FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm Ugly. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I'm Ugly.
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the Proof

More evidence

<T>

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
jeez, Thor. You are not!

[Frown] Are you okay?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see any tentacles. I was expecting tentacles.

edit: not only did I not see them, I also can't spell them.

[ August 11, 2003, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Bob the Lawyer ]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. You are not... You should be in movies.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, you're sort of a thinner, cuter version of me.

[Kiss]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not particularly ugly, Thor. You've kind of got a charismatic, quasi-Scottish bar band thing going on, which is even attractive if you accessorize properly. I know from ugly. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor,

I have seen worse. I am probably worse.

The one thing Tom and I agree on is that we hope our kids take after their mothers. Luckily, mine do, except for thier feet.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor, you look rakish. Something like a blurry Jack Black, only better looking. [Wink]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what mirror you've been using. You don't - I repeat, do not - look ugly to me.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, this is an obvious cry for attention. [Wink]

But Thor, honey, I've fallen in love with men much much uglier than you. And you know what a hottie I am [Big Grin]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Kama
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor, man, I so have you beat. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, puh-LEAZE.

[Roll Eyes]

You need to sign up for the newest addition to the Ralphie Correspondence School courses: Subtleties in Fishing for Compliments 101.

The class motto: Give a man a compliment, feed his ego for a day. Teach him how to fish for compliments, feed it for a lifetime.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about the whole 'ugly' vs 'not' issue today. Imagine my shock when I realized that I have slipped acros my own line of demarcation, there. [Dont Know]

Thor, hon, I dunno what to say, other than, "What Tom said."

Seriously, I don't know you very well, but the package you come wrapped in ain't bad at all. I don't mean for that to sound like a come-on, because I'm happily married. I meant it as a statement of fact.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
lol, Ralphie.

You know about artistic types and their insatiable egos, right? [Smile]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hi
Member # 5289

- posted      Profile for Hi           Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, if you want to prove how ugly you are, you should have chosen a worse picture than that! [Wink]

I’m actually surprised how a simple hair cut and a trimming of your beard did to enhance your appearance. You’re cute. So stop worrying about how ugly you are because you’re obviously- well, not.

Normally I would‘t comment on a person‘s appearance regardless whether or not they look nice because I do think a person’s visage should not be important enough to bear mention. So unless you’re compensating for a bad personality or... something, stop putting such emphasis on the way you look! [Smile]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
But are you oogly?

Or Ugli?

[ August 11, 2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Zalmoxis ]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, people disagree with Thor just for the sake of doing it, don't they. I guess you have too strong a reputation, Thor.

I got your back, buddy. You're ugly. [Razz]

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Thor better in the picture with the beard. In the picture without he does have that edgy Jack Blackish look.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor, I know everyone else is chiming in to pump your ego, but I gotta say it.

I would not date you.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not a very good judge. But love the shirt in pic 1. Where did you get it?
[Razz]

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
OK. So if I'm not a freaking freaky looking freakizoid, why have I not had a date in 2 damn years???

Sure, we could chalk it up to my personality, but I am very, very nice. I'm funny. I'm very, very kind.

So I don't know...

I just feel kind of Ugly.

I can't figure out what's made me so unattractive.

Poverty?
Unemployment?

Hmmmm....

<T>

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

I can't standing knowing that the talents of the world's best kisser are going to waste. [Kiss]
Kama
Member # 3022

Oh, please, Thor. Stop whining. [Razz]

I'm smart, I'm funny, I'm every boy's dream, and yet I've never had a boyfriend in my life.

Though I have to admit, I had more than one date within the last 2 years [Big Grin]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
((Thor)) We all feel ugly sometimes. I think what attracts people is getting past how we feel about ourselves long enough to make someone else feel special.
Hang in there kiddo, the right girl is out there.

[ August 12, 2003, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I'm smart, I'm funny, I'm every boy's dream, and yet I've never had a boyfriend in my life.

You can't be serious. Is it by choice or is there something seriously wrong with Polish males?
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier-- might be the freaking huge sword she carries around. . .
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
Thor, have you considered your geographical location as a possible cause of your apparent inability to get dates? I'd date you (based on your looks, of course, because none of us here at Hatrack know anything about your personality [Roll Eyes] ), but I'm up here in Massachusetts -- you'd have to come get me. [Razz]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

If I had to guess, Thor, I'd chalk it up to your...well, for lack of a better word, your vibe. I would expect that you just don't *feel* like someone that the women you'd be interested in would like to date. I've never met you, so I can't say for sure, but maybe you give off a feeling of neediness or desperation. Neither of those attract people, as a general rule. Maybe you just come off as a warm cuddly friend type, I don't know.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hi
Member # 5289

- posted      Profile for Hi           Edit/Delete Post 
Rarely does lack of dates have anything to do with your appearance directly. I've seen people that are much, much less attractive get tons of dates. I've seen people who are attractive get no dates at all. It's just how you present yourself, confidence (especially. Which people who think they're ugly appear to lack [Razz] ) and the *effort* you put into getting a girl most of all. You can't just expect a date to fall into your lap. It's unrealistic.

