FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Descolada Theory: How we treat newbies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Descolada Theory: How we treat newbies
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I came up with this grand theory of Hatrack last night somewhere in my 15 hours of sleep (stupid mono). I need to re-read Xenocide and Children of the Mind to verify, though I'm sure most of you will be able to correct or expand on the theory as it goes.

The theory is this: different ones of us treat newbies like Novinha's children treated the Descolada. Some of them were extremely suspicious and wanted to do something right away, while others (was it Ela?) wanted to try to communicate with it and kept trying long after others had given up.

I'm not saying that this is a good or bad thing, I'm just making an observation. I think OSC actually managed to demonstrate a pretty good cross section of human nature in that reaction, and we are mirroring the reaction here on Hatrack in how we treat newbies.

What do you think Jatraqueros?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
policyvote
Member # 3044

- posted      Profile for policyvote   Email policyvote         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I don't think this community treats newbies any differently than any other long-lived forum with a fairly stable population.

Except, of course, that every newbie intro thread turns into six pages of debate about how we treat newbies.

Peace
policy

Posts: 341 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HatrackChess
Member # 5379

- posted      Profile for HatrackChess   Email HatrackChess         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. I just like to call 'em n00bs.
Posts: 200 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
weird...When I read the first part of your title it brought back images of a dream I had last night. It's been years since I read Speaker, Xenocide, or Children of the Mind, but last night I had a dream that was set on Lusitania. I only know it was there because people were talking about being infected with a disease, and having it contained and not cured.

My dreams have been unusual lately. They have been set in the world of different books, movies, and TV shows, but the characters from the book, movie, or TV show aren't there.

(ends weird off-topic rant) [Razz]

As to your theory, I think it works pretty well. Although I'd say the proportions are off. People are not as scared of newbies as they are of a strange virus. So, while in COTM Quara was in the minority wanting to communicate with the Descolada, here the minority are those that are suspicious.

But then again, newbies can be pretty frightening! [Eek!] [Wink]

Edit: Ela=Quara (see, it's been years!) [Razz]

[ July 16, 2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: hansenj ]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
It was Quara who wanted to talk to them and she only did it to be contrary. Ela was the one who was studying ways of "castrating" it. The general concensus was to keep both lines of research open and wait and see, which, from what I can tell, is what is usually done here. There are people who are suspiscious and investigations may be undertaken, but I don't think anything really drastic happens.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm....

I would never devour a virus.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

You have and you will again. Silly Slash.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Kayla, I want a lot less 'castration' talk out of you young lady. It makes me uncomfortable.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

[Wink]

I guess after yesterday, it isn't such a hot idea for me to be bandying that word about, is it. [Big Grin]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Maybe my mono-virus is trying to talk to me through dreams.... [Razz]

I thought one of the girls, I don't know which one, absolutely did NOT want to kill the descolada.

I can't honestly remember the guys reactions.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug J
Member # 1323

- posted      Profile for Doug J   Email Doug J         Edit/Delete Post 
I just tend to ignore noob threads, what camp does that put me in?
Posts: 7083 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohaldo?
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I made a really funny castration joke two years ago and finally I was able to tell it to an understanding audience last night.

I work at a flower shop, and when we get the big oriental lilies in, we have to pull the anthers (the pollen-producing things) off of the stamens before the lily opens all the way or else it gets orange pollen all over. Technically, what we're doing is emascualting them, castrating them, you know - gelding them.

Everyone I ever tried to tell the gelding the lilies joke to have either never heard of gilding the lily or didn't know the definition of the word geld. Last night, though I had an opportunity to tell it to my roommate and she got it and she laughed.

I love you, Susan.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
Outside of Kayla, [Big Grin] (note the smiley, I am being sarcastic), The worse that has happened to me was being ignored.

Oh and called uppity by Ethics Gradient.

And my masculinity called into question by Slash.

And Pat saying my alias was weak.

Played the fool by all the Mafia in the last game(Katharina, zgator and HansenJ)

Wait I have been treated terribly. I am going to go cry now.
Actually I have never felt like I was not welcome. I enjoy the sarcasm.

I try not to take it personally. I would have said I never take it personally but I had a bad day yesterday and took it out on Kayla, which I still feel bad about.

edit to add: that I still have not received the normal newbie welcome by slash or trogdor.

[ July 16, 2003, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Head Ditch Digger ]

Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta agree with Head Ditch Digger's comments...it seems to me that, unless a newbie makes a big show of announcing themselves, they're treated congenially or ignored. At least, that's been my experience so far.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
My first few posts were all in serious threads and I was thoroughly ignored.

