FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Queer Eye for the Straight Guy

Author Topic: Queer Eye for the Straight Guy
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone besides me watch this show last night on Bravo? I liked it quite a bit. I'm sure they did a lot of prep before hand, but even still the transformation that the five gay guys accomplished in one day was amazing!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I guess no one watched this show or even heard of it!

*pouts*

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about it, but I didn't get a chance to watch it, what with my wife monopolizing the TV with Big Brother and Last Comic Standing. OK, the last one was me, too...
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see it, nor did I hear about it, but you've got my attention. What exactly was it about?
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Heard about it, but I can only do one reality show at a time and right now "Big Brother" is it. Although if some of the houseguests don't show any signs of working brain cells soon, I'm going to be abandoning ship.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Godric, here you go.

quote:
They are the Fab Five: an elite team of gay men who have dedicated their lives to extolling the simple virtues of style, taste and class. Each week their mission is to transform a style-deficient and culture-deprived straight man from drab to fab in each of their respective categories: fashion, food and wine, interior design, grooming and culture.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Last Comic standing is excellent too! Darn I missed it.
Big Brother doesn't do anything for me personally.

The premise is that five gay guys give a makeover in both clothing and dwelling to a straight guy, generally because there is a big event coming up in the straight guy's life. The one-day transformations even if parts were pre-planned are pretty spectacular.

Here's the website with before and after pictures for the first two episodes:
http://www.bravotv.com/Queer_Eye_for_the_Straight_Guy/ (Kayla beat me to it!)

They don't try to make the straight guy over so that he isn't himself. They basically gauge the kind of guy he is and go with that which expresse him the most, especially for the clothing. The house and the apartment that they re-did were both pig-sties before too.

The gay guys all appear very comfortable with their sexual orientation and aren't up-tight about defining themselves and are thus more able to laugh, and make jokes as well. It was very funny. IMO.

I'm wondering if Karl Ed saw it, and what he would think. I don't think the show is trying to make a spectacle out of gayness or anything, but I wonder if a gay person watching it would find it as amusing as a straight person or if they would find it offensive by the way gay men are being portrayed in general. (I don't think they would find it offensive but I'm not a gay man either.)

All of the gay guys are clearly experts in their fields as demonstrated by the results. Most of them appear to have their own sucessful careers and seem to be doing this because it is interesting, not because they have to.

AJ

[ July 16, 2003, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a big fan of Big Brother, although my wife thinks that I am because she watched it for the last two seasons and therefore I watched it because I am incapable of not watching a television that is turned on and in the same room as I.

As for Last Comic Standing, I like it, but I wish we didn't have to see what goes on in the house. Frankly, it just makes me angry to see such shallow, mean people (except Dat Phan, who I think is both nice and very funny). If they had stuck to a more American Idol-like format, I'd be much better able to judge them solely on their comedy without having their personalities muddying the water for me.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I suspect your wife might like this show. I did, though I'm not a normal female. I wish they would include girls though that would wreck the name "queer eye for the straight girl" just doesn't work and do it in the Chicago area rather than NY because I know I have the fashion sense of a gnat.

Also in our area it came on at 8:30pm central time and then ran the second episode at 9:30 repeating the first episode at 10:30. I suspect they may show it again through out the week so you probably haven't missed it for good.

AJ

jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it today on the rerun at 6pm (edt), and I had to call my friend Holly to rave about it. It's the one with the artist having a gallery opening.

I laughed all the way through, and almost cried because the straight guy was so overwhelmed at the end.

I have to agree, too, that they don't try to make the guy a cookie cutter fashion plate, but they suit his clothes (punpun) to his personality. I was just amazed at what a new haircut could do for that guy Brian! I think he was a little choked up when the fashion guy showed him the tshirt he made with Brian's art on it.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
what is this show? so far it sounds like 5 gay guys giving a straight guy a makeover.

is this the case?

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
odouls, yes, that's the show in a nutshell.

hee...nutshell.

[Cool]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I would so watch this show if I had cable. Alas, I do not.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that despite all of the ways the show could have been horrible, they put thought and care in the story and the show is well-done.

I haven't seen it, though.

[ July 16, 2003, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched this show with the morbid fascination of a drive-by witnessing a bad car accident. I was transfixed, horrified, and then I laughed with tears in my eyes by the end of the show. I too watched the artist get his work displayed in the photo gallery. They then bradcast the next episode back-to-back to the first one. This gentleman wanted to makover his home and appearance for his wife's birthday. At the end of this, I wanted to watch more.

Think, While You Were Out combined with a complete makeover.

[ July 19, 2003, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

yeah I was thinking it would be a train wreck too... instead by the end it was pretty touching!

AJ

Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I may be in the minority, but I would have to say that QEFTSG is my favorite reality TV show this season, and makes a dinosaur like Survivor, well, extinct on my TV.
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was great. The guy Brian made a huge improvement from his "Butch" mountain man look.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
My acting teacher told my class about this show. He said he and his partner found it hilarious. I haven't watched it...

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I think NBC picked it up...I saw a commercial for it a few days ago.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You were hallucinating.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
NBC bought Bravo a while back, so I imagine they'll pick up anything that Bravo has that smells like a hit. The same motivation has Bravo running marathon's of the genius, and critically acclaimed but poor performing NBC series, Boomtown.

