FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anime...

Author Topic: Anime...
Melchior
Member # 5519

- posted      Profile for Melchior   Email Melchior         Edit/Delete Post 
As a "hardcore" Anime fan, I always love to hear about other people who enjoy it as well, because there is not much love for it in my part of the country (the south-east, NC to be specific).

To get things started, Since I can't pick just one anime, I will pick two.

1. Voices of a Distant Star. An excellent short film about a two lovers seperated by an inter-gallactic war.

2. Hellsing. Lacking some places in plot, but there is a lot of violence. And vampires. And zombies.

Edit: How could I forget Evangelion, the greatest anime series of all time? Definately a favorite. After the End, I thought my brain was going to explode.

[ August 12, 2003, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Melchior ]

Posts: 50 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(is drawn to thread like a bee to honey)

Would love to see Hoshi no Koe... Missed it at the con. ;_; Maybe I'll buy it. Also missed Hellsing, but it sounds wicked good. Maybe I'll find a sucker to lend it to me at school [Razz]

My recs:

Escaflowne: It's a show that starts out slow, but has a great amount of political intrigue and character development. My only regret about this show is that some of the more interesting characters had to be pushed to the background. (Not to mention their fates at the end...)

Spirited Away: Watch it, it's absolutely beautiful. I cry every time I see it. A sweet little story about growing up and sucking it up, basically.

Magic Knight Rayearth: One of my all-time faves... It has an amazing twist at the end, though the second season is much better in manga (comic) form.

Those Who Hunt Elves: At least one of my recs has to be funny/for guys. Those Who Hunt Elves is a raunchy takeoff of fantasy-based hentai, but without nudity. Beware, the dub has words that children should not hear, but the series is so completely hilarious that it deserves a look.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Nausicaa is one of Miyazaki's most underrated works. Orange Road is also kinda cool in a Benny Hill, Sweet Valley Twins kinda of way.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Spirited Away - it was so cute. But as far as anime in general, I'll always have a soft spot for Fushigi Yuugi. FY was my intro to anime via my college roomie.

I wonder how many classes/chapels we skipped to watch the 52 episodes as uninteruptedly (heh) as possible?

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Q? Where did you go to school? I also spent many a Chapel break (at Valpo) watching anime - Trigun is among my favorites, though we also watched Battle Athletes (and BA-Victory), Tenchi (all of 'em), You're Under Arrest, Oh! My Goddess, Saber Marionette J, and a bunch of other ones.

And, every time an anime thread comes up, I always need to mention serial experiments lain, which I adore even though I don't totally understand it, and someday I will revise and expand the essay I wrote about it (the subject was personal identity).

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

Ooh, very cool, V.

I went to Harding U. with Lissande. ^_^ It was great.

Valpo - I knew a sem. major named Chris who went there.

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimmy
Member # 5518

- posted      Profile for Jimmy   Email Jimmy         Edit/Delete Post 
Well just recently I watched hellsing with two of my friends, it was alot of fun. We sat down one day around 9 o'clock and just watched it all. Thirteen episodes, four and half hour. I thoroughly enjoyed it, however it is not my favorite. Those same two friends have seen much more anime than I have, and always critize me for this because they say it's just a lack of diversity. But my all time favorite is Cowboy Bebop. So sorry to my two friends, but the truth remains.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
My current favorite is Witch Hunter Robin. Best animation I've seen.

Other serious series that I love are Noir (the music alone is worth watching it for) and Vampire Princess Miyu (the only time I've been completely surprised by an ending. I mean completely surprised.) and Eva.

But I still love The Irresponsible Captain Tylor as my favorite funny series.

For movies:
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Spirited Away
Mononoke Hime
Metropolis

As for Fushigi Yuugi, Q, I loooove Tasuki and Chichiri and Yui and Nuriko, but Miaka is so annoying.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

Okay, you caught me. I'm just secretly in love with Chichiri. I mean cute, kicks tail AND blue hair?? C'mon - it's enlightenment in a toga.

Q.