You know what's funny? I came and lurked here after having lurked around the Writer's Workshop for a few months, but the person that actually made me start posting was Baldar.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Don't feel bad HDD I don't believe I've been eaten by Slash either. If I was, he didn't make it a memorable experience because I don't remember!

AJ

Kayla
Member # 2403

HDD, I'm the worst thing that happened to a lot of people who know me. [Big Grin]

And I feel bad about yesterday. It wasn't you, it was me. [Frown]

However, in general, I am much more. . . nice, yeah, nice to noobs who know another Hatracker or two in real life. Like HDD. He and Patrick are related. So, I didn't hesitate to comment on his posts, give him a hard time, or joke with him. (Joking with him is pretty much giving him a hard time, but work with me here, I needed a third thing to complete the series!)

Noobs that are unknown take a while for me to respond to usually. First of all, because I have no idea who they are, which means they could be an alias of an old hatracker or a Ced or a troll (redundant?) or an innocent noob. I usually try to wait and see how it plays out. If they ask n00b questions, like "When is Crystal City coming out," or "When is Ender's Game the movie coming out," I might post and try to answer their question. Or if Leto is yelling at them about doing their own homework, or Slashy eats them for no apparent reason. You know. . . but basically, I just wait and see if they develop.

I fear that many just up and leave in frustration. Which is why HDD should be grateful Patrick is his cousin, who vouched for him. Otherwise, I still wouldn't be responding to him. Oh, wait, maybe that's a bad thing. . .

[Wink]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm crankytired of hearing about "How we treat newbies," because it's a bogus topic. The topic only ever comes up after some newbie comes in and acts all obnoxious, because some people feel it is improper to respond in kind (a topic I'm not addressing in this post.)

The truth is that most of us are very nice to newbies, welcoming them, giving them virtual cookies, etc. And most newbies work their way in quite smoothly. I personally have gone out of my way to recruit new members in the parachat room, and to be kind to new members in general. I am generally one of the ones to post a "Welcome! [Smile] " in a newbie's first thread. So I don't care for being characterized as suspicious of newbies when I chastise one who is deliberately rude to us and/or vulgar.

So, to be more appropriate to the debates we have had, I propose that a better title for this thread would be The Descolada Theory: How we teat rude newbies.

[/rant]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Megan:

quote:
...it seems to me that, unless a newbie makes a big show of announcing themselves, they're treated congenially or ignored. At least, that's been my experience so far.
You just have to make a lot of loud noises so people will notice you. That or suck up to anyone who has a lot of posts... [Razz]
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Actually, HDD, *I* was the one that called you uppity.

So, two of your bad experiences are from me.

*puffs out chest*

Not too shabby.

Though I am most proud of pointing out that you had your wife come defend your masculinity. I just killed myself with that. Oh... the irony.

[Smile]

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
If we combined this with HDD's thread about Hunting for Bambi, we could call this
The Descolada Theory: How we Hunt Nude Newbies

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You just have to make a lot of loud noises so people will notice you.
<--dances and sings because someone actually responded to one of her posts!

Seriously, though, I'm not really turned off by it; my mentality is more of a lurker. It's like any stable community, though...it takes a while for people to prove themselves, if it's even possible. Some people will stick around, and others won't.

And others will lurk and enjoy...I DO enjoy reading what people have to say here, and occasionally shouting into the wind and seeing what happens. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I was bringing this up now because while there was the troll last weekend, generally speaking it seems like heads are cool and calm at this juncture, which is the best time to discuss things. And like I said, strange things pop into your head during 15 hours of sleep...

AJ

Doug J
Member # 1323

- posted      Profile for Doug J   Email Doug J         Edit/Delete Post 
At least one a month Hatrack gets hit with a troll on the weekends.
Posts: 7083 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Another good reason to vindicate my decision of "no hatrack on weekends"!

AJ

Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
Slash- she was not defending me, she was bragging.
Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Uh huh. Whatever keeps you from crying yourself to sleep at night on your giant pillow.

[Smile]

Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

LOL [Big Grin]
Saruman
Member # 2275

- posted      Profile for Saruman           Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, where? I want to see Dawn's post. Please?
Posts: 651 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

quote:
This is Head Ditch Digger's Boss
Yes he is ALL MALE and he does everything he claims. Though we both tend to buy things not on the budget. We are working on thislittle habit. Just thought some of you need to hear it form the one who knows.

My dad also does not fit the sterotype.

