FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Human Batteries

Author Topic: Human Batteries
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
How far-fetched was The Matrix?
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of this technology being refined to process all sorts of nanotechnology that will supposedly elicit all sorts of information.

Even scarier is if a tracer program were introduced to a homan host in something as inoculous as a "harmless" immunization. Then, your body could supply the power to keep the device transmitting to whomever is listening. Paranoid conspiracy theorists claim these micro-microchips already exist.

The PSOne game, Parasite Eve also touched on bioelectricity, primarily through the mitochondria present in every human cell. But that is another story...

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing that made the Matrix's concept so flawed was not that it was impossible to get energy from humans, but that getting that energy is going to be horribly inefficient. The human body needs way more energy going into it than it ever could produce. The machines would be better off burning the nutrients in a furnace and getting steam than to feed it to humans for their energy producion.

Interesting technology though [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EllenM
Member # 5447

- posted      Profile for EllenM           Edit/Delete Post 
*Idea,if the batteries burn more energy then the body can produce, maybe nanotechnology can be used for weightloss.*
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier, exactly right about the Matrix.I loved the idea of everybody trapped in a virtual reality, I must get to the sequel.
But the idea of using power from humans to run a machine civilization was totally laughable.

If the machines had instead stolen "computation cycles" from human brains, that would have been a lot more reasonable.

I wonder when a device that can run indefinitely in the body will be marketed?
Before 2010? [Dont Know]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Great minds must think alike, Ellen, because I was going to say the exact same thing.

The quote below has enormous implications for dieters.

quote:
But that would entail converting all the food eaten by the individual into electricity. In practice, less power would be generated since food is needed by the body.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Morbo, we'll probably see it in medical devices like heart pacers and medication pumps. Perhaps even something imbedded for monitoring blood sugar and then injecting the proper amount of insulin.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the matrix a while ago, and I do think that the entire battery concept was bogus. This is a really old thread by the way... I don't see any of these names posting anymore...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
Morbo and Alucard still post.
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen them for some time. I wonder why the others don't post anymore.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Amka is rather busy.

Xavier still posts on occasion. And I think EllenM has other screen name(s).

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

oooo
So amka is a mom now?

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same first thought as Amka and EllenM.

>_>

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Alt, this is Amka's fourth child. She's been a mom for some time. But there's no child quite so demanding of your time as a newborn.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

@.@
I din't know she had four now. I'll probably end up having around five, I want all girls. I'll probably wait until I'm at the peak of my career to I have a child though. I plan on having all five girls before I'm forty. I hope I do get all girls, but if I get boys, well what can I do right? [Dont Know]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.