My brother for instance, everytime I mention my him to a new friend they would gush about how good looking he is. I know a a couple of people who have developed nearly obsessive crushes on him, but he appears to oblivious to it (I never mention it to him). However, at eighteen he only has two dates in his life. He's shy and has a very "don't touch me" kind of vibe to him. Those two girlfriends he had, they actually asked him out.

Maybe it's none of those reasons I've listed above. Maybe you're just unlucky. Well, either way, I hope you find the right girl. [Smile]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here are answers:

1) Kama hasn't had a boyfriend because she's picky, not because men aren't interested.

2) Thor hasn't had a girlfriend lately because he's at the age where women begin to be attracted to self-confidence and accomplishment, and he hasn't had much of either, recently.

My advice to both:

1) Continue to be picky, but not a perfectionist.
2) Lower your sights a bit. Women -- even the loveliest -- don't demand the kings of the Earth, but they ARE attracted to men who are visibly working towards their goals. Unless you start working much harder (also an option), you might want to consider picking up a smaller set of short-term goals (a more realistic option).

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Some people seemed to enjoy my sword. [Razz]

My mom says my expectations are too high. But I think they're quite moderate. So I'd rather go with Xav's option 2.

Edit: Hey Tom, you sound like my mom [Razz]

[ August 12, 2003, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Well, if Xav's right, you can always date NON-Polish males. If you don't mind LDRs, I'm sure there are Hatrackers here who'd like the opportunity. [Wink]
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Frick-Frack-and-Fruck.

I don't know, I believe enough nails are being hit on the head to build a house, or at the very least, erect a sturdy wall.

quote:
((Thor)) We all feel ugly sometimes. I think what attracts people is getting past how we feel about ourselves long enough to make someone else feel special.
Hang in there kiddo, the right girl is out there.

Yeah. I haven't really had long sustained periods of super steady self confidence these last two years, this whole poverty thing is wearing me down. It was a lot easier to deal with in my 20's, and now that life has just dawned on my 30's, it's wearing me down. It's a beast I must conquer.

quote:
Thor, have you considered your geographical location as a possible cause of your apparent inability to get dates? I'd date you (based on your looks, of course, because none of us here at Hatrack know anything about your personality ), but I'm up here in Massachusetts -- you'd have to come get me.
Ahhh, martha. This brings us back to the poverty thing, If I was a jetsetter, I could be set to Jet to massachusetts at the drop of a hat, but now I'm not sure my truck would make it. I'm resourceful, I'll think of something. Thank you, sweetheart.

quote:
If I had to guess, Thor, I'd chalk it up to your...well, for lack of a better word, your vibe. I would expect that you just don't *feel* like someone that the women you'd be interested in would like to date. I've never met you, so I can't say for sure, but maybe you give off a feeling of neediness or desperation. Neither of those attract people, as a general rule. Maybe you just come off as a warm cuddly friend type, I don't know.
My Vibe has always worked for me, but I will admit, the whole Superman/Christ syndrome has been a newer wrinkle that's popped up over the last 5 years. Neediness? Maybe. Desperation? No. I'm just the noisy broken spoke. Someone who is desperate is most likely to settle for less than they reall desire, need or want, and at this point, I'm about as stubborn as a mountain on this subject. I know what I want and I'll hold out til I get it (though I may whine a bit). If we could just get this BAND thing working, I could parlay the NEEDINESS thing into a positive. I make no arguements about needing attention. I love it. It's wondy. ...but I do feel I do many things that deserve proper attention.

quote:
Rarely does lack of dates have anything to do with your appearance directly. I've seen people that are much, much less attractive get tons of dates. I've seen people who are attractive get no dates at all. It's just how you present yourself, confidence (especially. Which people who think they're ugly appear to lack ) and the *effort* you put into getting a girl most of all. You can't just expect a date to fall into your lap. It's unrealistic.
I realize that most women are attracted to men with confidence. ...but do you know how many "ladykillers" I've known or seen loaded with false confidence? Overall I'm a very confident guy, I'm very smart, I'm very wise, I'm very creative, I'm very caring, I'm very funny...but I've lost my confidence on knowing where I fit in this fubar'd world. That's what's been killing me.

quote:
Maybe you're just unlucky. Well, either way, I hope you find the right girl.
I ***used to be*** very lucky. ..but maybe my past actions have come back to haunt me or the curse my last X-girl thing placed on my has stuck. I don't know.

Thanks. I like to believe that there really is someone out there for everyone, and that everyone who looks for love, everyone who believes in love and everyone who has faith in love will find it.

What ever path GOD has laid out for me I will take as my fate. Jesus was His Greatest Son and he got captured, tortured and crucified. If I go the rest of my life without a girl, it won't kill me. It'll just wound me greatly.