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=016821;p=2#000070
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I called you something else offensive, HDD. Sheesh [Wink]
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I never announced myself, I just kind of started posting, and nobody did anything to me at all, they just kind of a) ignored me or b) responded nicely, which is perfectly normal, of course... (run on sentence?)

*shrug*

I think it helps if you're not loud and "Here I am!"-ish

[ July 16, 2003, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
See, when I first came here there were no newbies. I was treated like the king that I am. Ralphie made a thread dedicated to how much of a goober I was, Leo and I talked about "Our Town" and we all made merry in the pie thread.
Then the stinkin' mods let just anyone join hatrack. All you had to do was "register" and a glut of newbies came in and stole my thunder!

Yup. Life was better before newbies came.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I think comparing newbies to the descolada is a little harsh... It's like saying newbies come in, figure everything out, and then try to take it apart.

Oh, wait...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, when I was first here, we were all newbies and all we ever did was complain about how we missed the Big Mouth Lion forum and start Creation Vs. Evolution and Is Homosexuality Bad? threads. The closest we got to fluff was Original Potry.

You whippersnappers have it so easy these days...

*shakes cane*

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, that gelding the lillie bit is great, although I bet it's hard to tell it smoothly.

And Kayla, you responded to me from the beginning, which is one reason I like you. [Smile]

I think a noobie gets the respect he gives. [Smile]

[ July 17, 2003, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I missed this. I like it. I agree with Morbo! [Eek!]
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
dances and sings because someone actually responded to one of her posts
Sometimes I get like that too...

♫Mr. Cellophane ought to be my name, Mr. Cellophane... 'cuz you can look right through me, walk right by me, and never know I'm there.♪

You can either make a big splash or sneak around the edges. I prefer the sneaking around the edges... I think... people notice me more often... [Big Grin]

But seriously. How can anyone really have a proper conversation with someone they don't know and apparantly has no personality, which is how it looks with sneaking-in-around-the-edges people like myself? I do actually have a personality, if you're wondering.

It is a feature of communities to be suspicious of newcomers, and that's okay, as long as the community is not completely rude to even the polite people, which here at Hatrack, they are not. I'll say again; as long as the newbies are polite, everything seems to be fine.

I'll go away now.

EDIT: Look at my music notes! They worked! [Big Grin]

[ August 19, 2003, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Newbie question--->How did you get the notes? Did you paste from Word or something?
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirReal
Member # 5257

- posted      Profile for SirReal   Email SirReal         Edit/Delete Post 
This Newbie is just checking his numerical data within the hierarchy of Hatrack, pay no attention.
Posts: 172 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirReal
Member # 5257

Hmmmm, apparently, I'm of the "lurking" subset of the newbie virus. Back to it.
Posts: 172 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I treat newbies the way the Good Lord intented: I beat them up and take their lunch money. I just don't have the kind of dedication Slash and Pat have in sticking with the gimmick.

However, seeings how I'm feeling a bit peckish and need another ho-ho from the cafeteria snack machine: ::beats up eslaine and SirReal and takes their lunch money::

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

I was gonna buy chocolate milk with that! And a mystery lasagna too! [Grumble]
SirReal
Member # 5257

You merely had to ask and maybe I would have given you my lunch money. Although maybe a good whoopin is what I really need. Is this a right of passage? Am I in the "group" now?
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Am I in the "group" now?
Yeah - the "carries money on them" group.

We'll be seeing each other again.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread does not die yet! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Define Newbie. Am I still one?

As to the normal eating from slash and other forms of cyber hazing, I only recieved a few well meant threats from one of Raia's over protective friends (Calvin Maker does have a decent band though, so I forgive him).

I was loud and obnoxious, eat me already!!!

Man this thread is old.

[ July 16, 2004, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: J T Stryker ]

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Define Newbie. Am I still one?
lol, at a board where I am practically a fossil we always say that if you have to ask if you are a newbie, then the answer is yes. [Smile]

Then again...I am a newbie here, so I'd not be the best judge of things at this board. [Smile]

As for treatment of newbies...I think people have been fairly friendly here. I have been at board where "newbie hunting" was rather popular...and I have been elsewhere that people have gone out of their way to make new people feel warm and fuzy (heck, Terrygoodkind.com actually has a welcome forum).

Here...like anywhere else there are relationships that have formed over the years...and inside jokes that I have not clue what you are talking about, but it is rather friendly anyway...and there clearly are those who poke around in threads where new people have posted and make sure they feel welcome.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I was reading the beginning of this thread and thinking, "Now there's some people who haven't been posting much lately!" Then I realized it was 2003, not 2004. [Frown]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.