FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Intrigued but not quite there

Author Topic: Intrigued but not quite there
Potemkyn
Member # 5465

- posted      Profile for Potemkyn   Email Potemkyn         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been fun and there have been several enlightening topics here but all in all I think I'll move on.

It's been an interesting experience but one which I'm not to well suited to. I think many of you have noticed as much. Such is life.

Well, as my last act of gaul I'll act like you should care.

Goodbye.

Posts: 131 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, as my last act of gaul I'll act like you should care.
My last act in Gaul was to conquer. -Julius Caesar
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Viver la France. [Razz]

Sorry the place didn't suit you, Potemkyn.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Damn, Tick beat me. [Mad]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
That's too bad Potemkyn. Bye!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on back to Ornery. We love every one over there.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Yeah, they ought to make the motto of Ornery 'Carin' and Sharin' since 2000' (or whenever it was started).

[Razz]

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Go ahead, Storm. You can never have too many Gaul jokes.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Storm

[Taunt] [Taunt] [Taunt]

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
"These Romans are Crazy!"

(Does anyone perchance know where that quote is from...?)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Asterix, of course.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I thought it fit.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qsysue
Member # 5229

- posted      Profile for qsysue   Email qsysue         Edit/Delete Post 
These smilies everywhere are enough to drive me away.
Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
*waves good naturedly*

Bye!

It's not for everyone, that's true. Hope you at least enjoyed some of your time here.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Did something happen, Potemkyn?

Sorry you are leaving.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Potemkyn
Member # 5465

Because I was asked, I will respond.

While there certain elements which were very enjoyable (I really liked the game threads), the flow of ideas here at Hatrack seemed stiffled. Not that there wasn't intelligent discussion, but that the flow of ideas was in a particular direction, a direction I didn't care to flow with.

To be honest, I enjoyed the change of pace but enough was enough.

Thanks for caring.

C'est la vie.

Posts: 131 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
You are welcome to return when you need a vacation to this strange place where, "the flow of ideas was in a particular direction".

I would have used the word Peculiar instead of Particular.

That may become our motto.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm fascinated; that was an intriguing answer.

What's your take? Where's the flow? We talk to each other about ourselves all the time, but hardly ever get a fresh take. What did you conclude?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Potemkyn
Member # 5465

quote:
Now I'm fascinated; that was an intriguing answer.

What's your take? Where's the flow? We talk to each other about ourselves all the time, but hardly ever get a fresh take. What did you conclude?

I'm responding to this query.

While the game topics were usually fun (as I've already said), I post in order to get better ideas. Humans by themselves can only go so far intellectually. As individuals we all have a unique perspective which allows for an incrediblely diverse set of ideas. Unfortunately, one human cannot come up with all of these ideas, thus one needs to be in the company of other intellectuals (or pseudo-intellectuals) to get a new perspective and new ideas.

For that reason, I came to Hatrack. I post because I can get new ideas and expand my old ones, and I had been told that there was a fair amount of intellectual discussions occuring here.

I stopped by and enjoyed myself with the games, but when it came to intellectual discussion, this site seemed stifled. The general train of thought progressed in a similar fashion (most people had the same opinion or there was little difference in actual opinion).

Even more distressing was the lack of seriousness which some times gripped the site. Now, I'm all for fun and games, but it appeared to me that some at the site were interested in arguing just for the sake of arguing. Also, not always bad, but when I attempted twice to create solutions to a problem or to build a common ground through which a solution could be found, I was found by myself.

To me the solution is more important than the method of solving it. It is always smart to know why a solution works, but more important that it work. I seemed to be slightly alone in this belief and that frustrated me.

I was also frustrated by my inability to produce a discussion which led to a solution.

Potemkyn

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I understand.

Yes, definitely visit www.ornery.com. Same kind of crowd, but they take their debates much more seriously over there. [Smile] I've heard it is even civil now that they have a good moderator there.

And honestly, that's probably why this place has relaxed so much. The Hatrackers that want a serious debate now take it there, which leaves/lets Hatrack to be a place more about the relationships and fun and games.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"These Romans are Crazy!"
Asterix. Obelix says it all the time.

[Hat]

I love Asterix.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMOd
Member # 5242

- posted      Profile for OrneryMOd   Email OrneryMOd         Edit/Delete Post 
Potemkyn is already a valued member at Ornery.

OrneryMod

Posts: 45 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMOd
Member # 5242

- posted      Profile for OrneryMOd   Email OrneryMOd         Edit/Delete Post 
katharina,

Just a quick note, while the .com will work, it is actually .org.

OrneryMod

Posts: 45 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Raia! I love that stinkin smiley!! [Hat]

Er...sorry. I probably just proved the "Hatrack isn't serious enough to maintain a train of thought" argument.

But I do agree with katerina...life has been a little less stressful here now that the major debates have gone to ornery.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The general train of thought progressed in a similar fashion (most people had the same opinion or there was little difference in actual opinion).

This made me laugh. And laugh. And laugh some more. What a fallacy.

Did you read any of the serious threads? Just read the gay marriage thread, or the Israel thread if you want to see some huge differences in opinion.

If that's your main reason for leaving, then maybe you should reconsider. Otherwise, take care.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.