[QUOT

monteverdi
Member # 2896

- posted      Profile for monteverdi           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you should project so much upon the 'girl' part (of lack therein of...) of your once and future life. Girl and Money seem to be important status items to your self-esteem, Economy and economics of desire etc. This is ideology and one which you seem to want to engage as a christian martyr - when in fact what might be more appropriate is a closer look at the role of pride in your calculus - or at least in the results of the calculus. You seem to me to be a really good illustrator and excellent colourist...you should be painting murals - outside - taking advantage on natural textures and the human context of the street. The computer's driving you nuts Thor - no girls here - just desire plunges into infinite regress - the kids love it - the new cults need it - but you, so full, are getting emptied out baby --- I can hear the air hissing - you have got to get moving.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Listen to monteverdi. He speaks wisdom here.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
I think what mondescribing is a conclusion I came to last year:

I had had enough of breaking hearts and having mine broken, flinging emotions around carelessly, dating people because they were there, not because I needed someone. Finally I arrived at a point where I stopped dating: I spent a lot of time introspecting, writing, finding alternate outlets for my passions. It was the first time in seven years that I'd been without a boyfriend or girlfriend.

And I quickly became happy with my situation, learned to enjoy solitude, and stopped wishing I had someone.

Which is just where I was when I unexpectedly fell in love, and am still in love, the longest I've been in love with anyone in my life.

So don't harp on it, think about other things, and the girl may come along when you least expect her. Or not, but at least you'll find yourself along the way.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
No, you're not ! You have a beautiful smile...
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
why have I not had a date in 2 damn years???
*pouts* Thor, I have not had a date EVER!!!! Not a boyfriend, not a date, not anything even close... [Frown]

OK, I'm not in my thirties, but I am the only one. It's very sad.

Unfortunately I can't see colors and such on my computer, so I can't look at the picture, but I'm sure you're very handsome! [Wink]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Raia : don't worry. It can seem strange, but I never dated anyone else than the man I love and live with since two years.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Anna: Ok, thanks. It does seem strange. It's just sad cuz everyone else has, and I haven't... [Frown]

And everyone gets mad when I start talking about it.

Thor, I'm sorry to steal some of the thunder from your thread! (((((Thor)))))

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

People get mad when you talk about it? Around here or in meatspace?

Why do they get mad?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I'm personally amazed that you can't see colors on your computer. Why not?
Noemon
Member # 1115

A driver problem was my first thought.
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for Geoffrey Card   Email Geoffrey Card         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon is relaying all of these posts through a dog secretary.

Thor, I understand your confidence problem [Smile] I was raised in a very positive environment, in which I knew, beyond question, that I was intelligent, creative, and valuable. Plus, I have an excellent pedigree. Yet once I stepped into the outside world, no deeply-held knowledge of my intrinsic worth could explain to me why lots and lots of people didn't want to be my friend. And there were LOTS and LOTS of people who would rather tease me than do just about anything else. I came to expect that nothing I was or did could ever possibly impress anyone else, and that people disliking me would be the rule, while earning friends would be the rare exception.

This in contrast with my wife, who grew up in a much more negative environment, and was forced to fight for every shred of self-worth she has. Once she left home, she found herself much more capable of building large groups of friends and impressing people with her exceeding coolness, even despite the fact that she is naturally much more shy than I am.

So, what does that mean? Happy childhood = no friends? I doubt it, because there are plenty of stories that go the other way. In truth, there are way too many factors feeding into a human's level of self-confidence to fully define them all.

A lot comes down to being distinct. Being weird. The weirder you are, the harder it is to fit in, no matter how valuable a person you might be. We're all weird to some degree or another, but some people manage to make a stronger connection to the common human experience than others do. The stronger that connection — the more "grounded" you are — the better chance you have of finding a common ground with others, and building confidence in your ability to connect. Otherwise, we're all restricted to small or tiny subcultures of likeminded folk.

I've noticed that since the time you first arrived here, Thor, your posts have grown increasingly "normal" and comprehensible. Your opinions, outlook, and style are still totally unique, but at the same time, you're able to connect with people on a human level that you weren't able to back when you were challenging me to games of Risk. I think that's really valuable, because now you have the tools to really affect and change us with who you are, while before, you mostly just caught looks of strange fascination.

I don't know you in person, so I can't offer you any real counsel that would help you in real life. But just realize that the things you have confidence in — your intelligence, creativity, etc — are the things that people WILL like about you, once they get to know you. It took me a while to realize that my wife really does appreciate all my good qualities, even though thousands of people before her rejected me without even looking at them. You know a lot of people here at Hatrack who appreciate yours too. Even some who saw them through your most incomprehensible phases. So, you've got proof. It does happen. There are places where you fit. You just have to find those opportunities in real life [Smile]

And you are NOT ugly, so give yourself a break. And even more importantly, you're better-looking than your friends.

[ August 13, 2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Geoffrey Card ]

Posts: 2048 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff, I loved and agree with every word of your post.

I nominate Geoff as the coolest Hatracker of the Day. [Cool]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Or the CHoD for short.
Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Let me see.

No, I don't think you're ugly.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Katie, that is one of the most disturbing links I've ever seen.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Smile]

Wait - is disturbing bad?

[ August 13, 2003, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.