, so in my experience, you do not stink.
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some of my titles, to support Pat's theory:

LOTR Wenches (a magnet to LOTR fans; I never expected this one to go big, but it did.)

It's Not Okay To Be Pretty (a somewhat controversial thread about appearances; I actually thought very hard about a title that would draw attention)

Mommy Bugga Bugga (appropriate to the topic and weird enough that people would check it out)

Current titles that intrigue me:

This is not the country I ordered - may I return it? by ssywak: I can tell this will be a political thread with interesting discussions and unique points of view.

Out of context by celia60: This one is bound to be hilarious.

Off-topic Abortion Question by Geoff Card: Okay, how can this kind of question be off-topic? I find it irresistible to open.

There are no other titles on the current first page that are just begging to be opened.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

Lesson #4 - Be sure to make your thread self-referential

If you want people to not just open your thread and read the last two posts but actually the whole thing, you need to make sure that there are jokes littered throughout the thread that refer to other jokes made earlier in the thread. For example, "be like Bob Scopatz. Or Pat. These two individuals are currently neck and neck in the race for the "All Time Bestest and Coolest, Also Funniest, Threads Ever" award."

Then, once they're hooked, they'll keep reading your thread endlessly trying to "get it" rather than reading other, competing threads.

Also, that Kayla is so hot right now.

[ June 19, 2003, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Ethics Gradient ]

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

I would like to point out that Jenny has no taste in thread titles, having failed to see the superiority of the "Movie Rules" thread.
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
the movie rules thread is, in itself, very awesome. the title leaves something to be desired.

"Movie Rules" is not very exciting. (ripping off Ebert) in parantheses is not very exciting. Perhaps...

Movie Rules: Ripping off Ebert (although that makes it seem like an ebert-centric thread)

What Makes a Movie a Good Movie?

Hot Air Balloons Make Poor Films

okay, i've drawn a blank...you need something more grabbing than Movie Rules, though, do you see what i'm saying? Honestly, i haven't posted a thread in forever. Seriously, it has to have been over a month now, maybe even two. Because a) i never have any good new thread ideas and b) when i think i might, i worry about a catchy thread title. They are essential to the success of a thread, imo.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Someone is taking this all very seriously... [Wink]
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

The sad truth is that I've been here so long, and started so many threads, that I put very little thought into my titles any more. Maybe I should start.
Pat
Member # 879

Go ahead Slash, give it a try.
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm only taking it seriously because i've oftentimes overlooked threads that turned out to be very interesting because of poor titles [Smile]
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Well, for you two, I'll give it the old college try!

*gives emphatic thumbs up and stupid grin*

Cynicism
Member # 4804

- posted      Profile for Cynicism           Edit/Delete Post 
Not that it'll work or anything...
Posts: 59 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Now THAT'S funny!

Though pessimism might be a slightly better screen nick.

[Smile]

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Lesson #5

Make sure your facts are right because someone will check them. ::whistles and looks at ceiling::

Lesson #6

Avoid flirting with Kayla, then totally ignoring her. This will drive her crazy and she will ruin more than one of your threads. Just ask Jon Boy about this one.

Lesson #7

While posting about how cool some people are, make sure you leave out some favorites. That way, you will either annoy someone into posting (telling you they are offended they didn't name you) or others will chime in as to how that kind of thread sucks because someone's feelings are bound to be hurt, and of course, a few who will tell you how they never post to that kind of thread for just that reason. [Big Grin] Not that I'm upset that I haven't been mentioned once in this thread.

Lesson #8

If after following all the rules, your thread is dying a painful death, find a relative newbie who inadvertantly posted to your thread and call him a troll/Cedrios. This is sure to bring out most of hatrack; a third defending him, a third threatening to beat him up and the last third wondering why we can't all get along.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

I've long suspected you were a Cedonym, Kayla. This clinches it!
Pat
Member # 879

Kayla is Cedrios?
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

*has started the ball rolling*

*sits back and waits for the bashers, defenders, and "can't get alongers" to show up*

Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
the #1 way to make a cool thread?

three words: blackjack and hookers

In fact, forget the blackjack! In fact, forget the thread! [Big Grin]

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Mistakes recently made by Slash.

1. He didn't mention how cool I was in earlier post.

2. He didn't start this thread, it's not dying a painful death, and I'm not a relative newbie.

Good things Slash did.

1. He mentioned Kayla.

2. He said something funny/controversial.

Bonus points for Pat for going back and editing in good things about Kayla. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

Yeah, but Pessimism is already taken. [Wink]

Kayla, #8 is just too true!

Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

Lesson #9 - Get on the Bandwagon

If someone does something cool that gets noticed, make sure you do it too. For example, see the way I also edited my earlier post to catch Kayla's attention? This was a brilliant move because it fulfilled a number of the Guaranteed Cool Thread Criteria™ (including flattery, self-referentiality and Kayla mentioning) as well as adding fuel to the ready-to-be-re-ignited Post-Editing Controversy.