Anyway, I caught the first two episodes and thought they were both brilliant, indeed outstanding at times. Sure the fashion consultant guy is desperately seeking his 15 minutes and tends to be a camera-hound, but it's funny, warm-hearted in its own way, and even insightful at times. It's also the only reality series I've ever been able to stomach. I've never watched more than one episode of any other reality series, and I've disliked all of those I decided to give a chance too previous to this one.

The third episode was supposedly pretty weak though, and kind of a failure, but I missed that one. Oh well, hopefully this next week will make up for it.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

- posted      Profile for filetted   Email filetted         Edit/Delete Post 
darnit. still missing it (I don't watch television).

The best plug I'd heard about it though was the "first reality show with a positive goal". Something like that.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

I'd almost given up on those makeover shows. This one blows them all away.
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
An acquaintance of mine from Rice worked on this show after she graduated last summer. She lived in my dorm and was in a few plays I worked on my freshman year, and is good friends with one of my best friends. Anyway, I haven't seen the show, and I don't know exactly what she did on it, but I'd really like to see it.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Actually I think one of the reasons why it works is because even though all of the fab five are gay and in fields that involve apearances, the only one that is really sterotypically gay is the fashion designer. And even though he is a bit of a camera hound he does do an excellent job with the clothing so that it all works. I wish they would show more of the home remodeling but I guess that isn't as much the emphasis of the show as the persona transformation.

AJ

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030804/tv_nm/leisure_queereye_dc_2

Jay Leno gets "the eye."

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This one blows them all away.
What a pun, sicko.
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

bump, for Karl Ed to find if he wants to read it. Incidentally I've read reviews on both sides, some that say that the show is still demeaning and stereotyping of gays but is still better than most of the other options for the gay audience, and others who think the show is warm funny and original with little sterotyping going on.

AJ

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it for the first time on tues, (along w/ THE O.C. OH YEAH!) and I thought it was great. The show itself is really amusing and all of the Fab 5 are so much fun to watch. Although I don't particularly like the blond guy, fashion. He's just a little TOO sarcastic. But I do llike Jai, the culture guy. He's just awesome and really sweet. All over though, I like the show....hee hee hee
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

My favorite person is Ted, the cook. The man may be gay but look at him, he's a dyed in the wool nerd, with the glasses and everything! [Smile]

AJ

Juliette
Member # 5484

- posted      Profile for Juliette   Email Juliette         Edit/Delete Post 
Evie3217, saxon75 and I watched The O.C. on Tues also. I'm curious to know what people who aren't from Orange County thought of it (are you from Orange County?, because I'm curious about what you thought even if you are). We thought it was a bit 90210ish, entertainging but not sure if it's worthy of another viewing.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juliette
Member # 5484

- posted      Profile for Juliette   Email Juliette         Edit/Delete Post 
sorry to take the conversation away from QEFTSG
[Embarrassed]

Posts: 38 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm wondering if Karl Ed saw it, and what he would think. I don't think the show is trying to make a spectacle out of gayness or anything, but I wonder if a gay person watching it would find it as amusing as a straight person or if they would find it offensive by the way gay men are being portrayed in general. (I don't think they would find it offensive but I'm not a gay man either.)

I saw my first episode on Tuesday. I thought it was pretty cool. Sort of a combination of "While you were out" and a Jenny Jones style makeover show, but with a gay slant.

I agree that it is totally playing on certain gay stereotypes, but at least they are flattering stereotypes. These particular stereotypes (fashionable and have good taste) are generally only offensive to the gays that don't fit the stereotype. (And trust me, there are plenty of gays who don't fit that stereotype).

The biggest drawback of this show is that if the advice from the "Fab Five" becomes mainstream it's going to muck up my gaydar. I mean if all men become stylish and well groomed how am I supposed to know which ones are gay? [Wink]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Juliette, I'm not from the O.C., but I find it quite amusing.
quote:
We thought it was a bit 90210ish
I agree. I thought it was incrredibly dramatic and a little soap opera-ish. I watched it for the pure amusment of it, laughing because it's just way too overdone. I don't know if I will be watching more of it either, but I certainly found the first one amusing. And can i also say that i don't think the main girl (Misha Barton, ?) is very good @ playing drunk.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Note for those who started with Tuesday night's show: of the four I've seen, that was probably the weakest. Still a lot of fun, but not much emphasis on cooking, not a lot of grooming changes, and the fashion guy was cattier than usual at the end wrapup.
I suspect the needs of the straight guy will determine the flow of the show. The culture guy had very little to do the first three shows, it was good to see him in action.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen this show. Do they try to go with the straight guy's personality or just do as they want?

I've seen several of the home improvement shows. On some, they actually listen to the homeowner or neighbors/friends and on some the designers do as they please no matter how much the neighbor protests that it won't be liked.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

they definitely go with the personality. In the case of decorating the designer has a bit of a free hand, but generally speaking the high priority is organization.

AJ

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
On one of these the designer not only left a feature he hated (stick-on stained glass window decals) because the owner asked specifically to keep them, but he used the colors from them as his palatte for the rest of the room.

If you're a Trading Spaces fan, it's much more Frank than Doug.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.