FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How to create a real cool thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How to create a real cool thread
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie:
quote:
Lesson #... um..15:

If you really want a 30-page thread, insert the parenthetical :(a game): after your title. Examples:

Begging the Question (a game)
Think of a Lyric (a game)
Word Associations (a game)
Abortion is evil (a game)
George Bush sucks (a game)
Boost Annie's Ego (a game)
Is this Annie or Shakira? (a game)

You know.... that's what gets them going

I know, I know. I am such a trendsetter. However, I have to take issue with your ignoring the fact that "Begging the Question" is simply a brilliant thread title. This is inexcusable of you. [Mad]

Assuming that coolness is commensurate with post volume, regardless of the nature of such posts,

Lesson #20: Imply that you are about to commit suicide.

'Nuff said.

[ June 20, 2003, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: ae ]

Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
What if I have a really cool Llama? Could I make a cool thread with that? That is assuming that the llama won't kick me, spit on me, or chew on my hair before I can get near him. Stupid llamas. [Mad]

EDIT: Woah, ae and I just caused a populatione explosion of "mad" smilies. Now they can have mad sex and produce thousands of little mad smilies! It will be glorious.

[ June 20, 2003, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: WheatPuppet ]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Lesson #21: If you want to strut your writing skills stuff and are particularly bloodthirsty or funny, announce the start of a Mafia game. You can't play it here, but you are more than welcome to distract a significant portion of Hatrack away to your game.

Possible Suggested Themes for Mafia (or, the only other ones left since we've done most already):
Ballroom Dancing Mafia
Spongebob Squarepants Mafia
High School Mafia
Home Redecorating Mafia (Trading Spaces Gone Wrong)

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Lesson #22: Create a warm 'n' fuzzy thread like "Hugs for everyone who needs a hug" or "What made you happy today?" People eat these up.

[ June 20, 2003, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Man, these things breed like rabbits.

Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Lesson 23: Just be this guy.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
#24 Reference your cool thread in somebody else's thread. That way, you intrigue readers to check out your thread.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qsysue
Member # 5229

- posted      Profile for qsysue   Email qsysue         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite threads are the threads about how to make a good thread.
Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
Lesson #25 -- The Shameless bump
Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Ah, yes! There's nothing quite like the shameless bump.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bumper Car
Member # 4981

- posted      Profile for Bumper Car           Edit/Delete Post 
::vroom, vroom::

Bump!

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan, you're just cool.

*takes notes so future threads will have a decient chance at life*

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saruman
Member # 2275

- posted      Profile for Saruman           Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan has nothing to do with this thread, if anything, it was posted for his benefit.
Posts: 651 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that's success - all coolness is automatically attributed to you.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Lesson #26: Automatically attribute all coolness to yourself.
Saruman
Member # 2275

- posted      Profile for Saruman           Edit/Delete Post 
I attribute this thread's coolness to your evil master Patrick the Great. And yes, you can be his squire.
Posts: 651 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- would like to point out that Dragon was merely answering Nathan's question on page one. For those of you who obviously didn't read it. . .

quote:
Exactly which lessons did I follow for my Hug Thread? Or am I just cool?
Lesson #27.

Say something that is sure to be taken the wrong way. That way, you get at least a half dozen posts telling you what an idiot you are before you come in and explain yourself (or some nosy busybody does it for you) and then you get another half dozen apologizing for the misunderstanding. And, it's quite possible that that the thread could go on for another 3 pages or so while others, who weren't involved in the origingal misunderstanding, debate the merits raised in it, even though they don't even apply anymore.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, it was a game along the lines of "Name that movie quote or reference". It was quite fun. The title was taken from an Austin Powers movie. Dr. Evil is cool.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Lesson #28

Even if you don't have anything new to add to the discussion, chime in anyway.

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Say something that is sure to be taken the wrong way. That way, you get at least a half dozen posts telling you what an idiot you are before you come in and explain yourself (or some nosy busybody does it for you) and then you get another half dozen apologizing for the misunderstanding. And, it's quite possible that that the thread could go on for another 3 pages or so while others, who weren't involved in the origingal misunderstanding, debate the merits raised in it, even though they don't even apply anymore.

The irony, she is overflowing. [Big Grin]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I just felt like this deserved a good bump.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Lesson #25 has always been my favorite.
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is just as much for me, as it is for you, as it is for everyone who has no clue how to make a really cool thread.

Ok, so it's for me mostly.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Lesson #29:

Sleplnig ins't irpmponatt.

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Kayla- Am I the victim of one of those curel "Cedrios" plots?

Or did everyone just hate me.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Lesson #30: References to Homestarrunner.com, especially Strong Bad e-mails, are cool.
Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about that, j. I think sleeping is very important.
Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
bump for anthro
Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Bump for the 75 newbies who have registered in the last 10 days
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
\^/00+!

I follow crowd now!

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
Bumped because I miss Pat.
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys should make a Dummies book on How to create a cool thread. I'd buy it [Wink]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.