FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Johnny English- A comedy worth seeing

Author Topic: Johnny English- A comedy worth seeing
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Sat around tonight wondering what the heck I should do and came to the conclusion that I should call girls up and try to go on a date. After the 3rd call, I found success in my #1 choice of girls. Why was she the 4th person to call? Well, because I didn't think she would say yes. In fact, I had already tried once.

But anyway, she said yes! And she even suggested we go see a movie, since we both worked at the theater and can see free movies (gosh, I love the word free). She went on to further my stunned mind to suggest we go see Johnny English.

[/the bragging part of this thread]

This movie is definately a movie you should see if you like comedys. The great thing about this, IMO, is this is more of an action with humor in it, than a comedy with action in it (ala Charlies Angels 2).

[ July 18, 2003, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take your word for it and go, seeing as how I get free movies too. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
You're both a coupla punks, ya know that? [Big Grin] I wanna go see movies for free! I'm addicted to all movies! I've been going through withdrawals here in Alaska seeing as how I'm 208 miles from the nearest theatre, and you both have the gall and nerve to tell me that you can go see them for free! [Wink]

I should go vent my spleen in that screaming for no reason thread...

[Wink]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what else sucks? The fact that's it's probably light out 24 hours a day where you are. Ahh... Sweet darkness...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's daylight for MOST of the day anyway...there are a few hours of dusk-like darkness...but I'm a night person! I needs more stars! Aiyeeeeeeee...

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duragon C. Mikado
Member # 2815

- posted      Profile for Duragon C. Mikado   Email Duragon C. Mikado         Edit/Delete Post 
did she like it?
Posts: 622 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
She laugh at a few things, but not at a few things that I found funny.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw Johnny English. I liked it. The script wasn't that great. The plot was pretty silly, and Malkovich's French accent was just terrible. But Rowan Atkinson is one of the best comic actors that has ever lived. He's my hero. He could read the phone book and I would wet my pants laughing. It's nice to see him working again. Totally worth the money.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS AHEAD

You liked Johnny English? I thought it was pretty bad. It had moments that were incredibly funny--the look that the personal secretary flashed English as she was being wheeled out of the front room of Pegasus's office was one of the funnier things I've seen in a movie in a long time. For the most part, though, the movie just felt a little flacid.

One thing that really pulled me out of the movie was the Australian Interpol agent wanting English to assist her in solving the case. I mean really, why? Why on Earth?

A) She was depicted as being an incredibly competent secret agent type until then, and had observed, over and over, that English wasn't. Someone who was good at that kind of thing wouldn't compromise themselves with a trainwreck of a partner voluntarily, regardless of their feelings.

B) I didn't buy that she was attracted to him. Initially I thought that it must be a ruse of some sort on her part, but appparently it wasn't. Well, I don't buy it.

Details like this matter to me, even in a silly comedy. For anything story to work, it has to have internal consistency, and for me this scene shattered that consistency.

That said, I'm glad I saw it; the funny bits really were hillarious.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.