FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Science Fiction/Science Future: What Does It Mean To You?

Author Topic: Science Fiction/Science Future: What Does It Mean To You?
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I've just finished watching a little documentary on the Dune Special Edition DVD called Science Fiction/Science Future in which a panel of authors and futurists discussed where they thought SF should go, and what its roll in society should be.

I found it entertaining, particularly Harlan Ellison's comments, but, as an iconoclast, I couldn't help but feel that there comments on what direction sci-fi should take, seemed a bit pompous. If everyone decided to start writing about the issues presented, i.e. the next step of evolution, and how mankind should adapt to the new pervasive techonlogies, how far would we get from a sort of Sci-Fi political correctness?

As with any form of art, SF needs to go out in left field, wander around, and generally find its own way without being defined.

Here's where you come in. What would you like to see Sci-Fi doing in the future? What direction would you like to see SF take?

After all, you are the people who will have to read this stuff.

[ August 10, 2003, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: eslaine ]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
what its roll in society
I must apologise for saying this, but when i read this I clearly saw a bread roll (white flour) floating in a crowd of people in a city.

On the point of Science Fiction, I agree with you. In fact, it never occured to me to make a judgement regarding something like this. I mean, you never sit down and say "What should music's role be in the future?" or "Where should fiction go?" Obviously, it's going to go wherever it goes.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Wheat rolls in society?

Thanks Teshi, at least I'm not alone in this!

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Telling Sci Fi what it should do next is backwords. It should be surprising us and showing us where we could go next.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.