FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Homosexuality: The Biggest Problem Facing America Today (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Homosexuality: The Biggest Problem Facing America Today
Cavalier
Member # 3918

- posted      Profile for Cavalier           Edit/Delete Post 
I was agreeing with you Jon Boy. I'm assuming you're saying the LDS church is mischracterized as being blatantly anit-homosexual. As is the Catholic Church. It's just another example of the same thing, not a criticism.
Posts: 183 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, okay. I thought you were telling me to stop generalizing, which didn't make any sense. And really, all I was saying is that it isn't just a choice between following a religion or trying to find God by yourself. There's a great deal of overlap where religions encourage people to find God. I was just pointing out Thor's false dichotomy and poor generalizations.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like where this thread is going. I think we should all just quit posting here and let it die a natural death.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you bump this?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silverblue Sun:
quote:
Have you forgotten more than 50% of all homeless shelters and soup kitchens?
No. Have you forgotten scripture? The rich and the religious need the poor. They are the ones who would lose out by solving poverty, so they do not teach men to fish, they teach men how to accept charity. They do not provide men honest jobs with honest wages with housing kept under honest pricing controls, they provide soup kitchens and homeless shelters.

The religious society does not seek to end poverty, only to milk it.

<T>

And P....don't forget. Religion killed Jesus.

You must have no familiarity with an LDS employment center, or how the entire welfare system of the LDS church works. The entire premise is that if you are going to give someone charity, you must be teaching them how to become self-reliant. I needed help once from the church financially, and I am currently seeking a new job through their employment center. In both instances, I have been taught the sacred nature of the charity funds and given tremendous help in becoming self-sufficient. They want you to get on your own two feet as soon as possible, and I know this from firsthand experience.

I can't speak for other churches, since I am LDS, but you did include LDS above as one of the greed-promoting churches. I suppose any church that receives money from its members must be greedy, no matter how much good they do with that money.

And yes, I will continue to give tithing and donations to my church, because I have never seen an organization that was more efficient with donated funds and runs on a largely volunteer basis (including the prophet of the church).

And if you think, as some believe, that the top leaders of the LDS church are making personal profit from their positions, check with the auditing company that audits the LDS church every year.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You do realize you are arguing about a 3-year-old post written by someone who almost never posts on Hatrack these days?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
And wasn't particularly taken seriously when he did?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

[ROFL]

My bad. That's what I get for posting when I'm exhausted and should be in bed.

And that's why I was thinking in the back of my head, "Man, it's been a while since I've seen him post." Guess I should look at the date next time.

I think I'll go to bed now... [Blushing]

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen this?
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been to the movie, nor will I purchase it. The idea that Jesus did not exist as a historical figure (whether or not you believe in Him as a religious figure) is so much in the minority in the historical and religious scholarship communities today, that the statement is largely considered to be ingorance by the scholastic community. There is currently more evidence that Jesus of Nazareth existed as a historical person than there is that Julius Ceaser did.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Andi, that's not true. I mean, you can contend that he existed, and you can even claim that his existence is currently the consensus view. But the idea that he's better attested historically than Julius Caesar is just hyperbole.

For the record, the reason I don't think he existed isn't just the lack of historical documentation. It's the presence of historical references to people such as Yeshua the Notzri, who lived a couple of centuries BCE, and who pretty clearly served as at least one of the models for the character of JC.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
You know, Andi, that's not true. I mean, you can contend that he existed, and you can even claim that his existence is currently the consensus view. But the idea that he's better attested historically than Julius Caesar is just hyperbole.

It's not just not true, it's laughable. His existence is certainly the consensus view, but there are mountains more historical evidence for Caesar than for Christ.

Not to mention that for centuries it was a death sentence to deny His existence, which clouds the issue.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
I cant believe I just spent the last twenty minutes reading this thread only to find out it its three frakkin years old....
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

quote:
Originally posted by Damien.m:
I cant believe I just spent the last twenty minutes reading this thread only to find out it its three frakkin years old....

Yes, but it's good to know your history, for he who knows not his history is bound to repeat it. [Big Grin]
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew something was oddly familiar about this.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Homosexual behavior is certainly no worse than many other behaviors identified by the Bible as sin; indeed, adultery and abuse and child molestation cause clear harm throughout society. The difference is there are no political lobbies and action committees campaigning to push their demands that everyone regardless of their religious beliefs must accept adultery, abuse, child molestation, etc., as acceptable lifestyle alternatives, on pain of legal prosecution.

What is the reason for the Biblical condemnation of homosexual behavior? I think it is because the Bible says God created man in His own image, and when Satan can induce humans to debase themselves by indulging in homosexual behavior, he exults that he has gotten humans to mock and dishonor God.

Furthermore, Genesis says that after God created man and other creatures "male and female" He called it good. A perversion of this arrangement is contrary to God's creation, and is not what He called good.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.