Duragon C. Mikado
Member # 2815

- posted      Profile for Duragon C. Mikado   Email Duragon C. Mikado         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Rurouni Kenshin (the originals, NOT the english prostituted dubs on cartoon network.)

The OVAs are really good too, as long as you don't get the crappy english versions of them called "Samurai X."

Posts: 622 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet_sheepy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for sweet_sheepy   Email sweet_sheepy         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooh, Tylor!

A friend lent me the series during my study break. Needless to say, I ended up doing a lot less studying than I should have, and a lot more [ROFL] than usual. [Big Grin]

Also, has anyone watched Azumanga Daioh? Highly recommended ... if only for the way Osaka-san speaks ... [Smile]

Check out http://www.pulpfilm.com/reviews_engine/show_review.php?review=52

[ August 12, 2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: sweet_sheepy ]

Posts: 18 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

Oh, definitely subs. The only dub I've liked is Spirited Away - and I only watched it 'cause they didn't have a sub in the theatre.

Q.

Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Trigun and Cowboy Bebop, all the way....Vash and Nicolas and Spike are my dream guys (even if they are animated.... [Blushing] ) I also enjoyed Fushigi Yugi and what I've seen of Lain. I've not seen VHD: Bloodlust, but I did see the original and I thought it was pretty cool. I saw Spirited Away recently, thought it was great - have y'all seen Princess Mononoke? Should I see it?
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

It's nifty, but the clicky-head guys are freaky.

Q.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

Read some of the Azumanga manga, it was interesting. Maybe I'll try and catch it after ADV releases it...

As for Fushigi Yugi... Well, I'd only watch it once, let's leave it at that... (kills self for buying some videos...)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
*slaps Avadaru with a flounder*

YES!! Go see all the Miyazaki films that you can! Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Totoro, Nausicca (sp?), and when you're done, come back and tell me who I have to kill in order to see Nausicca! [Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Read the Nausicaa manga. It's more indept. 4 Volumes. Perfect collection. Get it NOW.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Cowboy Bebop and Sprited Away, but that's it. Pretty much every other anime I've seen, I hated.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy most anime I see

My number one favorite is Cowboy Bebop, simply because it lacks absolutely nothing. It is, in my opinion, the [comic book guy]best anime ever[/comic book guy]

I'm also a fan of Trigun, Big O, and I've recently seen the most screwed up anime in history, also known as FLCL. I usually only get to see what's on the Adult Swim secion on Cartoon network as most of my money I need for college.

[ August 13, 2003, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Gottmorder ]

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Yay! Someone other than me likes The Big O!! Terrible title, but wonderful film noir-esque show.

Another title that I should recommend is Maison Ikkoku. Rare, but I just watched the first DVD box yesterday, and the dub killed me it was so funny. I usually dislike dubs too, but this one was just so... excellent...

UNIT 01X
Member # 5533

- posted      Profile for UNIT 01X   Email UNIT 01X         Edit/Delete Post 
I also watch ALLOT of anime and my favorite still has to be Evangelion. It has the greatest plot of all time. But i also really enjoy many others such as:
Hellsing
Outlaw star
Lain
Full Metal Panic
Scryed
FLCL
Trigun
These are probably my all time favorites but i have also seen many others including many movies.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwosonPaula
Member # 5511

- posted      Profile for TwosonPaula   Email TwosonPaula         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay...ALL anime fans must watch this show!

Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu.

Download the AVI's from someone and laugh until you cry. Make sure you don't give up in disgust after the first episode...many do. I've never met a person who watched more than one episode and wasn't hooked. It should be required watching for anyone going to college. That's right, I said ANYONE.

The evil hairdresser makes my son cry, though.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Don't download the AVI's. It got licensed!

Oops. My bad, not licensed, yet. There are rumors that AN Entertainment was going to, but nevermind.

Download to your heart's glee!!

[ August 13, 2003, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

TwosonPaula
Member # 5511

- posted      Profile for TwosonPaula   Email TwosonPaula         Edit/Delete Post 
That's right...uh...I mean DON'T download the AVI's. Thanks for the correction. [Wink]

Bweh...you're probably right.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.