FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Church of Universal Love and Music

Author Topic: The Church of Universal Love and Music
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
From one of the funniest Daily Show segments I have ever seen.

It is really a place. I can't believe it.

http://www.ilovemusicchurch.com/

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
That includes me out. . . I'm acappella church of Christ. . . ^_^

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
You're a church? I didn't know the heresy had reached so high. [Monkeys]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Daily Show. Jon Stewart and all the rest of the cast are hilarious.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course I am, Lissa. As are you. But only if we're together. I was sitting with another Christian at the time, so I took the liberty afforded by the promise "where two or more are gathered."

We were sure to mention his name, too. And since it was me and Laura, we tried to make sure there wasn't a man around, either.

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

http://www.ardmoreite.com/stories/072003/rel_music_church.shtml

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/07092003_bb_church.html

"Pritts says his land is now a non-denominational parish committed to spiritual growth through music."

This is quite a scam, and seems to be working. I didn't realize it was such a new thing, I thought it had been around a while.

I wonder what people in real churches feel about this? I love music, but this is a scam, and that is that.

[ August 09, 2003, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I am going to keep posting to my own thread indefinitely.

Wow, Liz, I think it is pretty ballsy of this guy to get around the local authorities by making up his own religion. But I wonder if Walmart could do the same thing?

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
He says his church has been around for 2 years. How long were you thinking it had been around?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I don't really know, Kayla. I thought it was just a joke from The Daily Show. Also, I am on a groupie email list, and I figured someone would have mentioned a new "music church" in Pennsylvania.

I wonder if other businesses could do somethinglike this to get around zoning laws. What is the criteria for starting a church?

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Following are three different ways a church can begin.

1. A church can be started as an "Outreach," or a "Daughter" church of an existing church. There should be clear documentation found in the Minutes regarding all the details of the relationship between the Mother/Daughter churches, regarding [but not limited to] limiting all actions to the approval of the existing church Board of Directors whether it be financial or otherwise; all receipts for tax purposes would be issued by the existing church Treasurer.

We have written a sample resolution in our SAMPLES VER IV to help you identify the issues.

Receipts for contributions to the church, can be written to donors from the very outset.

2. A church can begin as an "Unincorporated Association" and be tax exempt on its own - so long as it has organizational documents [By-Laws] which include the four statements required by the IRS, and essentially fulfill the intent of the 14 points found under the 501(c)(3). Minutes of the meetings [and other records] of the Board of Directors would be most essential.

We do not recommend this approach, but if you are interested in having more information, please contact us for further details and samples of excellent Foundational Documents.

Receipts for contributions to the church, can be written to donors from the very outset.

3. Form your own Non-Profit Corporation as soon as possible. This can be done in as little as a day, if you were to "walk the documents through" the state capitol, or a few weeks at the most. Some states [eg. California], require filing for exemption, and their approval, to be exempt from taxes. The overall time frame, to get organized, is pretty much up to you and how quickly you follow through. The most time consuming task is in writing good By-Laws that are Biblical and will give you something of biblical substance to defend yourself with if the church were ever sued.

http://www.admin-assist.com/resources_online_000002.php
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"The most time consuming task is in writing good By-Laws that are Biblical and will give you something of biblical substance to defend yourself with if the church were ever sued"

Crikey, it really is easy. The site seems to be based on Christian churches, or at least those which adhere to The Bible in some way. I wonder about "mother-daughter" churches of different religions. I wonder if it is easier to start an offshoot of a Christian church than, say, a Buddhist temple.

Off to read the bylaws of The Church of Universal love and Music.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I could not find any bylaws, just a mission statement. But I did find this sentence, which has tickled my funny bone:

"The Church of Universal Love and Music apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause to our churchgoers."

I am alternately horrified and made to laugh heartily by this whole make-up-a-church-so-you-can-have-a-music-festival scenario.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I was skeptical at first, but the Grateful Dead bear in the corner of the site brought me closer to God.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

GRATEFUL DEAD BEAR?

You sacreligious (insert insulting word)! That is the Bear of Beyond you speak of with such sarcastic nonchalance.

I am turning you in to the authorities.

Disclaimer:"The Church of Universal Love and Music apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause to our churchgoers."

Ralphie
Member # 1565

No way. I adopted a Dairy Farm and brought a Jell-o salad to the potluck. I'm practically the Universal Love and Music prophet.

In like Flynn, baby.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ralphie!

I just realized: Bear of Beyond=BoB=Bob Schopatz.

It is his religion, given a space at last.

Disclaimer:"The Church of Universal Love and Music apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause to our churchgoers."

Ralphie
Member # 1565

Well, great. Now I HAVE to join.

Stupid funny Bob and his stupid funny religion. [Grumble]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ralphie,
I agree. It is devastating. We have to join this religion because of Bear of Beyond(BoB) and his Evilly Funny Way.(EFW) We have to listen to his jokes, love universally, and dance to good music. I hate that.

eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa! I missed it!

How could I not join? [Hail] BoB!

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Eslaine, you are now a saint in the CoULaM, just under BoB in the hierarchy.
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Devotional Bump!

[Hail] BoB!!!

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, a church revival?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chade Fallstar
Member # 5581

- posted      Profile for Chade Fallstar           Edit/Delete Post 
The Daily Show is always hilarious. Except for some of the crappier reporters. The new girl, Samantha Bees?, is not living up to the rest.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IndexCard
Member # 4585

- posted      Profile for IndexCard   Email IndexCard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah, that was funny...Jesus wore the INXS shirt ^_^ I loved it! <3
Posts: 219 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"So, what WOULD Jesus' setlist be?"

"Well, we know it would start with 'Jesus is just Allright With Me,' and end with 'The Devil Inside.' "

OK, anyone for Jesus' setlist? I think "Let It Be" would be on it.

Any other suggestions? If he came back in the last century, and not incuding hymns, which songs would he enjoy?

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Horses by Patti Smith. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Do you have a link to the lyrics?
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Oops, it's actually her version of Gloria on the album Horses--->the pious may be offended with this link, proceed with caution, reality and art may collide...

Gloria

[ August 31, 2003, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, this is an honest opinion thing. If that is what you think Jesus would pick for his setlist, then I want to hear the lyrics. Don't post them, though, just the link. Posting the link is OK, right?

Any others?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.