FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gigli

Author Topic: Gigli
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I evil, to be feeling a perverse joy at the Gigli disaster? Never in my life, well at least recently anyway, have I ever felt such pleasure at a movie bombing (at least with the critics). Needless to say, I've never seen a worse rottentomato rating. Gigli will likely get the razzy for this year, unless the duo comes out with another movie.

Hollywood's most unctuous couple ever? Anyone?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Gigli-1124237/

Anyway, I've got to get back in touch with my inner nice guy, so I'll try to steer clear of Gigli related news for a while. What are your thoughts?

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deidra
Member # 5455

- posted      Profile for Deidra   Email Deidra         Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda feel a little sorry for the two, but that is just me and I am not going to see the movie if I have to pay for it. Just to let you know the couple is coming out with another movie, this year i think, called Jersey Girl.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am making a killing in the Movie Stock Market betting this thing collapses.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not alone. I've never felt such a perverse pleasure at watching the rottentomatoes reviews. I've been checking the thing a couple times a day and I've even read about 20 full reviews. I love it. [Evil] [Evil Laugh] [Evil]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I actually want to see this film, just to see if it is as bad as the reviews say it is. Or are the bad reviews just a backlash because the media has made so much of the Ben/J-Lo relationship.

The same sort of thing happened with Proof of Life, the Meg Ryan/Russell Crowe film that had so much gossip surrounding it because of their relationship. All the reviews I saw of it said it was just the worst thing. Being one to make my own mind about such things, I rented it once it came out on video to see just how bad it was. And you know what - it wasn't great cinema or anything, but I liked it. And I found that because of the relationship thing, the reviewers I read and heard even talked about the movie all wrong, claiming that it was Meg Ryan's character who fell in love with Russell Crowe's character, "just like on the set," or some such drivel. Well, as far as I could see, it was his character that fell in love with hers and the reviewers couldn't keep real life and the plot of the film straight.

Just my opinion.

Edit to correct code. It's been a long day. [Dont Know]

[ August 01, 2003, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: littlemissattitude ]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Ben Afflucked made a bad movie? No way! [Cry]

Jennifer Lopez made a bad movie? No way! [Cry]

We haven't found any WMD? No way! [Monkeys]

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
The last time I was this happy that a movie tanked this bad was BattleField Earth. I hate L. Ron Hubbard and was glad to see Johnny Travolta waste his Scientology money on this dog.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

I almost forgot about that msquared, perfect example, that pleased me a great deal as well. I often wonder how many Hollywood stars actually have an internal "---- alarm" or not? How could you not realize that movie sucked, heck, right after make up, alone, I think I would have sniffed it out?
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I just saw the early estimates, and Gigli opened at #8. It made 3.8 million dollars in its opening weekend. Just for perspective, Johnny English and 28 days later both made well over twice that much when they opened. My soul is happy today.

[Evil] [Evil Laugh] [Evil]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
LMA, I thought Proof of Life was a great movie. Then again, I ignore most of the Hollywood press stuff, so I didn't hear about anything on the set. The thing about Gigli, it just looks bad. None of the trailer or preview footage is funny. Maybe that's just due to having bad movie marketing (look at Lilo and Stitch - how many people thought it was set in and around other Disney movies?) but I wouldn't spend money to find out for sure.

Maybe my dislike of Ben Affleck is due to just having seen Daredevil.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I just wanted to point out one other thing on the box office totals that made me happy. On last week's list, Charlie's Angels 2 and 28 Days Later had both been out 5 weeks. And 28 Days Later was two spots above CA2. It beat CA2 by $800,000 and it was shown on about 350 fewer screens. Take that, Hollywood hosebags!

[Laugh]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The part is hate is the pronunciation.

"It's pronounced 'JEE-lee'. It rhymes with really."

No, it doesn't. Really is pronounced 'rilly'. JEE-lee rhymes (mostly) with creepy, but that's about it.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Túrin
Member # 2704

- posted      Profile for Túrin   Email Túrin         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, it has Jennifer Lopez in it, so it's pronounced "Jiggly."
Posts: 49 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
It's fascinating that there are actually a few favorable reviews on the site. And a slightly larger number that rate it as a mediocre movie rather than a world-class bomb.

The latter reviews are the most fun to read, though. Some of the reviews are really creative in describing how bad the movie is. Some of the reviewers seem to have been just waiting for film they think is this bad just so they could let out all the stops. Kinda makes me wish they'd do it more often, as long as they steer clear of a movie I care about. [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean. Reading the reviews for Battleship Earth was the most fun I've ever had on Rotten Tomatoes.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda like reading the reviews at SomethingAwful, isn't it. Especially the one posted a couple weeks ago.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I sincerely hope Jersey Girl isn't going to bomb as bad as Gigli... Of course it will, because of the lack of Jason Mewes. [Cry] Come back, Jay!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Really is pronounced 'rilly'.
Amen, Kat! Unfortunately, the Harvard dialect survey shows that we're in the minority.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The Onion's perspective:

http://www.theonion.com/onion3929/gigli_focus_groups.html

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a good thing we have one last, trustworthy news source.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Ralphie, you are so cynical. We actually have two news sources: The Onion and The Daily Show.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Did you see what John Stuart said about Gigli last night? It was great. I don't remember exactly what he said, so I can't catch the comedy spirit. But he was talking about the bad reviews. Then he said that someone in the paper that morning had said that it wasn't the worst movie they'd ever seen. Which seemed pretty good, until you realize that the person who said that was the movie's producer. [ROFL]

Oh, what a trainwreck.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

$110,000

I cleared

On the Hollywood Stock Market Game by betting this bomb would bomb its first week.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Oh, Ralphie, you are so cynical. We actually have two news sources: The Onion and The Daily Show.
You are so right.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for Geoffrey Card   Email Geoffrey Card         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Gigli failed for the same reason that The Real Cancun failed. Famous people that America likes to stare at in horrified fascination on TV don't usually rate a nine-dollar ticket and two hours of uninterrupted horror. Ben Affleck and J-Lo have their own independent successful careers ... but together, all they are is every other cover of US magazine, and no one really wants to look at that any longer than they have to.

That's why they invented the grocery store express lane.

Posts: 2048 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Also, the movie is bad.
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked "Proof of Life," too, but I've pretty much liked Russel Crowe movies ever since L.A. Confidential. Oh yeah, and Kim Bassinger was muy excelente, as well.
Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

Anyone seen Romper Stomper? I never got around to seeing it. Like the equally dark, "Chopper," which starred the guy from The Hulk, and Black Hawk Down, (something Bana), I could never find myself in the right mood for it.

Proof of Life was fine, much better than the critics let on (it was almost as if they wanted to bash it), but I don't think it great. Just a solid, nice, rentable movie, not something I'd want to pay nearly a ten spot for.

[ August 05, 2003, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: graywolfe ]

Shy Violet
Member # 5241

- posted      Profile for Shy Violet   Email Shy Violet         Edit/Delete Post 
The movie looks terrible, but somehow the name makes it worse...I work at a movie theater and if I hear one more person say "I wanna see Jiggly at 7:45" I swear I'll vomit.

Why not choose a title that more accurately depicts the plot?
My vote goes to JLo and Ben's Movie'O'Crap.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

If nothing else, I will be saying, "It's Turkey Time - Gobble gobble!" for at least the next decade.

Thank you, Gigli.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.