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

EG, copying stuff is totally gay.

(This is a good move too. It invites a variety of responses, including a chest thumping macho rejoinder from EG, EG calling me on the fact that I am essentially copying too, and/or a horde of PC bullies coming in to say that calling people 'gay' as an insult is not nice to actual gay people.)

Pat
Member # 879

EG is gay?

Now I know why he praised me so in his first post.

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Which takes us to

Rule #10 - Trolling and Insults

If nothing else works, insult someone. The tidal wave of flames and lectures about being nice will ensure that your thread lives a long and ill tempered life. Eventually, it will even draw in a few defenders for you (there is ALWAYS at least one bleeding heart hatracker willing to defend you even if you're satan himself).

[ June 19, 2003, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Slash the Berzerker ]

Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

I'm not gay... I just happen to like men who look like George Clooney. That's all I'm saying.
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

I just wanna so, though, that, while Slash did insult me, it's really okay and I don't want everyone jumping on him. He's just misunderstood. Maybe someone could find that FAQ for newcomers thread again! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
Kayla
Member # 2403

Lesson #11

Mention some yummy thing you are now eating.

Like, right now, I'm eating s'mores. (Of course, Bob will need to pop in to tell you that Icarus and Cor have very stale Graham Crackers, some will be horribly jealous and others will tell you about what they are eating that is better.

Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

And then Tresopax will come and explain that eating is just another word for consumption and that you must, by definition, be eating sneakers made in Malaysia by small, underfed children who never get to eat McDonalds.
Kayla
Member # 2403

And mention Troubs when you mean EG or any one of the other Aussies. This is sure to raise some hackles and get most of them to post.
Kayla
Member # 2403

Lesson #13

Post the wrong lesson #. This is guaranteed to garner at least one post pointing out your mistake.

Lesson #14

Use really bad speeling/grammer. This will bring about at least a half dozen self appointed grammar nazis.

Lesson # 15

Tell everyone that you have the last post, you killed the thread, or that you don't want anymore replies. This will bring out the oppositional hatrackers who feel the need to post anyway.

BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hee hee hee...Kayla-I'll trade you my pink lemonade for your smores! ::snickers:: [Big Grin]
Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Less hun 12: Obveeusly me thred this kilt
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Lesson #... um..15:

If you really want a 30-page thread, insert the parenthetical :(a game): after your title. Examples:

Begging the Question (a game)
Think of a Lyric (a game)
Word Associations (a game)
Abortion is evil (a game)
George Bush sucks (a game)
Boost Annie's Ego (a game)
Is this Annie or Shakira? (a game)

You know.... that's what gets them going

[ June 20, 2003, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fodi
Member # 5297

- posted      Profile for Fodi   Email Fodi         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel so enlightened after reading this thread. I feel like maybe I could make a cool thread! Haha what was I thinking.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, does this thread suck.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

Now, yes. Thanks, Frisco.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
EG- what if I like women who look like George Clooney? [Wink] I'm finding this so informative. I am trying at this very moment to figure out how to present something I found droll. My only big thread was about homeschool, and it ended with a post so unbelievably bigotted that it died on the spot. Maybe I'll dig out the stinking, rotted carcass for Pat's erudite examination. I'll have to edit this if it turns out the thread was killed by one of the immortals, but it will lend purpose to my evening.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

That just means you have good taste, Pooka [Big Grin]
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Avoid flirting with Kayla, then totally ignoring her. This will drive her crazy and she will ruin more than one of your threads. Just ask Jon Boy about this one.
It's true. That darn Kayla has it out for me now. She destroys my threads whenever she can.

Lesson #16: Register a username for the express purpose of spoofing someone else. Then start a dobie of a thread that person started. For example: "Hi. My name is Sharkey" and "Hi. My name is Snarky." This is sure to make everyone like and/or dislike you. If the target of the spoof is funny and well-liked, like my evil master Patrick the Great, then you will be well on your way to Hatrack fame.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Lesson #17: Once you've made sure that people like you, start a thread about how nobody likes you. Dozens of Hatrackers will flock to your aid to tell you how wonderful you are.

Lesson #18: Start a thread that allows people to compete with one another in a (somewhat) friendly way. For example, start a thread in which all of Hatrack's bachelors (or bachelorettes) can talk about themselves and strut their stuff. This will attract the attention of members of the opposite sex, who will then want to go out with you.

Lesson #19: Get engaged, preferably to a fellow Hatracker. This will guarantee pages upon pages of congratulations and grinning emoticons.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I can't find a link, but there was a headline on people magazine that said "Kate Winslet and 4 other celebs to wed". Did that strike anyone else as funny, or only people from Utah?

That was my droll thing.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
You need to create a real cool sheep before you can create a real cool thread.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly which lessons did I follow for my Hug Thread? Or am I just cool?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.